Mailing List Archive

gentoo cluster project
Hello Sven et. al.,

I was not sure where to post, so I figured I'd post to this group.

There is an active gentoo cluster project located here:

https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/cluster/

I have had correspondences with them.

However they are not listed here:

http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Category:Gentoo_Projects

Suggestions as to where to request adding the historical
gentoo cluster project to the wiki are most appreciated.

Also, there has been much discussion about "herds" both organization
and usefulness. It'd be great if when the dust settles someone with
keen insight documents just how "herds" (if they survive) and
"projects" are to be defined and used by the gentoo community.

Last question/point of clarification: You have to be a dev to be
in a herd. Do you have to be a dev to be listed on a gentoo project?
Is there a sub-status for projects, like receiving email to the group?
Surely anyone can join an irc channel or discussion group. An
overarching semantic and documents explaining these and other related
semantics would be very useful to the gentoo user community, imho.

cheers!
James
Re: gentoo cluster project [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 01:33:37PM -0500, wireless wrote:
> There is an active gentoo cluster project located here:
>
> https://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/cluster/
>
> I have had correspondences with them.
>
> However they are not listed here:
>
> http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Category:Gentoo_Projects
>

> Suggestions as to where to request adding the historical
> gentoo cluster project to the wiki are most appreciated.

They will need to create a project page on the wiki itself, then it will be
automatically listed on that page.

> Also, there has been much discussion about "herds" both organization
> and usefulness. It'd be great if when the dust settles someone with
> keen insight documents just how "herds" (if they survive) and
> "projects" are to be defined and used by the gentoo community.

I agree ;)

> Last question/point of clarification: You have to be a dev to be
> in a herd. Do you have to be a dev to be listed on a gentoo project?
> Is there a sub-status for projects, like receiving email to the group?
> Surely anyone can join an irc channel or discussion group. An
> overarching semantic and documents explaining these and other related
> semantics would be very useful to the gentoo user community, imho.

I believe you need to be a member to be part of a project, but some projects
have an additional "table" on their wiki page to reflect active contributors
and their assistance as well.

Wkr,
Sven Vermeulen