Mailing List Archive

Packages up for grabs
I maintain a few packages where I either no longer have the hardware or
no longer have appropriate access to test the packages. Because of
this, I am looking to find a maintainer for the following packages.

These three go together, but I don't have the hardware to test them and
SeJo has gone MIA since I put these in the tree. ;]

sys-auth/tfm-fingerprint
sys-auth/pam_bioapi
sys-auth/bioapi

These two are both Cisco tools requiring Cisco hardware at least on one
end. I do have a PIX, but I do not have a CCO account, so getting
updated versions of the VPN client has been a pain for me for a while.
The Aironet Client Utilities are simple to maintain, as it is simply a
gtk+-1 application and hasn't had a new version in ages.

net-misc/cisco-aironet-client-utils
net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des

I had already asked for someone else to take these, but never got any
response.

net-misc/icaclient
net-misc/tsclient

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@gentoo.org>:

> I had already asked for someone else to take these, but never got any
> response.
> net-misc/icaclient

I'll take this.

V-Li

<URL:http://www.faulhammer.org/>
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 05 September 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> These three go together, but I don't have the hardware to test them and
> SeJo has gone MIA since I put these in the tree. ;]
>
> sys-auth/tfm-fingerprint
> sys-auth/pam_bioapi
> sys-auth/bioapi

i have a laptop with this cruft and i use it, so i'll take em
-mike
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 05 September 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> I maintain a few packages where I either no longer have the hardware or
> no longer have appropriate access to test the packages. Because of
> this, I am looking to find a maintainer for the following packages.

> These two are both Cisco tools requiring Cisco hardware at least on one
> end. I do have a PIX, but I do not have a CCO account, so getting
> updated versions of the VPN client has been a pain for me for a while.
> The Aironet Client Utilities are simple to maintain, as it is simply a
> gtk+-1 application and hasn't had a new version in ages.
>
> net-misc/cisco-aironet-client-utils
> net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des

I can take net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des, I have a CCO account, and I'm
currently using it.

Though there wasn't a new version out for a long time, so the current package
is still valid.

--
Eldad Zack <eldad@gentoo.org>
Key/Fingerprint at pgp.mit.edu, ID 0x96EA0A93
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 03:15:34 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des

While my current employer uses such a router, I find that the vpnc client
works "better" in that it does not force me to route all traffic through the
vpn, but allows me to make my own routes. Of course vpnc does not require
binary kernel modules either.

Paul

--
Paul de Vrieze
Gentoo Developer
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2007-09-08 at 09:41 +1000, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 03:15:34 Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des
>
> While my current employer uses such a router, I find that the vpnc client
> works "better" in that it does not force me to route all traffic through the
> vpn, but allows me to make my own routes. Of course vpnc does not require
> binary kernel modules either.

I know about vpnc, but it doesn't support all of the features of the
Cisco official client. Also, the Cisco VPN Client does *not* use binary
kernel modules. The *client* is binary, the modules are source-based.
Also, there's a patch in Bugzilla to add local LAN access support to the
client, even if it is denied on the server side. I haven't decided if I
am going to add the patch or not, since it does allow the client to
perform actions that could violate a company's security policy. Of
course, if someone else were maintaining it, it would be their decision
to make.

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2007-09-06 at 23:16 +0300, Eldad Zack wrote:
> On Wednesday 05 September 2007, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > I maintain a few packages where I either no longer have the hardware or
> > no longer have appropriate access to test the packages. Because of
> > this, I am looking to find a maintainer for the following packages.
>
> > These two are both Cisco tools requiring Cisco hardware at least on one
> > end. I do have a PIX, but I do not have a CCO account, so getting
> > updated versions of the VPN client has been a pain for me for a while.
> > The Aironet Client Utilities are simple to maintain, as it is simply a
> > gtk+-1 application and hasn't had a new version in ages.
> >
> > net-misc/cisco-aironet-client-utils
> > net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des
>
> I can take net-misc/cisco-vpnclient-3des, I have a CCO account, and I'm
> currently using it.

