could you please describe to a newbie what that mux-board is, what it looks
like, where i can find it and how i can remove it?
That would be great!

cu
Dieter

--
Frank Castle is dead!
Call me 'The PUNISHER'!
Re: Ramdisk error and the mux board [ In reply to ]
Dieter,

The mux board is a serial adapter board. The one I have has a connector similar to a paralel port but wider and with more pins.

Removing it shouldn't be too hard provided you got the right screwdriver :)

Guy

--
Guy Martin
Gentoo Linux - HPPA port Lead / IPv6 team
Re: Ramdisk error and the mux board [ In reply to ]
Great, thank you.

I think tomorrow evening there will be another HP 9000 running linux ...

cu
Dieter

Re: Ramdisk error and the mux board [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 09:06:43PM +0200, Dieter Ries wrote:
> could you please describe to a newbie what that mux-board is, what it looks
> like, where i can find it and how i can remove it?
> That would be great!

The mux board I removed was model J2092A. It has a giant 73 pin female
DB type connector in it, and other markings like an LED with Mux Status,
RS-232-C Direct Connect MUX.

As a side not, while I was configuring the kernel for my system, I
noticed the max number of mux ports was set to 16. I thought this may
have been the problem since the MPD has 8 ports (even though I can only
find 1), and the J2092A has an addition 16 ports, so I was looking at 24
ports total. When I configured my kernel, I set this value to 32, hoping
that would resolve the issue. I just tried putting the J2092A back in,
and I saw simiar problems. I am continuing to research this issue as I
would like to have the Mux card installed, and I don't have a filler
plate to cover the hole where the mux card should be. It is starting to
look like a nice piece of Duct Tape may be neede to full the hole though
:(

Brett
Re: Ramdisk error and the mux board [ In reply to ]
Hi,

removing the MUX board solved the ramdisk problem at my HP, too, but i have
another Kernel panic afterwards. The 32Bit Kernel as well as the 64Bit kernel
(which outputs some strange pages before but kept running into the
ramdisk-error, too) seems mainly to work, but after

freeing unused kernel memory: 320k freed

it shows a message like that:

Failed to execute /linuxrc'. Attempting defaults...
Setting up filesystem, please wait...

after minutes of waiting i pressed CR/LF , and there was

Kernel panic - not syncing: Kernel Fault.

This error occurred with the debian-etch iso, because i was not able to boot
from the gentoo-isos, i dont know why,

And there is another problem., after switching the machine off and on again
after kernel panic, the display of tha machine said something like

PS /*I dont know*/
cpus=3333 ps=4

I removed the third CPU and it worked again, could you tell me whats wrong
with my Powersupply?

cu
Dieter

--