Mailing List Archive

[gentoo-gmn] Gentoo Monthly Newsletter: 18 February 2008
Gentoo Monthly Newsletter
http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/
This is the second issue of the Gentoo Monthly Newsletter, for January 2008 -
February 2008.

===============
1. Introduction
===============

This month in the GMN
---------------------

Welcome to the second issue of the Gentoo Monthly Newsletter. To begin with,
we would like to thank the entire community for the overwhelming response to
the GMN's inaugural issue. We received a lot of encouraging feedback and hope
that you will continue to write in. Remember, the GMN is what its readers
want it to be - please see the section on how you can get involved - at the
end of the newsletter for more information.

This month's issue implements some of the interesting suggestions we received
from our readers. The security statistics have been removed, since it seemed
to add a lot of clutter with little value-addition to the newsletter. You can
still monitor GLSAs in a variety of ways though - by using glsa-check (part
of gentoolkit[1]), by subscribing to the feed on the GLSA page[2] or the
gentoo-announcemailing list[3].

1. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-portage/gentoolkit
2. http://www.gentoo.org/security/en/glsa/
3. http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml

Graphical bugzilla and package statistics is another feature we implemented,
don't forget to see the cool graphs and charts! In tune with the feature on
our front page announcements, you can now discuss particular issues of the
Gentoo Monthly Newsletter in the forum. Discuss this newsletter[4]!

4. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4871969.html

We hope you enjoy reading this edition of the GMN.

==============
2. Gentoo News
==============

Gentoo Trustee Elections
------------------------

The Gentoo Trustee elections are currently in progress. After nearly a month
of nominations, we are left with 8 candidates for the posts. The polls will
be open until February 28. Everybody who has ever voted in a trustee election
or has been a Gentoo developer for the last 365 days (or more, from the date
of close of election poll) is eligible to vote. You can get more information
on the election and on each candidate's manifesto on the trustee election
page[5].

5. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/elections/foundation-200802.xml

Kernel security exploits: Upgrade ASAP
--------------------------------------

Two major security flaws in the Linux kernel were reported last weekend. Both
flaws have the same impact (root access for local users) and both exist
within the vmsplice() system call, which was added to the kernel in 2.6.17.
There is no configuration option to exclude vmsplice() so everyone is
vulnerable.

One of the security issues existed for the entire lifetime of vmsplice(), so
any kernel version from 2.6.17 onwards is vulnerable. This was fixed in
2.6.24.2, 2.6.23.16 and 2.6.22.18. It has been assigned the vulnerability
identifier of CVE-2008-0600[6].

6. http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-0600

The other security issue first appeared in 2.6.23. It was fixed in 2.6.23.15
and 2.6.24.1. This vulnerability has been assigned CVE-2008-0009[7] and
CVE-2008-0010[8].

7. http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-0009
8. http://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=CVE-2008-0010

gentoo-sources-2.6.23-r8 and gentoo-sources-2.6.24-r2 were added to the tree
Monday and include fixes for both issues. Install the latest
gentoo-sources[9] as quickly as possible.

9. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources

The full announcement can be found here[10].

10. http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080213-vmsplice.xml

KDE 4.0.1 in the tree
---------------------

Gentoo's KDE herd is happy to inform you that they've just committed KDE
4.0.1 to the Portage tree.

KDE 4.0.1 is the first maintenance release and fixes many issues of the
initial release. Among those changes are stability bugfixes and performance
improvements for Konqueror[11] and its Flash integration as well as its
JavaScript support. KWin[12] has seen improvements with respect to
compositing and error handling. Almost all other KDE modules have been worked
on extensively as well.

11. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/kde-base/konqueror
12. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/kde-base/kwin

The full announcement can be found here[13].

13. http://www.gentoo.org/news/20080210-kde-4.0.1.xml

Council Meeting Summary
-----------------------

The Gentoo Council[14] held its monthly meeting on 14 February, 2008. The
items put up for discussion were:

14. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/

* GLEP 46[15] (Allow upstream tags in metadata.xml): This GLEP was
approved, however the proposer is required to explain why the protocols
that may be used were restricted to HTTP and HTTPS only - before the GLEP
is finalized.
* EAPI=1 (Where is the specification?): The general agreement was that
any new EAPIs should not be added until EAPI=0 is fully approved.
However, there wasn't any consensus on changing anything about EAPI=1.
Mark Loeser[16] agreed to work on PMS for EAPI=0, and will provide an
update at the next meeting.

15. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0046.html
16. halcy0n@gentoo.org

Some items were rolled over from the previous meeting. GLEPs 54[17] and
55[18] were not resubmitted to the council for discussion.

17. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0054.html
18. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/glep/glep-0055.html

* Code of Conduct Enforcement: Donnie Berkholz[19] posted a simple
suggestion on the council mailing list. The council supported the
implementation and Donnie will get things going.
* Document of being an active developer: No updates.
* Slacker archs: No updates.

19. dberkholz@gentoo.org

Coming Up
---------

* FOSDEM[20]: February 23-24. One of the best community events of
Europe. Although there isn't going to be an official Gentoo presence at
the event, you can look forward to meeting several Gentoo developers and
users at the event.
* Bugday[21]: Looking for a way to help out Gentoo without investing a
lot of time? Join us on March 01 for our monthly bugday, and help us
squash some bugs[22].
* Chemnitzer Linux-Tage[23]: March 01-02. Several European Gentoo
developers and users are planning[23] to attend, so if you're going to be
around Chemnitz at the time, do drop in!
* Council Meeting[14]: The Gentoo Council meets every month to discuss
important technical issues that affect Gentoo as a whole. This month's
meeting is scheduled to be held on March 13, and everyone is welcome to
participate - #gentoo-council on irc.freenode.net at 2000UTC.
* PyCon[24]: March 13-17. There's a Birds Of a Feather (BoF) session
planned for everyone interested in Gentoo at the conference. If you're
interested, don't forget to drop a note in the forums[25].

14. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/
20. http://www.fosdem.org/2008/
21. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/bugday/index.xml
22. http://bugday.gentoo.org/
23. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pr/events/clt2008-germany/
24. http://us.pycon.org/2008/about/
25. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-659597.html

=========================
3. Heard in the Community
=========================

The Emacs Team
--------------

Introduction:

Some people wonder how maintaining a bunch of packages works in Gentoo and
how they can help as users. Every team has its own style of work-flow but
some common schemes are present in every team. This month, we take a look at
how the Emacs[26] team functions.

26. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/emacs/

Who we are and what we do:

The Emacs team consists of two developers, Ulrich Müller[27] and Christian
Faulhammer[28], who take care of all packages in the app-emacs category[29]
besides the GNU Emacs editor and several micro Emacsen. Additionally, we
often take care of Emacs support (mostly enabled by USE=emacs) for packages
maintained by other teams.

27. ulm@gentoo.org
28. opfer@gentoo.org
29. http://packages.gentoo.org/category/app-emacs

How we work:

There are two ways of working: Act or react. Reaction happens on user
requests that come in by bug reports (the preferred way), IRC or by e-mail.
Acting happens in mail exchange or discussion on IRC of the team members. We
discuss problems we have had or ones that might occur and try to find optimum
solutions to them. Optimal in this case means leaving as few people as
possible with problems. This often means a trade-off between features and
backwards compatibility.

Bug reports are handled by any of the members. Whoever reacts first is
responsible for the bug, unless someone else has a superior solution. New
packages that are experimental are first tried out in the Emacs overlay[30],
which is connected to a Wiki system where we store temporary information and
progress reports. For example, we collect information about packages that
have broken or bad Emacs support in the Wiki. Whenever one of us finds time,
the problem is fixed and the entry deleted from the Wiki. Alternatively, if
the problem could not be fixed, additional information is added to the entry
so the next person can start off where this one left. The Wiki also stores
information like which packages need a newer version/revision in the tree
(including a target date) and test plans for many packages.

30. http://overlays.gentoo.org/proj/emacs/

Stabilization is handled through the bug tracker[31]. A maintainer files a
new bug which says "stable app-emacs/xyz-1.0" in the summary and has all
relevant architecture teams (such as x86, amd or sparc) in the CC field. The
architecture team then tests the package (with the help of the collected test
plans) and marks it stable.

31. http://bugs.gentoo.org/

How users can help:

The easiest way to help is to file a bug report if you spot a problem. Even
minor ones are important for overall quality, such as if there is a new
version of a program/package that could not to be found in Portage. Please
give maintainers at-least a few days time after release though! If you are
not sure about a problem, try to investigate a bit. Don't be afraid of your
request being called "dumb", we actually prefer bugs that can be closed as
INVALID (or something similar) as compared to real issues that may not be
reported at all. Be sure to check for duplicate bugs beforehand!

Users are welcome to join our IRC channel #gentoo-lisp on Freenode[32] where
you can get support for all flavours of Lisp (including Emacs Lisp). IRC is a
great way to directly contact developers. Email[33] is a good communication
channel too, but not perfect, as emails may get lost. Emails are also
forgotten more easily than bug reports.