Cool. I switched jobs (twice, actually) since I started maintaining
this and don't have a CCO account anymore.

> Though there wasn't a new version out for a long time, so the current package
> is still valid.

Yeah, there's no open bugs that need to be fixed. There's an
enhancement bug, but I'll leave that to you to decide.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering Strategic Lead
Alpha/AMD64/x86 Architecture Teams
Games Developer/Foundation Trustee
Gentoo Foundation
Re: packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Le samedi 31 mai 2008 à 13:31 -0400, ben tucker a écrit :
> Hi Mike,
>
> I am a good candidate for taking over maintenance of these, as my day
> job is a security developer for the world's largest software delivery
> infrastructure company for remote applications :-).
>
> net-libs/libvncserver
> net-misc/vnc
>
> I wouldn't mind taking app-editors/hexcurse over as well.
>
> What is the procedure be for me to take over maintenance of these
> three packages?

Option 1: become a gentoo developer
Option 2: find a gentoo developer willing to be your proxy

--
Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@gentoo.org>
Gentoo
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 12:02 PM, Santiago M. Mola <coldwind@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> All my packages are up for grabs. Feel free to add yourself to
> metadata.xml and don't hesitate to ask me any doubts about them.

I hope this doesn't mean you are retiring.. =/

> app-shells/bash-completion

I already have a snapshot script for this and have been meaning to
bump our version. I'll just add myself to metadata now.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> x11-misc/dzen (low maintainance)
> x11-misc/lsw (maintainance close to zero)

Feel free to assign those two to desktop-misc.

--
Krzysztof Pawlik <nelchael at gentoo.org> key id: 0xBC555551
desktop-misc, java, apache, ppc, vim, kernel, python...
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 11/02/09 18:51 +0000, Krzysiek Pawlik wrote:
> Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> > x11-misc/lsw (maintainance close to zero)

I can take it as I wrote the first version.

--
Cédric Krier
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:02:12 +0100
"Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@gentoo.org> wrote:

> media-sound/last-exit

*snatched*
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On K, 2009-02-11 at 19:02 +0100, Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> Hello,
>
> All my packages are up for grabs. Feel free to add yourself to
> metadata.xml and don't hesitate to ask me any doubts about them.

:(

> Telepathy stuff
> ---------------
> dev-util/telepathy-inspector (low maintainance)
> dev-python/pymsn
> net-im/empathy
> net-im/telepathy-mission-control
> net-irc/telepathy-idle
> net-voip/telepathy-butterfly
> net-voip/telepathy-haze
>
> Packages that I've been taking care of and could use a maintainer:
> net-libs/telepathy-glib (frequent bumps)
> net-voip/telepathy-gabble (frequent bumps)

GNOME team need all these working good so we could take those. I think
empathy is already co-maintained by us as an official GNOME module.
We wouldn't mind co-maintenance of the telepathy stuff with other teams
or people.

--
Mart Raudsepp
Gentoo Developer
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:02:12 +0100
"Santiago M. Mola" <coldwind@gentoo.org> wrote:

> net-p2p/nicotine+

I can take this one.

--
gcc-porting, by design, by neglect
treecleaner, for a fact or just for effect
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 07:02:12PM +0100, Santiago M. Mola wrote:
> Hello,
> app-vim/exheres-syntax
I can take this one, I use it every day.

--
---------
Thomas Anderson
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Il giorno dom, 10/10/2010 alle 15.45 +0100, Markos Chandras ha scritto:

> app-backup/rsnapshot

I guess I can (co-)maintain this as I'm using it a few systems already.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
> sci-biology/biogrep

taken.

justin
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

> media-gfx/viewnior

Mine.

Ricardo
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 03:45:50PM +0100, Markos Chandras wrote:

> app-admin/makepasswd

I'll take this one.

