Mailing List Archive

Test results from x86-macos
Okay, after my one-line fix to the bootstrap script, I got stuff
installed and then I followed the steps in the wiki, manually adding a
"~x86-macos" keyword where needed.

Up until the coreutils step, everything worked fine.

With coreutils (5.94-r3) I get this error:

/gentoo/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 1: /gentoo/bin/expr: No
such file or directory

Okay, so I manually fixed this by copying /bin/expr to
/gentoo/bin/expr. Then it compiles a bunch of stuff and fails with:

gcc -g -O2 -o csplit csplit.o ../lib/libcoreutils.a ../lib/libcoreutils.a
/gentoo/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
_re_compile_pattern
_re_search

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris
Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 9/10/06, Chris L. Mason <clmason@gmail.com> wrote:
>[...] Then it compiles a bunch of stuff and fails with:
>
> gcc -g -O2 -o csplit csplit.o ../lib/libcoreutils.a ../lib/libcoreutils.a
> /gentoo/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _re_compile_pattern
> _re_search

Okay, I fixed this. It works if you take out the
"--without-included-regex" option from configure.

Chris
Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 10-09-2006 10:10:22 -0400, Chris L. Mason wrote:
> Okay, after my one-line fix to the bootstrap script, I got stuff
> installed and then I followed the steps in the wiki, manually adding a
> "~x86-macos" keyword where needed.
>
> Up until the coreutils step, everything worked fine.
>
> With coreutils (5.94-r3) I get this error:
>
> /gentoo/usr/lib/portage/bin/ebuild.sh: line 1: /gentoo/bin/expr: No
> such file or directory

This is true, actually. I had it myself, but facked it by making a
symlink. Copying like you did works too.

> Okay, so I manually fixed this by copying /bin/expr to
> /gentoo/bin/expr. Then it compiles a bunch of stuff and fails with:
>
> gcc -g -O2 -o csplit csplit.o ../lib/libcoreutils.a
> ../lib/libcoreutils.a
> /gentoo/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> _re_compile_pattern
> _re_search

Interesting, I should have had them too. I'll try to recompile them.

> Any suggestions?

You could try and play a dirty trick by using LDFLAGS -undefined
dynamic_lookup but that might result in traps during runtime.

> Thanks,

Thank you for diving into it.

Can you produce a list of ebuilds that you keyworded so I can commit
them to the tree?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 10-09-2006 11:20:26 -0400, Chris L. Mason wrote:
> On 9/10/06, Chris L. Mason <clmason@gmail.com> wrote:
> >[...] Then it compiles a bunch of stuff and fails with:
> >
> >gcc -g -O2 -o csplit csplit.o ../lib/libcoreutils.a
> >../lib/libcoreutils.a
> >/gentoo/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> >_re_compile_pattern
> >_re_search
>
> Okay, I fixed this. It works if you take out the
> "--without-included-regex" option from configure.

I'll check this against the ppc version (it shouldn't differ). Looks
like the "external" regex might be just not the right version maybe?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 9/10/06, Grobian <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Thank you for diving into it.
>
> Can you produce a list of ebuilds that you keyworded so I can commit
> them to the tree?

I was going to do this, but then I tried "emerge sync" and overwrote
all my stuff. :(

Basically you can keyword all the stuff installed during the
instructions (up to gawk) and then all the dependencies installed when
emerge'ing portage.

Also, "emerge system" never did anything.

Thanks,

Chris
Re: Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
Grobian wrote:
> On 10-09-2006 11:20:26 -0400, Chris L. Mason wrote:
> > On 9/10/06, Chris L. Mason <clmason@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >[...] Then it compiles a bunch of stuff and fails with:
> > >
> > >gcc -g -O2 -o csplit csplit.o ../lib/libcoreutils.a
> > >../lib/libcoreutils.a
> > >/gentoo/usr/bin/ld: Undefined symbols:
> > >_re_compile_pattern
> > >_re_search
> >
> > Okay, I fixed this. It works if you take out the
> > "--without-included-regex" option from configure.
>
> I'll check this against the ppc version (it shouldn't differ). Looks
> like the "external" regex might be just not the right version maybe?

Those are GNU extensions, on any libc != glibc or uclibc you must not
use --without-included-regex. From the coreutils ebuild:

[[ ${ELIBC} == "glibc" || ${ELIBC} == "uclibc" ]] \
&& myconf="${myconf} --without-included-regex"

--
Emanuele
Re: Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 11-09-2006 10:00:45 +0000, Emanuele Giaquinta wrote:
> Grobian wrote:

> > > Okay, I fixed this. It works if you take out the
> > > "--without-included-regex" option from configure.
> >
> > I'll check this against the ppc version (it shouldn't differ). Looks
> > like the "external" regex might be just not the right version maybe?
>
> Those are GNU extensions, on any libc != glibc or uclibc you must not
> use --without-included-regex. From the coreutils ebuild:
>
> [[ ${ELIBC} == "glibc" || ${ELIBC} == "uclibc" ]] \
> && myconf="${myconf} --without-included-regex"

Then what profile did you (Chris) use? Can you post an emerge --info?
Darwin shouldn't have glibc, IMO...

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 9/11/06, Grobian <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > [[ ${ELIBC} == "glibc" || ${ELIBC} == "uclibc" ]] \
> > && myconf="${myconf} --without-included-regex"
>
> Then what profile did you (Chris) use? Can you post an emerge --info?
> Darwin shouldn't have glibc, IMO...