32. http://freenode.net/
33. emacs@gentoo.org

Working on the overlay is another way to contribute, but we won't give away
commit access too easily as a simple change is potential for a lot of harm.
Trusted users do gain commit access after proving themselves. Some hints on
how GNU Emacs on Gentoo works can be found in the maintainers guide[34].

34. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/lisp/emacs/emacs.xml

Gentoo tops BIND benchmarks
---------------------------

The Internet Systems Consortium[35] conducted a benchmark to test various
operating systems for their suitability to run BIND 9[36]. Amongst all the
operating systems tested, Gentoo Linux running on kernel version 2.6.20.7
topped the charts, processing 93,000 queries per second! Fedora Core came
second with 87,000 queries/second, followed by FreeBSD-7 (84,000
queries/second).

35. http://www.isc.org/
36. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-dns/bind

For more information, check out ISC's page on the benchmark[37].

37. http://new.isc.org/proj/dnsperf/OStest.html

Planet Gentoo
-------------

How to contact developers

Sometimes people are confused how they can get in touch with a developer,
Luca Barbato[38] gives us some hints[39] on how you can meet the person you
need.

38. lu_zero@gentoo.org
39. http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/lu_zero/2008/01/21/how_to_contact_developers

Voicing a user

Joshua Jackson[40] gives user Matthew Summers the opportunity[41] to raise
some points about Daniel Robbins' offer.

40. tsunam@gentoo.org
41. http://tsunam.org/2008/01/21/guest-post-matthew-summers/

Gentoo people at Chemnitzer Linux-Tage

Tobias Scherbaum[42] announces the presence[43] of Gentoo developers and
users during the Chemnitzer Linux-Tage in Germany. The developer meeting will
be on 1st March 2008, but everyone is invited to say hello.

42. dertobi123@gentoo.org
43. http://blog.scherbaum.info/2008/01/22/developer-meeting-at-the-chemnitzer-linux-tage-on-march-1st/

Status of GCC 4.3

In a short note[44], Ryan Hill[45] informs us of the status of GCC 4.3 in
Gentoo.

44. http://psykil.livejournal.com/321090.html
45. dirtyepic@gentoo.org

Summer of Code ideas

Even if it is only spring, Diego Pettenò[46] and Hans de Graaff[47] think
about what could be feasible[48]ideas[49] for this year's Google Summer of
Code.

46. flameeyes@gentoo.org
47. graaff@gentoo.org
48. http://blog.flameeyes.eu/articles/2008/02/02/ideas-for-google-summer-of-code
49. http://moving-innovations.com/blog/articles/2008/02/02/speaking-of-eselect

Xen applied

Michael Marineau[50] describes how Xen and Gentoo are used[51] in the Open
Source Labs[52].

50. marineam@gentoo.org
51. http://mike.marineau.org/blog/gentoo/2008-02-02-gentoo-osl-and-xen
52. http://www.osuosl.org/

MIPS back to experimental

Upon other release related things, Stuart Longland[53] announces that MIPS is
now an experimental[54] architecture again, meaning that there will be no
more stable KEYWORDS, just ~mips. This is due to lack of manpower.

53. redhatter@gentoo.org
54. http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/blog/2008/02/03/gentoomips-notes-for-upcomming-release-20080/

Internal libraries and how to fix it

Diego Pettenò[46]'s current crusade is to kill internal copies of libraries.
He describes[55] why they are harmful, along with an extended example[56] on
how to fix the problem.

46. flameeyes@gentoo.org
55. http://blog.flameeyes.eu/articles/2008/01/21/and-what-about-imported-libraries
56. http://blog.flameeyes.eu/articles/2008/02/04/a-case-study-enchants-internal-hunspell-copy

How to improve Gentoo's PR

If you've noticed our front page lately, you'll see that Donnie Berkholz[19]
has been doing a good job of regularly updating it. He now gives us the
details[57] of recent changes in the PR group[58].

19. dberkholz@gentoo.org
57. http://spyderous.livejournal.com/95223.html
58. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/pr/

User relations

A meeting of our user-relations[59] group has been summarized[60] by Joshua
Jackson[40]

40. tsunam@gentoo.org
59. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/
60. http://tsunam.org/2008/02/13/user-relations-minutes/

Gentoo on Loongson

The Chinese made Loongson[61] processor is MIPS based, and Stuart
Longland[53]announces[62] the availability of some more experimental MIPS
stages of Gentoo for this platform.