Tom
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 18:13:20 +0200
Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Il giorno dom, 10/10/2010 alle 15.45 +0100, Markos Chandras ha
> scritto:

That message failed to reach me and it isn't on archives.g.o either,
neither in gentoo-dev nor gentoo-dev-announce.

jer
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Jeroen Roovers posted on Tue, 12 Oct 2010 02:52:23 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 18:13:20 +0200
> Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Il giorno dom, 10/10/2010 alle 15.45 +0100, Markos Chandras ha scritto:
>
> That message failed to reach me and it isn't on archives.g.o either,
> neither in gentoo-dev nor gentoo-dev-announce.

It's on gmane as

<http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/68325>

"""""

The following packages list me as maintainer. I am gonna remove myself
from them soonish ( 15-20 days ) so feel free to grab them if you want to

app-admin/makepasswd
app-backup/rsnapshot
app-crypt/bsign
dev-util/dissy
media-gfx/viewnior
media-libs/liblqr
sci-biology/biogrep
net-misc/pmsvn
x11-misc/dragbox
sys-apps/pyrenamer
media-gfx/arss

All of them *should* work just fine but I am not quite aware
about the status of upstream development.

I plan to remove myself from many more packages which I co-maintain with
several herds such as qt,kde,desktop-misc and
graphics. Hopefully they will be able to maintain them without me
supervise them.

"""""

These have now been taken (reordered alpha by category):

app-admin/makepasswd tomk
app-backup/rsnapshot flameeyes
media-gfx/viewnior ricmm
sci-biology/biogrep jlec

Leaving:

app-crypt/bsign
dev-util/dissy
media-gfx/arss
media-libs/liblqr
net-misc/pmsvn
sys-apps/pyrenamer
x11-misc/dragbox

Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
2010/10/12 Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net>:
> Jeroen Roovers posted on Tue, 12 Oct 2010 02:52:23 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 18:13:20 +0200
>> Diego Elio Pettenò <flameeyes@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Il giorno dom, 10/10/2010 alle 15.45 +0100, Markos Chandras ha scritto:
>>
>> That message failed to reach me and it isn't on archives.g.o either,
>> neither in gentoo-dev nor gentoo-dev-announce.
>
> It's on gmane as
>
> <http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/68325>
>
> """""
>
> The following packages list me as maintainer. I am gonna remove myself
> from them soonish ( 15-20 days ) so feel free to grab them if you want to
>
> app-admin/makepasswd
> app-backup/rsnapshot
> app-crypt/bsign
> dev-util/dissy
> media-gfx/viewnior
> media-libs/liblqr
> sci-biology/biogrep
> net-misc/pmsvn
> x11-misc/dragbox
> sys-apps/pyrenamer
> media-gfx/arss
>
> All of them *should* work just fine but I am not quite aware
> about the status of upstream development.
>
> I plan to remove myself from many more packages which I co-maintain with
> several herds such as qt,kde,desktop-misc and
> graphics. Hopefully they will be able to maintain them without me
> supervise them.
>
> """""
>
> These have now been taken (reordered alpha by category):
>
> app-admin/makepasswd            tomk
> app-backup/rsnapshot            flameeyes
> media-gfx/viewnior              ricmm
> sci-biology/biogrep             jlec
>
> Leaving:
>
> app-crypt/bsign

dev-util/dissy

I'll take this one.

Cheers,
Tomas
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Hi,

Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@gentoo.org>:

> On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 13:17, Christian Faulhammer <fauli@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > dev-lang/erlang
> >  Very little bug inflow, responsive upstream (subscribe to their
> > -patches and -bugs mailing lists), great support from users.
> > lang-misc is still there as herd maintainer, but hardly alive.  One
> > bug open (compile failure in ~arch, upstream informed, package hard
> > masked), which I would like to close on my own.
>
> I don't really know much about it, but I need this for dev-db/couchdb,
> so if no one else wants it, I'll take it.

I passed it on to you as the bug seems to be fixed by a PLD Linux
patch. I forwarded it upstream, so the next release should contain a
fix.

V-Li

<URL:http://gentoo.faulhammer.org/>
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:18:52 +0000
Christoph Mende <angelos@gentoo.org> wrote:

> sys-apps/pv

Taken.

jer
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 16 Mar 2011 17:18:52 +0000
Christoph Mende <angelos@gentoo.org> wrote:

> app-editors/hexedit

I will care for it.

