Mailing List Archive

Gentoo live CD on HP D360
Folks,

I'm trying to install 2.6.16.1-pa4-livecd32 on an HP
D360 box with a serial console.

I first tried booting with all palo settings as
default. i.e.

Information: No console specified on kernel command
line. This is normal.
PALO will choose the console currently used by
firmware (serial).Current command
line:
0/vmlinux initrd=initrd TERM=linux root=/dev/ram0
init=/linuxrc cdroot looptype=
squashfs loop=/image.squashfs hda=scsi hdb=scsi
console=ttyB0
0: 0/vmlinux
1: initrd=initrd
2: TERM=linux
3: root=/dev/ram0
4: init=/linuxrc
5: cdroot
6: looptype=squashfs
7: loop=/image.squashfs
8: hda=scsi
9: hdb=scsi
10: console=ttyB0

<#> edit the numbered field
'b' boot with this command line
'r' restore command line
'l' list dir
? 0

It boots OK, but then the console seems to get messed
up. (It's OK until login stage). Sometimes characters
don't echo, line feeds are all over the place, and the
prompts are really irratic - it's like a getty is
sharing the same console as a shell. :o/

Example:

Please report any bugs you find to
http://bugs.gentoo.org. Be sure to include
detailed information about how to reproduce the bug
you are reporting.
Thank you for using Gentoo Linux!

livecd root #

livecd root # ls
livecd root # Login incorrect

livecd login:
livecd root #
Password: pwd
/root
livecd root #
Login incorrect

ls
livecd root #
livecd login:

I then tried booting with palo option 10 deleted. (No
console option in boot command). This time I got a
stable console prompt, but it now wants a login and I
don't have the password. I see on a PC platform the
user has to ctrl-alt-F1 to another console and use
passwd to set the root password, but I can't do that
in this case.

This is livecd.gentoo (Linux parisc
2.6.15.1-pa4-livecd32) 13:23:49

livecd login:

Re: Gentoo live CD on HP D360 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jul 11, 2006 at 02:46:48PM +0100, gwhiteside@btinternet.com wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm trying to install 2.6.16.1-pa4-livecd32 on an HP
> D360 box with a serial console.
>
> I first tried booting with all palo settings as
> default. i.e.
>
> Information: No console specified on kernel command
> line. This is normal.
> PALO will choose the console currently used by
> firmware (serial).Current command
> line:
> 0/vmlinux initrd=initrd TERM=linux root=/dev/ram0
> init=/linuxrc cdroot looptype=
> squashfs loop=/image.squashfs hda=scsi hdb=scsi
> console=ttyB0
> 0: 0/vmlinux
> 1: initrd=initrd
> 2: TERM=linux
> 3: root=/dev/ram0
> 4: init=/linuxrc
> 5: cdroot
> 6: looptype=squashfs
> 7: loop=/image.squashfs
> 8: hda=scsi
> 9: hdb=scsi
> 10: console=ttyB0
>
> <#> edit the numbered field
> 'b' boot with this command line
> 'r' restore command line
> 'l' list dir
> ? 0
>
> It boots OK, but then the console seems to get messed
> up. (It's OK until login stage). Sometimes characters
> don't echo, line feeds are all over the place, and the
> prompts are really irratic - it's like a getty is
> sharing the same console as a shell. :o/
>
> Example:
>
> Please report any bugs you find to
> http://bugs.gentoo.org. Be sure to include
> detailed information about how to reproduce the bug
> you are reporting.
> Thank you for using Gentoo Linux!
>
> livecd root #
>

> livecd root # ls
> livecd root # Login incorrect
>

> livecd login:
> livecd root #
> Password: pwd
> /root
> livecd root #
> Login incorrect
>
> ls
> livecd root #
> livecd login:

> I then tried booting with palo option 10 deleted. (No
> console option in boot command). This time I got a
> stable console prompt, but it now wants a login and I
> don't have the password. I see on a PC platform the
> user has to ctrl-alt-F1 to another console and use
> passwd to set the root password, but I can't do that
> in this case.

> This is livecd.gentoo (Linux parisc
> 2.6.15.1-pa4-livecd32) 13:23:49
>
> livecd login:

> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Graham.
> --

I had the same problem when I installed on my K200. What I ended up
doing was fighting with the console to get the root password changed and
sshd started. Once I had that (took on average over 20 minutes of
messing around), I just ssh'd in and did the install remotely. I never
could figure out why the login prompt keept appearing. I did notice a
pattern on when the login prompt appeared, and I just had to time my
passwd command to work between the login prompt cycles. You have to
trust the keyboard, and not the console ;-)
Re: Gentoo live CD on HP D360 [ In reply to ]
Brett,

Thanks for your help. I have tried to battle with it
but I have given up! >:o( (for now anyway) It seems
to lock up completely after a while.

I'm also not having any joy in getting eth0 working -
not helped by whacky console! The install doc
suggests modprobe tulip, but this doesn't get eth0 to
appear if I do an ifconfig.

Very frustrating! Still, better than Debian - it
hangs while booting from CD!

Perhaps I'll look into swapping the D360 for a
proliant and try X86 gentoo! Either that or raise a
bug report and wait... :0/

Regards,

Graham.

Re: Gentoo live CD on HP D360 [ In reply to ]
Am Dienstag, den 11.07.2006, 14:46 +0100 schrieb
gwhiteside@btinternet.com:
> Any ideas?

That getty/bash "fight" should be fixed on that test-cd:
http://www.scherbaum.info/~tobias/hppa/install-hppa-minimal-20060729.iso

Please test and report back, if it works now :)

wkr,
Tobias

Re: Gentoo live CD on HP D360 [ In reply to ]
Tobias,

Thanks. Will test when I get some spare time.

Regards,

Graham.

Re: Gentoo live CD on HP D360 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jul 29, 2006 at 11:05:06PM +0200, Tobias Scherbaum wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 11.07.2006, 14:46 +0100 schrieb
> gwhiteside@btinternet.com:
> > Any ideas?
>
> That getty/bash "fight" should be fixed on that test-cd:
> http://www.scherbaum.info/~tobias/hppa/install-hppa-minimal-20060729.iso
>
> Please test and report back, if it works now :)
>
> wkr,
> Tobias

That fixed it for me!! I can now boot my K200 without the conflict.
Thank you!!

Brett
Re: Gentoo live CD on HP D360 [ In reply to ]
Tobias,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Your fix
seems to be working OK on my D360.