53. redhatter@gentoo.org
61. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loongson
62. http://stuartl.longlandclan.yi.org/blog/2008/02/14/gentoomips-loongson-liveusb/

==================
4. Tips and Tricks
==================

Screenie
--------

Want to organize your command line screen session or sessions better? Want to
have a separate screen session for every task that you do? Want something
that will organize you in general? This GMN has the perfect tip for you. It
is a tiny script called screenie.

| Code Listing 4.1 |
| Getting Screenie |
| $ emerge screenie |

Start by running it.

| Code Listing 4.2 |
| Launching screenie |
| $ screenie |

You should see the following:

| Code Listing 4.3 |
| Adding a job |
| |
| SCREENIE - terminal screen-session handler |
| written by Marc O. Gloor <mgloor&fhzh.ch> |
| |
| a) add job |
| q) quit |
| |
| select: |

Lets add a job called "Systems". Once you hit a, enter the name. Hit enter
unless you know the process id of existing screen sessions.

Lets add a second job called "Email". Now you should see:

| Code Listing 4.4 |
| Listing jobs |
| |
| SCREENIE - terminal screen-session handler |
| written by Marc O. Gloor <mgloor&fhzh.ch> |
| |
| 1) 15468.Systems |
| 2) 15504.Email |
| |
| a) add job |
| q) quit |
| |
| select: |

You now have two screen sessions that you can go into and out of. Select one
of the sessions. You are now inside of screen where you can do whatever you
usually do.

Note: See the tips and tricks[63] describing screen.

63. http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gwn/20030714-newsletter.xml#doc_chap9

To go to another screen session, press CTRL+a+d (or however you usually exit
your screen sessions). You should be back to the screenie menu and ready to
choose to go to another screen session.

One use of screenie might be to have a screen session for every task and for
every machine you have access to making multi-tasking much more organized.
This should also make it much easier to start working again after a long
break.

=========================
5. Gentoo developer moves
=========================

Summary
-------

Gentoo is made up of 277 active developers, of which 47 are currently away.
Gentoo has recruited a total of 630 developers since its inception.

Moves
-----

The following developers recently left the Gentoo project:

* none this month

Adds
----

The following developers recently joined the Gentoo project:

* Ben de Groot (yngwin): Multimedia

Changes
-------

The following developers recently changed roles within the Gentoo project:

* Mark Loeser (halcy0n) joined the cpp herd
* Michael Januszewski (spock) joined the sci and sci-physics herd
* Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto (jmbsvicetto) joined the kde herd
* Ryan Hill (dirtyepic) joined the mips team

==========
6. Portage
==========

Summary
-------

This section summarizes the current state of the portage tree.

General Statistics
Architectures 15
Categories 151
Packages 12381
ebuilds 24076

Keyword Distribution
Architecture Stable Testing Total% Packages
alpha 3482 558 4040 32.63%
amd64 6598 3935 10533 85.07%
arm 1588 67 1655 13.37%
hppa 2259 554 2813 22.72%
ia64 3118 626 3744 30.24%
m68k 487 9 496 4.01%
mips 1295 476 1771 14.30%
ppc 6154 2774 8928 72.11%
ppc64 3305 706 4011 32.40%
s390 1194 43 1237 9.99%
sh 1407 38 1445 11.67%
sparc 4680 1332 6012 48.56%
sparc-fbsd 0 304 304 2.46%
x86 9171 3041 12212 98.64%
x86-fbsd 0 2431 2431 19.63%

Figure 6.1: Package distribution by keyword
http://www.gentoo.org/images/gmn/20080218/keywords.png

The following section lists packages that have either been moved or added to
the tree and packages that have had their "last rites" announcement given to
be removed in the future. The package removals come from many locations,
including the Treecleaners[64] and various developers. Most packages which
are listed under the Last Rites section are in need of some love and care and
can remain in the tree if proper maintainership is established.