Thomas

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
* TomᨠChvátal schrieb am 11.11.11 um 12:38 Uhr:
> Hello guys,
>
> As my only Gentoo installation is libreoffice test virtual I am not
> able to really care about these.
>
> So these packages are up for grabs if anyone finds them interesting:

I will take this one:

> net-dns/opendnssec

-Marc
--
8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
* TomᨠChvátal schrieb am 11.11.11 um 12:38 Uhr:
> Hello guys,
>
> As my only Gentoo installation is libreoffice test virtual I am not
> able to really care about these.
>
> So these packages are up for grabs if anyone finds them interesting:

and those two as well as opendnssec depends on them

> dev-libs/softhsm
> dev-ruby/dnsruby

-Marc
--
8AAC 5F46 83B4 DB70 8317 3723 296C 6CCA 35A6 4134
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
2011/11/11 Tomáš Chvátal <scarabeus@gentoo.org>:
> Hello guys,
>
> As my only Gentoo installation is libreoffice test virtual I am not
> able to really care about these.
>
> So these packages are up for grabs if anyone finds them interesting:
>
> app-misc/dsgui
> app-misc/klavaro
> dev-cpp/yaml-cpp
> dev-libs/softhsm
> dev-ruby/dnsruby
> net-dns/opendnssec
> net-libs/dslib
> net-libs/libisds
> net-misc/shigofumi
> sys-devel/autoconf-archive
>
> Have fun
>
> Tom

I'll take dev-cpp/yaml-cpp.

Best regards,

--
Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)
Gentoo Developer
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 09:38:24AM -0500, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> OK, to clarify i'm just re-listing which packages ppl have spoken up for:
>

> On 11/11/11 06:38 AM, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> >
> > app-misc/dsgui
> > app-misc/klavaro
> > dev-cpp/yaml-cpp - neurogeek
> > dev-libs/softhsm - mschiff
> > dev-ruby/dnsruby - mschiff
> > net-dns/opendnssec - mschiff
> > net-libs/dslib
> > net-libs/libisds
> > net-misc/shigofumi
> > sys-devel/autoconf-archive - binki

I'll take autoconf-archive, unless if someone else wants it.

--
binki

Look out for missing or extraneous apostrophes!
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Friday 11 November 2011 06:38:00 Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> sys-devel/autoconf-archive

i'd been updating this for years ... didn't realize someone else had taken it
over ;). i'll move it to base-system herd.
-mike
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Friday 11 November 2011 10:05:56 Nathan Phillip Brink wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 11, 2011 at 09:38:24AM -0500, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
> > On 11/11/11 06:38 AM, Tomáš Chvátal wrote:
> > > sys-devel/autoconf-archive - binki
>
> I'll take autoconf-archive, unless if someone else wants it.

i was going to set <herd> to base-system, but i haven't committed it yet. if
you want to do that, and add yourself under <maintainer>, then feel free.
-mike
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 03/23/2012 04:54 PM, Christoph Mende wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently lacking time for some packages, so I'm looking for
> someone to take over a few, most notably:
>
> - net-misc/curl
> - net-dns/c-ares (preferably both together)

I'm at about my limit, but if no one else wants them, I'll take care of
these. The both important. (However, if someone else is interested by
all means.)

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 09:54:26PM +0100, Christoph Mende wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently lacking time for some packages, so I'm looking for
> someone to take over a few, most notably:
>
> - net-misc/curl
> - net-dns/c-ares (preferably both together)

I can take curl, but I don't know what c-ares is, does it depend on curl
somehow?

greg k-h
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 03/24/2012 11:27 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 09:54:26PM +0100, Christoph Mende wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently lacking time for some packages, so I'm looking for
>> someone to take over a few, most notably:
>>
>> - net-misc/curl
>> - net-dns/c-ares (preferably both together)
> I can take curl, but I don't know what c-ares is, does it depend on curl
> somehow?
>
> greg k-h

I already added myself as maintainer, but feel free to co-maintain.

