Mailing List Archive

musl x86 profiles: do they inherit from uclibc?
[.Let me try that again… now with the right email address subscribed…]

Hi all,

Just a silly question, do the profiles for x86 musl inherit from the
uclibc profiles at all?

Reason I ask is that when trying to do an `emerge -e @system` in a musl
chroot; it is insisting on installing dev-libs/libintl… then complaining
about musl's presence.

AMD64 doesn't seem to have this problem, only i[456]86. The only place
where I see libintl called out as a system dependency is in the µClibc
profiles. The only way I got around this error was to run the following:

> sed -i -e '/libintl/ d' /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/uclibc/packages

If the hardened/linux/musl/x86 profile indeed does not inherit
default/linux/uclibc, then it shouldn't make a difference, but the fact
it did makes me wonder.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.
Re: musl x86 profiles: do they inherit from uclibc? [ In reply to ]
On 26/01/18 13:58, Stuart Longland wrote:
> AMD64 doesn't seem to have this problem, only i[456]86. The only place
> where I see libintl called out as a system dependency is in the µClibc
> profiles. The only way I got around this error was to run the following:
>
>> sed -i -e '/libintl/ d' /usr/portage/profiles/default/linux/uclibc/packages
> If the hardened/linux/musl/x86 profile indeed does not inherit
> default/linux/uclibc, then it shouldn't make a difference, but the fact
> it did makes me wonder.

So it's been discovered that in fact, they do…

https://bugs.gentoo.org/645926

Thus the few x86 users there are (probably just me by the sounds of
things), we'll have to hold tight a little while until the new profiles
are released.