64. http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/treecleaners/

Removals:
---------

Package: Removal date: Contact:
dev-util/poseidonCE 25 Jan 2008 Alistair Bush[65]
www-servers/jetty 26 Jan 2008 William Thomson[66]
dev-java/jdbc2-oracle 26 Jan 2008 William Thomson[66]
dev-java/jdbc3-oracle 26 Jan 2008 William Thomson[66]
dev-java/quartz 26 Jan 2008 William Thomson[66]
www-servers/jboss 26 Jan 2008 William Thomson[66]
www-apache/mod_auth_external 27 Jan 2008 Benedikt Boehm[67]
dev-lisp/emacs-cl-cvs 30 Jan 2008 Ulrich Müller[27]
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ivtvdev 31 Jan 2008 Jeffrey Gardner[68]
net-misc/wanpipe 31 Jan 2008 Stefan Knoblich[69]
dev-java/aterm-java 03 Feb 2008 Petteri Räty[70]
sci-biology/generic-genome-browser 03 Feb 2008 Jeffrey Gardner[68]
sys-kernel/ck-sources 03 Feb 2008 Michael Marineau[50]
x11-themes/openbox-themes 03 Feb 2008 David Shakaryan[71]
dev-ml/rpc 03 Feb 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
dev-ml/netclient 03 Feb 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
dev-ml/equeue 03 Feb 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
media-tv/nuppelvideo 04 Feb 2008 Patrick Kursawe[73]
app-shells/csh 04 Feb 2008 Raúl Porcel[74]
x11-wm/kahakai 04 Feb 2008 David Shakaryan[71]
sci-mathematics/pariguide 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-mathematics/ksimus-boolean 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-mathematics/ksimus-datarecorder 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-mathematics/ksimus-floatingpoint 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-mathematics/kalamaris 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-mathematics/ksimus 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
x11-apps/mkcfm 06 Feb 2008 Donnie Berkholz[19]
kde-base/poxml 07 Feb 2008 Wulf Krueger[76]
media-video/usb-pwc-re 13 Feb 2008 Patrick Kursawe[73]
media-video/usb-pwcx 13 Feb 2008 Patrick Kursawe[73]
net-p2p/eztorrent 14 Feb 2008 Raúl Porcel[74]
media-sound/gini 15 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
media-libs/libmustux 15 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
net-libs/dclibc 15 Feb 2008 Raúl Porcel[74]
media-plugins/streamtuner-live365 15 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
media-plugins/streamtuner-local 15 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
media-plugins/streamtuner-python 15 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
media-plugins/streamtuner-xiph 15 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
x11-misc/fluxconf 15 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
media-libs/libdts 15 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
media-libs/hermes 15 Feb 2008 Tristan Heaven[78]
x11-themes/gaim-smileys 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/autoprofile 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/bangexec 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-assistant 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-encryption 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-extprefs 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-galago 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-hotkeys 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-latex 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-otr 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-rhythmbox 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-slashexec 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaim-xfire 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/gaimosd 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
x11-plugins/ignorance 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
app-accessibility/festival-gaim 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
net-im/gaim 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
net-im/gaim-blogger 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
net-im/gaim-bnet 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
net-im/gaim-meanwhile 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
net-im/gaim-snpp 16 Feb 2008 Olivier Crête[79]
dev-ruby/http-access2 17 Feb 2008 Diego Pettenò[46]

19. dberkholz@gentoo.org
27. ulm@gentoo.org
46. flameeyes@gentoo.org
50. marineam@gentoo.org
65. ali_bush@gentoo.org
66. wltjr@gentoo.org
67. hollow@gentoo.org
68. je_fro@gentoo.org
69. stkn@gentoo.org
70. betelgeuse@gentoo.org
71. omp@gentoo.org
72. aballier@gentoo.org
73. phosphan@gentoo.org
74. armin76@gentoo.org
75. bicatali@gentoo.org
76. philantrop@gentoo.org
77. drac@gentoo.org
78. nyhm@gentoo.org
79. tester@gentoo.org