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 11:44:16AM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
> On 03/24/2012 11:27 AM, Greg KH wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 09:54:26PM +0100, Christoph Mende wrote:
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm currently lacking time for some packages, so I'm looking for
> >>someone to take over a few, most notably:
> >>
> >>- net-misc/curl
> >>- net-dns/c-ares (preferably both together)
> >I can take curl, but I don't know what c-ares is, does it depend on curl
> >somehow?
> >
> >greg k-h
> >
> I already added myself as maintainer, but feel free to co-maintain.

Ok, now done, sounds good.

greg k-h
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 24, 2012 at 8:27 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 09:54:26PM +0100, Christoph Mende wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm currently lacking time for some packages, so I'm looking for
>> someone to take over a few, most notably:
>>
>> - net-misc/curl
>> - net-dns/c-ares (preferably both together)
>
> I can take curl, but I don't know what c-ares is, does it depend on curl
> somehow?

c-ares is an asynchronous dns resolver library. If you are going to do
a boatload of dns lookups, ares is the tool to use.

-A

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:52:00 +0100
Martin Dummer <martin.dummer@gmx.net> wrote:

> If I manage one day to achieve the gentoo dev status then I am willing
> to pick up maintainership of
>
> > app-laptop/nvidiabl
>
> but until then?

What about proxy-maintainership?

Luis
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2013-06-16 at 14:48 +0200, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 11:49 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Due ferringb retirement the following packages are up for grabs:
> > dev-python/snakeoil
> > sys-apps/pkgcore (likely to be treecleaned as it's no longer maintained
> > and neither has eapi5 support)
>
> Looks like these should go together, with pkgcore-checks (currently
> maintained by python, but I'm not sure that makes sense). There's also
> app-portage/maintainer-helper, which has a dead HOMEPAGE in jokey's ~
> on woodpecker.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

I'll take pkgcore (if somehow we can get eapi 5 finished.)

I'll take snakeoil. I'm adding some of it's libs into catalyst

maintainer-helper also did not work for my testing. I needed to patch
it just to get it to start.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 06:55:23 -0700
Brian Dolbec <dolsen@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I'll take pkgcore (if somehow we can get eapi 5 finished.)

Here's the catch: it's not only about finishing EAPI 5, but also about
implementing the upcoming EAPI 6 changes and fixing any bugs that arise.

For it to be feasible to use it would need an upstream maintainer
for that package; it goes a little further than "let's implement X or
fix Y", the code has to be understood to gain the necessary insight.

If one just hacks in things to make it work, he'll waste efforts.
Think before anyone plans to pick this up, it is quite a commitment.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?LegacyCode

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0131177052

I sincerely have interest in working on a heavily refactored PM or a PM
from scratch; but, I can't see myself pick up a big Python project as
I'm not really used to anything beyond average Python scripts. Or maybe
I'm afraid of nothing, I can't tell in advance not knowing its code.

I'll take it into consideration though; there is quite a huge choice
between applying software re-engineering practices (mostly reverse
engineering) to pkgcore, applying those practices (mostly refactoring)
to Portage or implementing an all new PM from scratch.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address : TomWij@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2013-06-16 at 16:44 +0200, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 06:55:23 -0700
> Brian Dolbec <dolsen@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > I'll take pkgcore (if somehow we can get eapi 5 finished.)
>
> Here's the catch: it's not only about finishing EAPI 5, but also about
> implementing the upcoming EAPI 6 changes and fixing any bugs that arise.
>
> For it to be feasible to use it would need an upstream maintainer
> for that package; it goes a little further than "let's implement X or
> fix Y", the code has to be understood to gain the necessary insight.
>
> If one just hacks in things to make it work, he'll waste efforts.
> Think before anyone plans to pick this up, it is quite a commitment.
>
> http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?LegacyCode
>
> http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0131177052
>
> I sincerely have interest in working on a heavily refactored PM or a PM
> from scratch; but, I can't see myself pick up a big Python project as
> I'm not really used to anything beyond average Python scripts. Or maybe
> I'm afraid of nothing, I can't tell in advance not knowing its code.
>
> I'll take it into consideration though; there is quite a huge choice
> between applying software re-engineering practices (mostly reverse
> engineering) to pkgcore, applying those practices (mostly refactoring)
> to Portage or implementing an all new PM from scratch.

