Mailing List Archive

Re: Prefix tree locaiton
Hi, all. I've just subscribed to the list, after chatting with
people on #gentoo-osx. I'm *fervently* excited about getting portage-
prefix on gentoo-osx to a stable level. IMHO, fink has had it's
glory days, and darwinports seems both stable, and incredibly
terrible at the same time.

I'm using gmane to respond to this, so please excuse breaking the
conversation formatting.

> So, not being too much familiar with the plethora of VCSes around
> and their capabilities, do you have an idea of how you can easily
> pull the svn tree and keep your own changes in there, submitting
> patches every now and then to include them on the main tree?

If you have a local svn trunk that looks like
trunk/Adir
trunk/Bdir
trunk/Cdir
then you can do something like the following:
cd trunk
svn propedit svn:externals A
(editor opens)
dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir svn://gentoo.org/svn/portage/
trunk
(save, close editor)
svn update
ls Adir
./Adir/dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir
... and the code in that external trunk will be in that named
directory inside Adir.

What this /doesn't/ let you do is commit back to the external (unless
you actually had authenticated access). But, gratuitous use of svn
diff could be used to submit patches.

Conceivably, this method could also be used to host a prefix-enabled
portage ebuild tree, that we /could/ submit back to, and then
"official" devs could update the diffs themselves.

__armando
Re: Re: Prefix tree locaiton [ In reply to ]
On 17-08-2006 13:25:14 -0400, Armando Di Cianno wrote:

Armando!!!!!!!!!!

(you don't know me, but I DO feel aquintanced with you, hahahaha ...
GNUstep)

> Hi, all. I've just subscribed to the list, after chatting with
> people on #gentoo-osx. I'm *fervently* excited about getting portage-
> prefix on gentoo-osx to a stable level. IMHO, fink has had it's
> glory days, and darwinports seems both stable, and incredibly
> terrible at the same time.

Aham...

> > So, not being too much familiar with the plethora of VCSes around
> > and their capabilities, do you have an idea of how you can easily
> > pull the svn tree and keep your own changes in there, submitting
> > patches every now and then to include them on the main tree?
>
> If you have a local svn trunk that looks like
> trunk/Adir
> trunk/Bdir
> trunk/Cdir
> then you can do something like the following:
> cd trunk
> svn propedit svn:externals A
> (editor opens)
> dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir svn://gentoo.org/svn/portage/
> trunk
> (save, close editor)
> svn update
> ls Adir
> ./Adir/dir-name-that-will-be-created-in-Adir
> ... and the code in that external trunk will be in that named
> directory inside Adir.

Heu... ehm. Ok, I guess this shows it can easily be done with svn, so
that's great!

> What this /doesn't/ let you do is commit back to the external (unless
> you actually had authenticated access). But, gratuitous use of svn
> diff could be used to submit patches.

Of course. In CVS I can imagine that CVS just merges all updates all
the time. With git I know you can have your own local commits, so my
idea was basically like this. Not ideal for non-gentoo devs, but I
think that's the easiest way for now to get the work contributed and in
the main tree.

> Conceivably, this method could also be used to host a prefix-enabled
> portage ebuild tree, that we /could/ submit back to, and then
> "official" devs could update the diffs themselves.

In the spirit of the much criticised Sunrise, I wouldn't really "care"
if someone set up a central repo where non-devs commit their stuff in,
and that I periodically pull over all changes. I have the bandwith
available to host it myself (would make it even easier to do the sync I
suppose) but not the machine at the moment. (Need to do a lot of
painting etc. anyway too, so I can't set it up soon.)

I'd be very very very happy if we could get some movement here, so if
you folks can start, please do! I will help wherever that is possible.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
RE: Re: Prefix tree locaiton [ In reply to ]
>I'd be very very very happy if we could get some movement here, so if
>you folks can start, please do! I will help wherever that is possible.

I think we can do start something, I'll report back when I have something
more concrete.

Re: Re: Prefix tree locaiton [ In reply to ]
On Aug 17, 2006, at 3:18 PM, Grobian wrote:

> On 17-08-2006 13:25:14 -0400, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
>
> Armando!!!!!!!!!!
>
> (you don't know me, but I DO feel aquintanced with you, hahahaha ...
> GNUstep)

... oh, did you take over the GNUstep ebuilds? If so, good. It's
not something I wanted to drop, but I found I was fixing more GNUstep
bugs, than writing ebuilds, and then life got in the way ...

>> Conceivably, this method could also be used to host a prefix-enabled
>> portage ebuild tree, that we /could/ submit back to, and then
>> "official" devs could update the diffs themselves.
>
> In the spirit of the much criticised Sunrise, I wouldn't really "care"
> if someone set up a central repo where non-devs commit their stuff in,
> and that I periodically pull over all changes. I have the bandwith
> available to host it myself (would make it even easier to do the
> sync I
> suppose) but not the machine at the moment. (Need to do a lot of
> painting etc. anyway too, so I can't set it up soon.)
>
> I'd be very very very happy if we could get some movement here, so if
> you folks can start, please do! I will help wherever that is
> possible.

