--
Per Jessen, Zurich
Let your spam stop here -- http://www.spamchek.ch

Re: booting with serial console? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 09 January 2005 06:57 am, Per Jessen wrote:
> I'm using install-hppa-universal-2004.3-r1.iso and trying to boot an HP
> J280 that I've recently acquired. I'm using serial console on port A.
> After I do "BOOT P2" which boots the gentoo livecd from the SCSI CD, I get
> the palo prompt, choose the vmlinux32 image and go. (console=ttyS0 was
> already set).
> This ends up in the "...you may need to switch consoles... common symptom"
> message. The LCD display on the front show "Linux-2.6.8.1-pa".

try with console=ttyS1 ? or plug the cable into the other serial port ?
-mike

Re: booting with serial console? [ In reply to ]
Mike Frysinger wrote:

> try with console=ttyS1 ? or plug the cable into the other serial port ?
> -mike

Yeah, tried plugging in the other port instead, doesn't make a difference.
I'm just now downloading the 2004.2-r1 version to try that too - just in case.

--
Per Jessen, Zurich
Let your spam stop here -- http://www.spamchek.co.uk

Re: booting with serial console? [ In reply to ]
Per Jessen wrote:

> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>
>> try with console=ttyS1 ? or plug the cable into the other serial port ?
>> -mike
>
> Yeah, tried plugging in the other port instead, doesn't make a difference.
> I'm just now downloading the 2004.2-r1 version to try that too - just in case.

Yep, 2004.2 worked just fine. I'm only just getting my feet wet with gentoo,
but if I can help with diagnostics or something, let me know.

--
Per Jessen, Zurich
Let your spam stop here -- http://www.spamchek.dk

Re: booting with serial console? [ In reply to ]
Per Jessen wrote:

> Per Jessen wrote:
>
>> Mike Frysinger wrote:
>>
>>> try with console=ttyS1 ? or plug the cable into the other serial port ?
>>> -mike
>>
>> Yeah, tried plugging in the other port instead, doesn't make a difference.
>> I'm just now downloading the 2004.2-r1 version to try that too - just in
>> case.
>
> Yep, 2004.2 worked just fine. I'm only just getting my feet wet with gentoo,
> but if I can help with diagnostics or something, let me know.

Is something not quite as it should be with the 2004.3-r1 universal livecd?
According to the handbook:

"The Universal LiveCD is called install-hppa-universal-2004.3-r1.iso and
consumes the entire surface of a 650 MB CD."

well, it only consumes about half a CD, being just short of 300Mb. In fact it is
60M smaller than 2004.2.

--
Per Jessen, Zurich
Let your spam stop here -- http://www.spamchek.com