SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out
Hi all,
I got my little R5000 O2 to netboot the ip32-r5k-20040806.img kernel,
then get the message 7774342+160714 entry:oxfffffffff-a0711020, then
after a moment my screen completely freaks out, and I have to laterally
put the power cord. Any ideals what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks for your help I can't wait until my O2 is Otoo.

-Andy

Re: SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out [ In reply to ]
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Hi all,
> I got my little R5000 O2 to netboot the ip32-r5k-20040806.img kernel,
> then get the message 7774342+160714 entry:oxfffffffff-a0711020, then
> after a moment my screen completely freaks out, and I have to laterally
> put the power cord. Any ideals what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks for your help I can't wait until my O2 is Otoo.
>
> -Andy

I think that might be one of Kumba's old netboots that didn't quite work
right. If I'm not mistaken, he has come up with a new way of making
them with an embedded initrd that ActuallyWorks(tm). You might ask him
on our irc channel when he rises from the dead (usually later PM Eastern
time).

If you just want a kernel only, you can try
http://dev.gentoo.org/~geoman/vmlinux64-2004-11-06.bz2 for now. It
should work, with the exception of rtc failing.

Steve

Re: SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out [ In reply to ]
Thanks Steve,
Should this kernel you provided load on the R5000, if it does can I
continue with the gentoo install documentation provided on gentoo.org.
Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm new at this stuff.
-andy

Re: SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out [ In reply to ]
Hi Again,
Steve I tried your kernel, and it boots fine, but I get a kernel panic
when it tries looking for an NFS server. Do I need an NFS set up? The
online install docs suggest I should be dropped into the ash shell.
Thanks again for any help.
-Andy

Re: SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out [ In reply to ]
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Hi Again,
> Steve I tried your kernel, and it boots fine, but I get a kernel panic
> when it tries looking for an NFS server. Do I need an NFS set up? The
> online install docs suggest I should be dropped into the ash shell.
> Thanks again for any help.
> -Andy

I had the same problems. :) You have to set up a NFS server.

Good luck.

--
WoOh

Re: SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out [ In reply to ]
Thanks Papai,
If I set up the NFS server what should it's export file look like?

Re: SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out [ In reply to ]
Andrew Finley wrote:
> Thanks Papai,
> If I set up the NFS server what should it's export file look like?

The share just needs to be (rw,no_root_squash) so that the remote
machine has proper access.

Steve

Re: SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out [ In reply to ]
Hi

in my humble experience, it is possible to get an O2 to boot off a CD
instead of a NFS partition by setting a PROM variable (OSLoadOptions
or something like it) to point to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0. It saves the
hassle of having to set up a NFS server thing if you never have done
so before (like me).
Disclaimer: I am not a developer, nor anything else. It just happened
that that worked for me, so i thought i'd mention it.

Re: SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out [ In reply to ]
Oscar Almer wrote:
> Hi
>
> in my humble experience, it is possible to get an O2 to boot off a CD
> instead of a NFS partition by setting a PROM variable (OSLoadOptions
> or something like it) to point to /dev/cdroms/cdrom0. It saves the
> hassle of having to set up a NFS server thing if you never have done
> so before (like me).
> Disclaimer: I am not a developer, nor anything else. It just happened
> that that worked for me, so i thought i'd mention it.

We actually do have a livecd now. It should be in the experimental
folder on the gentoo mirrors. Make sure to read the documentation in
the directory with it, as it doesn't automagically work. You have to
set prom variables first.

Steve

Re: SGI O2 R5000 on initial boot screen freaks out [ In reply to ]
Thanks Guys,
I'll try those options.