bootstrap-prefix script attempts to build Apple's gcc, which fails,
but gnu gcc builds fine for me
[3:02pm] fafhrd: so I'd like to get some consensus about what kind of
USERLAND we're aiming for, as I keep hacking on this stuff
[3:02pm] fafhrd: personally, I'd like to move towards building it's
own internal GNU style USERLAND
[3:02pm] fafhrd: as I have no urge to follow Apple willy nilly
[3:02pm] fafhrd: thoughts?
Re: USERLAND thoughts for gentoo on osx [ In reply to ]
On 24-08-2006 15:06:42 -0400, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
> fafhrd: anyone out there see my message on this channel yesterday?
> [3:00pm] fafhrd: I'm curious about what others feel the "right"
> userland for gentoo/portage on osx is
> [3:00pm] fafhrd: meaning, sure, we need to deal with
> USERLAND="BSD" (or "Darwin" as it were) when we bootstrap
> [3:01pm] fafhrd: but, after that, can't the equivalent of `emerge
> sysem -e` be run to basically free the libraries from linking against
> the base system?
> [3:01pm] fafhrd: anyways, this all started because the current
> bootstrap-prefix script attempts to build Apple's gcc, which fails,
> but gnu gcc builds fine for me
> [3:02pm] fafhrd: so I'd like to get some consensus about what kind of
> USERLAND we're aiming for, as I keep hacking on this stuff
> [3:02pm] fafhrd: personally, I'd like to move towards building it's
> own internal GNU style USERLAND
> [3:02pm] fafhrd: as I have no urge to follow Apple willy nilly
> [3:02pm] fafhrd: thoughts?

I assume you are on a MacTel machine, as why GCC won't build. As for
the userland, yes we aim for a GNU userland, because I have the opinion
that the Gentoo mainline tree is written for that userland. Diego does
a great job making the tree able to cope with a BSD userland, but to
avoid all these little annoyances with find, awk, etc. in prefix it is
only a small effort to make it a GNU userland.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project