It would be helpful to have read access to, or at least daily
snapshots of, all pertinent resources. Firstly, the prefix-enabled
portage. Secondly, I'm not sure if a prefix-enabled ebuild tree was
started or not, but if it's needed I can help set one up on one of my
servers, or *shudder* on my dreamhost account, otherwise, access to
the current one would be great.

Can this be arranged fairly quickly?

__armando

Re: Re: Prefix tree locaiton [ In reply to ]
On 18-08-2006 11:43:24 -0400, Armando Di Cianno wrote:
> ... oh, did you take over the GNUstep ebuilds? If so, good. It's
> not something I wanted to drop, but I found I was fixing more GNUstep
> bugs, than writing ebuilds, and then life got in the way ...

Ahem... It's offtopic, but it's a pain.

> >I'd be very very very happy if we could get some movement here, so if
> >you folks can start, please do! I will help wherever that is
> >possible.
>
> It would be helpful to have read access to, or at least daily
> snapshots of, all pertinent resources. Firstly, the prefix-enabled
> portage. Secondly, I'm not sure if a prefix-enabled ebuild tree was
> started or not, but if it's needed I can help set one up on one of my
> servers, or *shudder* on my dreamhost account, otherwise, access to
> the current one would be great.

We have daily snapshots here:
http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/snapshots/portage-alt-prefix-latest.tar.bz2
I believed anon access was set up, but might as well not be (another
reason for me to make a sync repo that does allow it).
The prefixed portage sources might be a little out of date, and I plan
to make a new snapshot available soon (am currently in the process of
building on my Dual Athlon64/Fedora Core, the bootstrap script at least
seems to work like a charm)

> Can this be arranged fairly quickly?

Does above help? I plan to poll gentoo's infra people pretty soon to at
least ask if they mind replicating the whole life portage tree in SVN so
we can do diffing on branches. (If not, I will _have_ to do it myself.)

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Re: Prefix tree locaiton [ In reply to ]
On Aug 18, 2006, at 11:56 AM, Grobian wrote:
> We have daily snapshots here:
> http://gentoo.osuosl.org/experimental/snapshots/portage-alt-prefix-
> latest.tar.bz2
>
>> Can this be arranged fairly quickly?
>
> Does above help? I plan to poll gentoo's infra people pretty soon
> to at
> least ask if they mind replicating the whole life portage tree in
> SVN so
> we can do diffing on branches. (If not, I will _have_ to do it
> myself.)

Yes, it does. I didn't realize there was already a daily snapshot
happening (I had only seen kito's older snapshots). This is
definitely the starting point I needed, thanks.

Please keep us in-the-know on the SVN stuff.

__armando

Re: Re: Prefix tree locaiton [ In reply to ]
Some update on this stuff;

Last weekend I loaded the svn sources of the prefix tree, and a CVS
snapshot of the mainline tree in a git repo. I haven't had the time yet
to experiment with "syncing" them, which I need for binutils, as they
one in prefix is so old that the distfiles aren't there any more...

Re: Re: Prefix tree locaiton [ In reply to ]
I'll ask a dumb question, what's a git repo?

Re: Re: Prefix tree locaiton [ In reply to ]
On 25-08-2006 13:50:24 -0700, Christopher Chan wrote:
> I'll ask a dumb question, what's a git repo?

GIT is yet another version control system. However, git belongs to the
ones that are designed for distributed collabrative work, or something.
It allows local commits on local branches, while being able to "pull" in
the changes on the once "imported" branches and "roll-forward" those
changes to your local branches. It is also possible to push your
changes to the external repositories, which I want to use for updating
the SVN tree. In a git local branch I can easily diff with the CVS
mainline tree (without it changing under my feet) and merge over the
changes to the SVN tree, via the local GIT branch. At least, that's the
idea :)

Re: Re: Prefix tree locaiton [ In reply to ]
Ok, some update on the GIT stuff. Linus needs to work a bit on GIT, I
think. It is so slow that for our tree it easily takes three days to
commit or update something. So no go. End of success story. So I went
doing it manually again.

I updated the prefixed portage snapshot to the lastest svn version,
which includes at least two fixes for unpriviledged users. I included
an ebuild in the prefixed tree, for those who want to know where the
source is:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~grobian/prefix-portage-2.1.13.4415.tar.bz2
(I couldn't come up with something more creative...)

I updated some stuff in the tree, and I hope to have a running x86 linux
system again (with Vim 7!) at the end of the week... but no promises!