I messed stuff up when I did emerge sync. But I believe my profile
was setup correctly by the bootstrap, and it is pointing to:

/gentoo/usr/portage/profiles/default-darwin/macos/10.4/x86

There were two coreutils ebuilds that came with the bootstrap tarball,
5.94-r3 and 6.1. That ELIBC section above is only in 6.1, but I used
the 5.94-r3 (because that one had ppc-macos and 6.1 has "-*".)

I can try stuff again from scratch when I get home from home this
evening. Hopefully we can get the x86-macos keyboard added at least
to some of the basic stuff because it's really tedious adding that
manually to all those packages. :)

Thanks,

Chris
Re: Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 11-09-2006 07:30:18 -0400, Chris L. Mason wrote:
> On 9/11/06, Grobian <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> [[ ${ELIBC} == "glibc" || ${ELIBC} == "uclibc" ]] \
> >> && myconf="${myconf} --without-included-regex"
> >
> >Then what profile did you (Chris) use? Can you post an emerge --info?
> >Darwin shouldn't have glibc, IMO...
> >

> I messed stuff up when I did emerge sync. But I believe my profile
> was setup correctly by the bootstrap, and it is pointing to:
>
> /gentoo/usr/portage/profiles/default-darwin/macos/10.4/x86
>
> There were two coreutils ebuilds that came with the bootstrap tarball,
> 5.94-r3 and 6.1. That ELIBC section above is only in 6.1, but I used
> the 5.94-r3 (because that one had ppc-macos and 6.1 has "-*".)
>
> I can try stuff again from scratch when I get home from home this
> evening. Hopefully we can get the x86-macos keyboard added at least
> to some of the basic stuff because it's really tedious adding that
> manually to all those packages. :)

Coreutils 6.1 indeed is masked, because I figured out it does all but
work. Maybe backport the conditional then.

If you do it from scratch, please keep a list of emerged packages, such
that I can keyword them.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 11-09-2006 13:39:30 +0200, Grobian wrote:
> Coreutils 6.1 indeed is masked, because I figured out it does all but
> work. Maybe backport the conditional then.

it is masked, because it wants autoconf-2.60 which makes trouble

I ported the conditional for --without-included-regex, so it should be
fixed.

One question though... on my ppc-macos box I didn't install coreutils it
seems. When is it pulled in? Maybe I should redo it from scratch as
well... :/

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 9/11/06, Grobian <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On 11-09-2006 13:39:30 +0200, Grobian wrote:
> > Coreutils 6.1 indeed is masked, because I figured out it does all but
> > work. Maybe backport the conditional then.
>
> it is masked, because it wants autoconf-2.60 which makes trouble
>

> I ported the conditional for --without-included-regex, so it should be
> fixed.
>
> One question though... on my ppc-macos box I didn't install coreutils it
> seems. When is it pulled in? Maybe I should redo it from scratch as
> well... :/

I just followed the instructions in the wiki. One of the emerge lines
there says to install coreutils (which then fixes all the "stat"
warnings.) I guess the bootstrap also needs a temporary "expr"
binary, or maybe the ebuild can be made not to explictly check for
/bin/expr, then it would find the OS X one at the end of the
DEAFAULT_PATH.

This it the wiki:

http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage-prefix

Chris
Re: Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 11-09-2006 07:51:12 -0400, Chris L. Mason wrote:
> On 9/11/06, Grobian <grobian@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >On 11-09-2006 13:39:30 +0200, Grobian wrote:
> >> Coreutils 6.1 indeed is masked, because I figured out it does all but
> >> work. Maybe backport the conditional then.
> >
> >it is masked, because it wants autoconf-2.60 which makes trouble
> >

> >I ported the conditional for --without-included-regex, so it should be
> >fixed.
> >
> >One question though... on my ppc-macos box I didn't install coreutils it
> >seems. When is it pulled in? Maybe I should redo it from scratch as
> >well... :/
> >

> I just followed the instructions in the wiki. One of the emerge lines
> there says to install coreutils (which then fixes all the "stat"
> warnings.) I guess the bootstrap also needs a temporary "expr"
> binary, or maybe the ebuild can be made not to explictly check for
> /bin/expr, then it would find the OS X one at the end of the
> DEAFAULT_PATH.
>
> This it the wiki:
>
> http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage-prefix

Hmmm, yeah... I typed that howto myself :) Weird. I'll do the expr
thing in the bootstrap tonight it time permits

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Re: Test results from x86-macos [ In reply to ]
On 11-09-2006 13:58:56 +0200, Grobian wrote:
> On 11-09-2006 07:51:12 -0400, Chris L. Mason wrote:
> > >One question though... on my ppc-macos box I didn't install coreutils it
> > >seems. When is it pulled in? Maybe I should redo it from scratch as
> > >well... :/
> >
> > I just followed the instructions in the wiki. One of the emerge lines
> > there says to install coreutils (which then fixes all the "stat"
> > warnings.) I guess the bootstrap also needs a temporary "expr"
> > binary, or maybe the ebuild can be made not to explictly check for
> > /bin/expr, then it would find the OS X one at the end of the
> > DEAFAULT_PATH.
> >
> > This it the wiki:
> >
> > http://gentoo-wiki.com/Portage-prefix
>
> Hmmm, yeah... I typed that howto myself :) Weird. I'll do the expr
> thing in the bootstrap tonight it time permits

Ok, I've been compiling coreutils a few times tonight. the bin/expr
thing should indeed be in the bootstrap. Furtheron I fixed the ebuild
not to use g-prefixed neither usr/libexec/gnu-pathed binaries in a
prefixed evironment (why else am I in that prefix?) Commit follows
shortly (I hope).

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level