Mailing List Archive

Decommissioning of the Documentation project?
Hi all,

With the Gentoo Wiki being the sole handler of all end user (and often also
development, although the Devmanual is a separate aspect but not under
Documentation project anyway) we had a small talk on #gentoo-doc if there
was still a need to have the documentation project as an active project.

Because, you know, we're not active (beyond the wiki, which is doing great
btw).

I've been looking at what the project would still mean for Gentoo right now,
and if that would be sufficient to keep it alive. We
- have some documentation development guidelines as part of the
Project:Documentation umbrella (but which can be moved if needed)
- the translation subproject underneath (but again only with a guideline for
translations)

And that's basically not much, and a good reflection of how things evolved
in the past few years. Just keeping it in limbo doesn't serve us well. It's
a somewhat empty project, with its deliverables being implemented elsewhere.
So it's definitely not a failure, on the contrary. It's finished.

So personally, I wouldn't mind that we move whatever is still needed to the
right location (Project:Wiki most likely) and clean up (or archive if
needed) the rest.

But I'm also all ears for people who have some neat and innovative ideas to
do through the documentation project! So, what's your take on this?

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen
Re: Decommissioning of the Documentation project? [ In reply to ]
On 14/06/16 11:31, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> With the Gentoo Wiki being the sole handler of all end user (and often also
> development, although the Devmanual is a separate aspect but not under
> Documentation project anyway) we had a small talk on #gentoo-doc if there
> was still a need to have the documentation project as an active project.
>
> Because, you know, we're not active (beyond the wiki, which is doing great
> btw).
>
> I've been looking at what the project would still mean for Gentoo right now,
> and if that would be sufficient to keep it alive. We
> - have some documentation development guidelines as part of the
> Project:Documentation umbrella (but which can be moved if needed)
> - the translation subproject underneath (but again only with a guideline for
> translations)
>
> And that's basically not much, and a good reflection of how things evolved
> in the past few years. Just keeping it in limbo doesn't serve us well. It's
> a somewhat empty project, with its deliverables being implemented elsewhere.
> So it's definitely not a failure, on the contrary. It's finished.
>
> So personally, I wouldn't mind that we move whatever is still needed to the
> right location (Project:Wiki most likely) and clean up (or archive if
> needed) the rest.
>
> But I'm also all ears for people who have some neat and innovative ideas to
> do through the documentation project! So, what's your take on this?
>
> Wkr,
> Sven Vermeulen

I would tend to agree. Anything that needs to be moved to the wiki can
be, but otherwise, having a separate repository for documentation seems
dated.

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary
Re: Decommissioning of the Documentation project? [ In reply to ]
On 06/14/2016 09:32 AM, Nathan Zachary wrote:

> On 14/06/16 11:31, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> With the Gentoo Wiki being the sole handler of all end user (and often also
>> development, although the Devmanual is a separate aspect but not under
>> Documentation project anyway) we had a small talk on #gentoo-doc if there
>> was still a need to have the documentation project as an active project.
>>
>> Because, you know, we're not active (beyond the wiki, which is doing great
>> btw).
>>
>> I've been looking at what the project would still mean for Gentoo right now,
>> and if that would be sufficient to keep it alive. We
>> - have some documentation development guidelines as part of the
>> Project:Documentation umbrella (but which can be moved if needed)
>> - the translation subproject underneath (but again only with a guideline for
>> translations)
>>
>> And that's basically not much, and a good reflection of how things evolved
>> in the past few years. Just keeping it in limbo doesn't serve us well. It's
>> a somewhat empty project, with its deliverables being implemented elsewhere.
>> So it's definitely not a failure, on the contrary. It's finished.
>>
>> So personally, I wouldn't mind that we move whatever is still needed to the
>> right location (Project:Wiki most likely) and clean up (or archive if
>> needed) the rest.
>>
>> But I'm also all ears for people who have some neat and innovative ideas to
>> do through the documentation project! So, what's your take on this?
>>
>> Wkr,
>> Sven Vermeulen
>>
> I would tend to agree. Anything that needs to be moved to the wiki can
> be, but otherwise, having a separate repository for documentation seems
> dated.
>
> Cheers,
> Nathan Zachary

Although I have not been part of the docs project long (only just over a
year) I do not see a need for two separate projects. As SwifT and I
discussed on the IRC in the channel, I think the docs project really has
no reason to be separate from the wiki. Since the wiki is the main
hosting platform for hosting documentation all doc development is
completed through that vessel.

Not to mention I haven't see any 'new' documentation written by anyone
on the docs team since I joined. No offense. :P

Kind regards,
Blast the maffer
Re: Decommissioning of the Documentation project? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 06:01:15PM -0700, Matthew Marchese wrote:
> On 06/14/2016 09:32 AM, Nathan Zachary wrote:
>
> > On 14/06/16 11:31, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> With the Gentoo Wiki being the sole handler of all end user (and often also
> >> development, although the Devmanual is a separate aspect but not under
> >> Documentation project anyway) we had a small talk on #gentoo-doc if there
> >> was still a need to have the documentation project as an active project.
> >>
> >> Because, you know, we're not active (beyond the wiki, which is doing great
> >> btw).
> >>
> >> I've been looking at what the project would still mean for Gentoo right now,
> >> and if that would be sufficient to keep it alive. We
> >> - have some documentation development guidelines as part of the
> >> Project:Documentation umbrella (but which can be moved if needed)
> >> - the translation subproject underneath (but again only with a guideline for
> >> translations)
> >>
> >> And that's basically not much, and a good reflection of how things evolved
> >> in the past few years. Just keeping it in limbo doesn't serve us well. It's
> >> a somewhat empty project, with its deliverables being implemented elsewhere.
> >> So it's definitely not a failure, on the contrary. It's finished.
> >>
> >> So personally, I wouldn't mind that we move whatever is still needed to the
> >> right location (Project:Wiki most likely) and clean up (or archive if
> >> needed) the rest.
> >>
> >> But I'm also all ears for people who have some neat and innovative ideas to
> >> do through the documentation project! So, what's your take on this?
> >>
> >> Wkr,
> >> Sven Vermeulen
> >>
> > I would tend to agree. Anything that needs to be moved to the wiki can
> > be, but otherwise, having a separate repository for documentation seems
> > dated.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Nathan Zachary
> >
> Although I have not been part of the docs project long (only just over a
> year) I do not see a need for two separate projects. As SwifT and I
> discussed on the IRC in the channel, I think the docs project really has
> no reason to be separate from the wiki. Since the wiki is the main
> hosting platform for hosting documentation all doc development is
> completed through that vessel.
>
> Not to mention I haven't see any 'new' documentation written by anyone
> on the docs team since I joined. No offense. :P
>
> Kind regards,
> Blast the maffer

My contributions are done exclusively through the wiki so it's ok for me to
keep all documentation there.

Regards.