Additions:
----------

Package: Addition date: Contact:
dev-lang/falcon[80] 21 Jan 2008 David Shakaryan[71]
media-gfx/rawstudio[81] 21 Jan 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
media-libs/gavl[82] 21 Jan 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
media-sound/jackbeat[83] 22 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
dev-ruby/archive-tar-minitar[84] 22 Jan 2008 Richard Brown[85]
dev-ruby/color[86] 22 Jan 2008 Richard Brown[85]
gnome-extra/gnome-device-manager[87] 23 Jan 2008 Saleem Abdulrasool[88]
app-emacs/distel[89] 23 Jan 2008 Christian Faulhammer[28]
app-emacs/icicles[90] 23 Jan 2008 Ulrich Müller[27]
x11-misc/fme[91] 23 Jan 2008 Jim Ramsay[92]
app-emacs/outline-magic[93] 23 Jan 2008 Christian Faulhammer[28]
app-emacs/wikipedia-mode[94] 23 Jan 2008 Christian Faulhammer[28]
app-emacs/template[95] 23 Jan 2008 Christian Faulhammer[28]
sys-apps/i2c-tools[96] 23 Jan 2008 Mike Frysinger[97]
media-gfx/gnome-raw-thumbnailer[98] 23 Jan 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
app-misc/sphinx[99] 24 Jan 2008 Caleb Tennis[100]
dev-ruby/tclink[101] 24 Jan 2008 Caleb Tennis[100]
app-admin/eselect-python[102] 24 Jan 2008 Ali Polatel[103]
dev-libs/liboobs[104] 24 Jan 2008 Gilles Dartiguelongue[105]
dev-java/cldc-api[106] 24 Jan 2008 Vlastimil Babka[107]
games-fps/worldofpadman[108] 25 Jan 2008 Tristan Heaven[78]
media-video/smplayer[109] 26 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
x11-themes/smplayer-themes[110] 26 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
dev-tex/pstplus[111] 26 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
dev-tex/crosstex[112] 26 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
media-sound/bristol[113] 27 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
media-sound/gigedit[114] 27 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
media-plugins/gmpc-avahi[115] 27 Jan 2008 Christoph Mende[116]
dev-dotnet/podsleuth[117] 27 Jan 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
dev-dotnet/mono-zeroconf[118] 27 Jan 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
media-plugins/vdr-wapd[119] 27 Jan 2008 Joerg Bornkessel[120]
dev-ml/ANSITerminal[121] 27 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
media-plugins/vdr-pcd[122] 27 Jan 2008 Joerg Bornkessel[120]
media-plugins/vdr-chanman[123] 27 Jan 2008 Joerg Bornkessel[120]
media-libs/stops[124] 27 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
media-sound/aeolus[125] 27 Jan 2008 Alexis Ballier[72]
dev-java/svgsalamander[126] 28 Jan 2008 Petteri Räty[70]
dev-java/flyingsaucer[127] 28 Jan 2008 Petteri Räty[70]
dev-lang/rubinius[128] 29 Jan 2008 Caleb Tennis[100]
dev-lisp/emacs-cl[129] 30 Jan 2008 Ulrich Müller[27]
app-crypt/nistp224[130] 30 Jan 2008 Thilo Bangert[131]
app-admin/srlog2[132] 30 Jan 2008 Thilo Bangert[131]
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ivtv[133] 31 Jan 2008 Jeffrey Gardner[68]
dev-cpp/ctemplate[134] 31 Jan 2008 Tiziano Müller[135]
dev-cpp/sparsehash[136] 31 Jan 2008 Tiziano Müller[135]
media-video/hasciicam[137] 01 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
net-irc/conspire[138] 01 Feb 2008 Tony Vroon[139]
sys-block/megacli[140] 01 Feb 2008 Wolfram Schlich[141]
sys-block/lsiutil[142] 01 Feb 2008 Wolfram Schlich[141]
media-plugins/vdr-filebrowser[143] 02 Feb 2008 Joerg Bornkessel[120]
net-misc/ng-utils[144] 03 Feb 2008 Stefaan De Roeck[145]
sys-block/cec[146] 03 Feb 2008 Caleb Tennis[100]
media-plugins/vdr-vodcatcher[147] 03 Feb 2008 Joerg Bornkessel[120]
games-util/etswitch[148] 04 Feb 2008 Samuli Suominen[77]
sci-libs/metis[149] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-libs/colamd[150] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-libs/camd[151] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-libs/ccolamd[152] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-libs/cxsparse[153] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
dev-util/lockrun[154] 05 Feb 2008 Caleb Tennis[100]
sci-libs/cholmod[155] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-libs/btf[156] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-libs/ldl[157] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-libs/klu[158] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-libs/csparse[159] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-libs/suitesparse[160] 05 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
app-text/libspectre[161] 06 Feb 2008 Bo Ørsted Andresen[162]
dev-perl/ShipIt[163] 06 Feb 2008 Robin H. Johnson[164]
sci-physics/harminv[165] 06 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
sci-physics/meep[166] 06 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
app-mobilephone/obex-data-server[167] 07 Feb 2008 Petteri Räty[70]
sys-block/dellmgr[168] 07 Feb 2008 Wolfram Schlich[141]
www-apache/mod_authn_pam[169] 07 Feb 2008 Benedikt Boehm[67]
www-apache/mod_flvx[170] 08 Feb 2008 Benedikt Boehm[67]
net-analyzer/openvas-libraries[171] 08 Feb 2008 Hanno Boeck[172]
net-analyzer/openvas-libnasl[173] 08 Feb 2008 Hanno Boeck[172]
net-analyzer/openvas-server[174] 08 Feb 2008 Hanno Boeck[172]
net-analyzer/openvas-client[175] 08 Feb 2008 Hanno Boeck[172]
net-analyzer/openvas-plugins[176] 08 Feb 2008 Hanno Boeck[172]
net-analyzer/openvas[177] 08 Feb 2008 Hanno Boeck[172]
dev-ruby/fastercsv[178] 08 Feb 2008 Joshua Nichols[179]
www-apache/mod_log_rotate[180] 08 Feb 2008 Benedikt Boehm[67]
sci-visualization/zhu3d[181] 08 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
app-misc/nullmodem[182] 10 Feb 2008 Thilo Bangert[131]
sys-block/megactl[183] 10 Feb 2008 Wolfram Schlich[141]
sys-fs/shake[184] 10 Feb 2008 Bernard Cafarelli[185]
app-emulation/systemsim-cell[186] 12 Feb 2008 Markus Rothe[187]
dev-python/dap[188] 13 Feb 2008 Sebastien Fabbro[75]
dev-python/pywebdav[189] 14 Feb 2008 Cédric Krier[190]
sys-cluster/openais[191] 14 Feb 2008 Wolfram Schlich[141]
app-editors/efte[192] 15 Feb 2008 David Shakaryan[71]
games-rpg/nwmovies[193] 17 Feb 2008 Denis Dupeyron[194]
net-print/adobeps[195] 17 Feb 2008 Stefan Briesenick[196]