Thank you for considering helping. I have stayed away form the
intricate details of package management in the past, but I also do not
like how long portage is taking now for dep calculations. So, I am
going to look into what it needs to be completed. I know there are
others out there that would also like to see pkgcore keep going. If we
(that means I want help, so please speak up) can get EAPI 5 finished.
Then EAPI 6 will be that much easier when the time comes, which is
hopefully not too soon.

For the record, I have admin capability to pkgcore's repo, so if we can
get things ironed out. It will be possible to push the changes to the
main repo and release it. But, I also admit that pkgcore may have to
move to an overlay to get it up to speed with current required
functionality.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
El dom, 16-06-2013 a las 10:09 -0700, Brian Dolbec escribió:
[...]
> Thank you for considering helping. I have stayed away form the
> intricate details of package management in the past, but I also do not
> like how long portage is taking now for dep calculations.

And, cannot that efforts be put in enhancing portage instead?
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 06/16/2013 07:21 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> El dom, 16-06-2013 a las 10:09 -0700, Brian Dolbec escribió:
> [...]
>> Thank you for considering helping. I have stayed away form the
>> intricate details of package management in the past, but I also do not
>> like how long portage is taking now for dep calculations.
>
> And, cannot that efforts be put in enhancing portage instead?

How many forks do we got now?

And I know of at least another gentoo dev who is working on his own.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2013-06-16 at 19:21 +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> El dom, 16-06-2013 a las 10:09 -0700, Brian Dolbec escribió:
> [...]
> > Thank you for considering helping. I have stayed away form the
> > intricate details of package management in the past, but I also do not
> > like how long portage is taking now for dep calculations.
>
> And, cannot that efforts be put in enhancing portage instead?

Many of the speed improvements currently in portage CAME from Brian's
work in pkgcore. But there comes a time when you can do only so much
with the framework that portage is based upon. Pkgcore's base framework
is done differently and more efficiently, which is a good deal of why it
is so much faster than portage.

It has been long past due for gentoo to switch to the newer, better base
framework that is pkgcore and enhance it.

But, as you can see in gentoo's package management history for portage
and pkgcore, development tends to be a lonely endeavour, with the brunt
of it lying solely on one developer. That has currently been the case
for portage for the past many years as well. Others have chipped in,
including myself, but it is Zac that is doing most of it. Too many
others have started a PM in c, c++, to replace portage, with only
paludis having come into usable existence.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:21:38 +0200
Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:

> El dom, 16-06-2013 a las 10:09 -0700, Brian Dolbec escribió:
> [...]
> > Thank you for considering helping. I have stayed away form the
> > intricate details of package management in the past, but I also do
> > not like how long portage is taking now for dep calculations.
>
> And, cannot that efforts be put in enhancing portage instead?

To make you see the problems and decisions, I'm going to elaborate a
little and would like you to ask yourself some questions.

Is it possible to reasonable enhance the Portage code to improve dep
calculations in a reasonable amount of time?

Let's take a call graph, demonstrating the amount of calls on the
arrows and the amount of ticks spend in the call in the boxes:

http://i.imgur.com/A93CdNR.png

Which part do you think is problematic? What can we do to get an
improvement in time that you can actually benefit from? Which
improvements are reasonable to implement? ...?

Ignoring that call graph, you could look at what has recently been
introduced to increase the amount of time needed to calculate the
dependency graph; you don't have to look far.

http://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2013/05/27/the-pointless-art-of-subslots/

While I don't want point out the contents of that blog post, the title
is relevant; implementing features like subslots on an algorithm that
was not written with subslots in mind introduces a lot of inefficiency.

