Mailing List Archive

Where can I download security hardened version of Gentoo?
Subject: Where can I download security hardened version of Gentoo?

Good day from Singapore,

Where can I download security hardened version of Gentoo?

Thank you.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
5 Aug 2022 Friday
Blogs:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com
https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com
Re: Where can I download security hardened version of Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2022-08-05 at 16:56 +0800, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
wrote:

> Good day from Singapore,
>
> Where can I download security hardened version of Gentoo?

There is no specific hardened version to download. When installing
Gentoo, you normally download and extract a generic system image called
a "stage3", tweak some configuration files, install some packages, and
then (ideally) re-compile everything that was in the stage3.

There are hardened versions of the stage3 archives -- just look for the
word "hardened" in the filename -- but for the most part, hardening
these days consists of setting USE=hardened in your make.conf, and in
building a kernel with additional hardening features. When you
recompile your system after setting USE=hardened during the
installation, you'll wind up with a "hardened Gentoo" system, insofar
as such a thing exists these days.