27. ulm@gentoo.org
28. opfer@gentoo.org
67. hollow@gentoo.org
68. je_fro@gentoo.org
70. betelgeuse@gentoo.org
71. omp@gentoo.org
72. aballier@gentoo.org
75. bicatali@gentoo.org
77. drac@gentoo.org
78. nyhm@gentoo.org
80. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-lang/falcon
81. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-gfx/rawstudio
82. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-libs/gavl
83. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-sound/jackbeat
84. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-ruby/archive-tar-minitar
85. rbrown@gentoo.org
86. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-ruby/color
87. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/gnome-extra/gnome-device-manager
88. compnerd@gentoo.org
89. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-emacs/distel
90. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-emacs/icicles
91. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/x11-misc/fme
92. lack@gentoo.org
93. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-emacs/outline-magic
94. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-emacs/wikipedia-mode
95. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-emacs/template
96. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-apps/i2c-tools
97. vapier@gentoo.org
98. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-gfx/gnome-raw-thumbnailer
99. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-misc/sphinx
100. caleb@gentoo.org
101. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-ruby/tclink
102. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-admin/eselect-python
103. hawking@gentoo.org
104. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-libs/liboobs
105. eva@gentoo.org
106. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-java/cldc-api
107. caster@gentoo.org
108. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/games-fps/worldofpadman
109. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-video/smplayer
110. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/x11-themes/smplayer-themes
111. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-tex/pstplus
112. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-tex/crosstex
113. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-sound/bristol
114. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-sound/gigedit
115. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-plugins/gmpc-avahi
116. angelos@gentoo.org
117. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-dotnet/podsleuth
118. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-dotnet/mono-zeroconf
119. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-plugins/vdr-wapd
120. hd_brummy@gentoo.org
121. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-ml/ANSITerminal
122. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-plugins/vdr-pcd
123. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-plugins/vdr-chanman
124. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-libs/stops
125. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-sound/aeolus
126. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-java/svgsalamander
127. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-java/flyingsaucer
128. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-lang/rubinius
129. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-lisp/emacs-cl
130. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-crypt/nistp224
131. bangert@gentoo.org
132. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-admin/srlog2
133. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/x11-drivers/xf86-video-ivtv
134. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-cpp/ctemplate
135. dev-zero@gentoo.org
136. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-cpp/sparsehash
137. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-video/hasciicam
138. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-irc/conspire
139. chainsaw@gentoo.org
140. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-block/megacli
141. wschlich@gentoo.org
142. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-block/lsiutil
143. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-plugins/vdr-filebrowser
144. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-misc/ng-utils
145. stefaan@gentoo.org
146. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-block/cec
147. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/media-plugins/vdr-vodcatcher
148. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/games-util/etswitch
149. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/metis
150. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/colamd
151. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/camd
152. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/ccolamd
153. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/cxsparse
154. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-util/lockrun
155. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/cholmod
156. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/btf
157. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/ldl
158. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/klu
159. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/csparse
160. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-libs/suitesparse
161. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-text/libspectre
162. zlin@gentoo.org
163. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-perl/ShipIt
164. robbat2@gentoo.org
165. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-physics/harminv
166. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-physics/meep
167. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-mobilephone/obex-data-server
168. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-block/dellmgr
169. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/www-apache/mod_authn_pam
170. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/www-apache/mod_flvx
171. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-analyzer/openvas-libraries
172. hanno@gentoo.org
173. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-analyzer/openvas-libnasl
174. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-analyzer/openvas-server
175. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-analyzer/openvas-client
176. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-analyzer/openvas-plugins
177. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-analyzer/openvas
178. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-ruby/fastercsv
179. nichoj@gentoo.org
180. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/www-apache/mod_log_rotate
181. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sci-visualization/zhu3d
182. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-misc/nullmodem
183. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-block/megactl
184. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-fs/shake
185. voyageur@gentoo.org
186. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-emulation/systemsim-cell
187. corsair@gentoo.org
188. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-python/dap
189. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-python/pywebdav
190. cedk@gentoo.org
191. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-cluster/openais
192. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/app-editors/efte
193. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/games-rpg/nwmovies
194. calchan@gentoo.org
195. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-print/adobeps
196. sbriesen@gentoo.org

