Mailing List Archive

Problems running "genkernel all"
Hello

I am going through the procedure of installin Gentoo
Linux on my hppa box, which is a 785/B2000 Visualize
workstation.

I have gone through the instructions in order and am
now trying to run "genkernel all" since I haven't got
enough experience to decide about the options in
manual kernel configuration. Anyway, when I issue the
command "genkernel all" I get an error message
complaining about that a .config file is either not
specified or not found. It is obvious that I am
supposed to supply a .config file to genkernel. The
question is how I do that and/or what step in the
process I have omitted. Reviewing the guidelines I
have gone through doesn't tell me what step I missed.

BTW I am using a Universal CD to install from.

What I have done (referring to Gentoo handbook):
4. Preparing the disks (>16MB boot, 1500MB ext3 for
/var, 500MB for swap and remaining up to 9100MB ext3
as a fourth partition).
5. Installing the installation files
6. Installing the Gentoo Base system

The steps "Code Listing 7: Verifying system profile",
"Code Listing 8: Finding out if an additional profile
exists" and "Code Listing 9: Switching to a 2.4
profile" make me a bit unsuer, but my intention is to
stay with 2.6 which seems to be the default and
recommended.

I have also run "emerge genkernel" without complaints
from the system.

Can anybody put me on track again? I would appreciate
it alot.

Best regards and thanks in advance
Per Liss
Sweden
Re: Problems running "genkernel all" [ In reply to ]
Hello Per,

It looks like genkernel wants a valid kernel config that you'll have to
generate. I don't think that anybody uses genkernel on hppa. It's
almost not tested besides for livecd creation.

I really recommand that you compile your kernel yourself. Even if it
seems painfull, it's not that hard. If you have any issue, you can join
#gentoo-hppa on irc.freenode.net and there will certainly be ppl to help you out.

Honestly, I really don't feel like supporting genkernel for hppa. It
usually produce useless kernels or broken one for your model.

I whish you good luck !

Guy