whoever we want to have contributing there.

The only drawback of such move would be that we decouple from Gentoo,
which might be politically not such a good move. However, I think I
don't care. I would be happy if finally people could work on it. Any
input on this?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Prefix tree location [ In reply to ]
Grobian-

We have a bunch of prefixed ebuilds that we would like to contribute.
I'm not sure why the opposition to "experimental", but if it needs to
be hosted externally, then I'm in favor of that. ..

BTW, where is Kito? (Long time no hear...)

-matt

Re: Prefix tree location [ In reply to ]
Grobian wrote:
[snip]
> I have a preference for letting our tree being hosted by SourceForge
> using SVN. We can make a SVN snapshot and put it there, then add
> whoever we want to have contributing there.

My vote also goes with sourceforge as this is not dependent on an
individual's ability to host.

> The only drawback of such move would be that we decouple from Gentoo,
> which might be politically not such a good move.
[snip]

Politics be damned.
Re: Prefix tree location [ In reply to ]
On 24-06-2006 20:12:38 -0700, Nick Dimiduk wrote:
> Grobian wrote:
> [snip]
> >I have a preference for letting our tree being hosted by SourceForge
> >using SVN. We can make a SVN snapshot and put it there, then add
> >whoever we want to have contributing there.
>
> My vote also goes with sourceforge as this is not dependent on an
> individual's ability to host.

Emanuele, Kito, Diego? Any problems with putting our current tree on
SF?

> >The only drawback of such move would be that we decouple from Gentoo,
> >which might be politically not such a good move.
> [snip]
>
> Politics be damned.

Then read it as "strategically", and reconsider your answer.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Prefix tree location [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 25 June 2006 09:44, Grobian wrote:
> Emanuele, Kito, Diego?  Any problems with putting our current tree on
> SF?
Yes, I asked already that we remain on Gentoo Infra to avoid yet another flame
war. So please don't, or you're going to be without cover next time someone
will try to shot you down (as in, I can't try to cover you up if you're no
more under my TLP).

Rather, I was going to ask Stuart for an overlays.gentoo.org overlay for the
basic Gentoo/Alt overlay; I suppose the same can happen for the prefix work,
too.

--
Diego "Flameeyes" Pettenò - http://farragut.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org/
Gentoo/Alt lead, Gentoo/FreeBSD, Video, AMD64, Sound, PAM, KDE
Re: Prefix tree location [ In reply to ]
On 25-06-2006 12:16:22 +0200, Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
> On Sunday 25 June 2006 09:44, Grobian wrote:
> > Emanuele, Kito, Diego?  Any problems with putting our current tree on
> > SF?
> Yes, I asked already that we remain on Gentoo Infra to avoid yet
> another flame war. So please don't, or you're going to be without
> cover next time someone will try to shot you down (as in, I can't try
> to cover you up if you're no more under my TLP).

Diego, thanks. I'd prefer to stay on Gentoo hardware as well.

> Rather, I was going to ask Stuart for an overlays.gentoo.org overlay
> for the basic Gentoo/Alt overlay; I suppose the same can happen for
> the prefix work, too.

OK.

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project
Re: Prefix tree location [ In reply to ]
Grobian wrote:
> On 24-06-2006 20:12:38 -0700, Nick Dimiduk wrote:
[snip]
>> Politics be damned.
>
> Then read it as "strategically", and reconsider your answer.

In that case, I'd say stick with gentoo hardware if at all possible.
However, if this means we are unable to accept community support in a
reasonable way, we need to seriously reconsider the SF option.
Re: Prefix tree location [ In reply to ]
Have there been any updates on having a prefix overlay tree available to the
community?
Re: Prefix tree location [ In reply to ]
Unfortunately not. I'm completely stuck in this sense. I am more and
more leaning towards having the "official" overlay on Gentoo hardware
(maybe on overlays.g.o) and keeping a shadow overlay which you guys can
develop on (git maybe, with subversion import?) and periodically submit
"patches" which I'll be happy to include in the main tree.

So, not being too much familiar with the plethora of VCSes around and
their capabilities, do you have an idea of how you can easily pull the
svn tree and keep your own changes in there, submitting patches every
now and then to include them on the main tree?

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo for Mac OS X Project