Last Rites
----------

Package: Removal date: Contact:
net-libs/dclibc[197] 15 Feb 2008 Raúl Porcel[74]
net-p2p/eztorrent[198] 16 Feb 2008 Raúl Porcel[74]
dev-java/jsx[199] 19 Feb 2008 Petteri Räty[70]
sys-apps/list[200] 19 Feb 2008 Stefan Schweizer[201]

70. betelgeuse@gentoo.org
74. armin76@gentoo.org
197. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-libs/dclibc
198. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-p2p/eztorrent
199. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/dev-java/jsx
200. http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-apps/list
201. genstef@gentoo.org

===========
7. Bugzilla
===========

Statistics
----------

The Gentoo community uses Bugzilla (bugs.gentoo.org[202]) to record and track
bugs, notifications, suggestions and other interactions with the development
team. The following chart summarizes activity on Bugzilla between 18 January
2008 and 17 February 2008. Not fixed means bugs that were resolved as
NEEDINFO, WONTFIX, CANTFIX, INVALID or UPSTREAM.

202. http://bugs.gentoo.org

Bug Activity Number
New 2746
Closed 1600
Not fixed 467
Marked Duplicate 374
Reopened 74

Figure 7.1: Bug activity split-up
http://www.gentoo.org/images/gmn/20080218/activity.png

Of the 10254 currently open bugs: 18 are labeled blocker, 101 are labeled
critical, and 343 are labeled major.

Closed bug ranking
------------------

The developers and teams who have closed the most bugs during this period are
as follows.

Rank Developer/Team Bug Count
1 Gentoo's Team for Core System Packages 73
2 Gentoo Games 65
3 Gentoo mips team 58
4 Gentoo KDE team 54
5 Gentoo for Mac OS X 47
6 Gentoo Security 42
7 Java team 42
8 Gentoo Gnome desktop team 42

Figure 7.1: Bug closed rankings
http://www.gentoo.org/images/gmn/20080218/closed.png

Assigned bug ranking
--------------------

The developers and teams who have been assigned the most bugs during this
period are as follows.

Rank Developer/Team Bug Count
1 Default Assignee for New Packages 91
2 Default Assignee for Orphaned Packages 38
3 AMD64 project 36
4 Gentoo's Team for Core System packages 32
5 Retirement Admin 21
6 Python Gentoo Team 20
7 Perl Devs @ Gentoo 17
8 Stefaan De Roeck 15

Figure 7.1: Bugs assigned rankings
http://www.gentoo.org/images/gmn/20080218/opened.png

===================
8. Getting Involved
===================

The GMN relies on volunteers and members of the community for content every
month. If you are interested in writing for the GMN, do write in to
gmn-writers@gentoo.org with your articles in plaintext or GuideXML format.

Note: The deadline for articles to be published in the next issue is March
14, 2008.

We solicit feedback from all our readers on the newsletter. If you have any
ideas for articles, sections, or have anything to say about the GMN, don't
hesitate to email us at gmn-feedback@gentoo.org.

You can also give us your feedback and comment on this particular issue of
the GMN on the forum thread[4].

4. http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-4871969.html

under.

===================
10. Other languages
===================

The Gentoo Monthly Newsletter is available in the following languages:

* English[203]
* German[204]
* Italian[205]
* Polish[206]