Hi, I am trying to 'emerge -v hppa/dev-sources' to start compiling a new
kernel and emerge isn't found even though it's in /usr/bin. Should I
start fresh, or can someone vpls help?

Re: kernel [ In reply to ]
try sourcing the environment e.g.

>> # source /etc/profile <<

See if that works for you. How far along are you into the install?

Re: kernel [ In reply to ]
On Monday, November 1, 2004 09:16 am, Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Hi, I am trying to 'emerge -v hppa/dev-sources' to start compiling a new
> kernel and emerge isn't found even though it's in /usr/bin. Should I
> start fresh, or can someone vpls help?

Is /usr is mounted?
Is /usr/bin is in $PATH ?

If any of these are false; correct them.

Jonathan Kollasch

p.s. Have you looked into Debian/hppa?

RE: kernel [ In reply to ]
Debian HPPA is MUCH easier to install, especially on older machines.
However, for a box that is going to have minimal packages (like a mail
server) I would highly recommend Gentoo as it makes hppa purr like nothing
else can.
You may also note that either free or open BSD is available for the platform
- which I have yet to try.

YMMV

Ryan MacLean
Sales Representative
Century Computer
5443 Rainnie Drive, Halifax
Nova Scotia, B3J 1P8
mailto:ryanm@centurycomputer.net
Phone: 423-2500
I entered the full path to the command. I will ensure they are in the
path also.

I have never heard of debian hppa. Is it as good as gentoo?

kernel [ In reply to ]

kernel [ In reply to ]
Hello,
I found a problem, vmlinux had not been generated when I made the
kernel. Now, I tried to start again and the build fails with errors.
This instillation is awful. Can anyone tell me of an easy way out or
should I call it a day and try a different dist for hppa? Nevertheless,
I have been impressed with what I have seen so far.

Re: kernel [ In reply to ]
Are your symlinks set correctly? Another option would be to use
genkernel I used it in the past with success.

On 09 Nov 2004 16:11:01 +0000, Dr Gavin Seddon

Re: kernel [ In reply to ]
Dr Gavin Seddon wrote:
> Hello,
> I found a problem, vmlinux had not been generated when I made the
> kernel. Now, I tried to start again and the build fails with errors.
> This instillation is awful. Can anyone tell me of an easy way out or
> should I call it a day and try a different dist for hppa? Nevertheless,
> I have been impressed with what I have seen so far.

With hp-pa, there are several things to keep in mind on rebuilding the kernel:

First of all, I regard it as work-in-progress. Hence check the development
websites for information about building kernels. (start at pagesx at
http://www.openpa.net/linux.html like http://parisc-linux.org/)

Standard kernels are not known to work perfect, Before building a kernel from
source, peek at the pa-linux documentation if the version is "known to build" or
"known to not build", specially with regard to the hardware at hand.

Then, after building and installing the kernel there is palo, the boot-loader.
That's not lilo and not grub hence it has its own way to find the fresh kernel.
Best to pick its documentation from http://parisc-linux.org/ too.

CBee