And it's not just subslots, newer features keep getting added to the
dependency graph calculation and it gets slower and slower over time.
It feels like revdep-rebuild moved into the dependency calculation!

A combination of these two above arguments ("where do we start?" and
"why try to fix something broken by design?") makes me feel that there
is need for a huge refactoring; ask yourself another question, what if
these systems were written from scratch with subslots in mind?

Exactly, if you write a system with the features in mind you can write
it much more efficient and don't have to deal with historical decisions
that you have made in the past; you can continue writing without having
to change half of your code, because you though about it in advance.
But well, this is true in the start; some EAPIs later, history repeats!

So, when we acknowledge that it is useless to waste effort on fixes
that are unlikely to have a huge benefit or rewriting something that
might as well get replaced some years later; we should instead look for
better opportunities to do, there are multiple options:

1) Spend an awful lot of time refactoring our well known Portage;
this doesn't only involve moving code around, but also nuking
legacy code you can't deal with (see my earlier response) as well
as writing new code where it is needed. It may sound easy, it isn't.

2) Write a system from scratch that is certain to be future proof;
it is designed with the current and future specifications in mind,
not based on specifications that were awesome some time in the past.

3) Spend time on learning how pkgcore is implemented, then improve it;
pkgcore can be somewhat seen as a a mix from (1) and (2).

Then, which option would you pick?

I'm not saying Portage or the team behind it is bad; it is just a bit
at the end of its time, I'm afraid of what the future will do to it.

For option (1), I've thinked slightly further than to just generate the
dependency graph, there are two things that came to mind that might be
interesting _if_ we can get it to somehow work:

A) Multiple threads

I think the way trees work (branches), threads are a huge benefit.

Maybe zmedico can elaborate on this again, but there were some
problems that make it not easy to introduce these threads; there
was something regarding a global interpreter lock, but I can't
recall the details and am not that acquainted with Python.

Besides that, the threads will have to be organized; so properly
designing the threads, locks and inter-thread interactions might be
an interesting task that could require some effort.

B) Additional caching

Some of the parts of the dependency graph calculation could benefit
from a bit of caching; implementing caching right might be a tricky
thing, too small cache is useless and too large cache is overhead.

Let me take one example part; resolving the USE flags to consider
which packages are dependencies, this happens again and again.

For example, let's say you have

>=dev-libs/glib-2.33:2
gnome-keyring? ( >=app-crypt/libsecret-0.5 )
introspection? ( >=dev-libs/gobject-introspection-1 )

then Portage has to go and turn that into maybe something like

>=dev-libs/glib-2.33:2

because the user has neither USE flag set; and it is not only the
USE flags the user has set, but also the USE flag in profiles, the
default USE flags, the REQUIRED_USE and sometimes even other USE
flags like "use1? ( use2? ( ATOM ) )". Heh, complexity!

So, let's say we want to cache this operation, then we could store
a pair of the following details in the cache:

- Checksum of the ebuild.
- USE flags that the user relevant to the ebuild.
- Resulting dependency variables.

So, instead of having to compute the whole thing, it simply can
look up the checksum and the USE flags the user has set and
immediately get back the right dependency string. That sounds
awesome, but how well does the cache function?

To know that, we would have to look at cache invalidation.

- How often does the ebuild checksum change?
--> Not so much, especially not for stable ebuilds.

- How often do the users USE flags change for a specific ebuild?
--> Not so much, only when the user explicitly changes it or some
masking happens in the profile which both don't happen too much.

That's really great, but now three sad questions:

- But how big does this cache grow?
No idea, it requires another study that implements half of this.

- But how much does this really speed up?
Hard to tell without trying it.

- Erm, what about the USE flags the reverse dependencies force?
Oops, no idea is perfect; can we resolve that?! Heh, no idea...

You can see that it is not hard to come up with ideas like (A) and (B);
but, it is much harder to come up with ideas that actually work, which
is why I think we will not see any beneficial improvement to Portage
tree soon, unless we are going to drop features and write alternatives.

Back to the options...

For option (2) I made a very small start and might continue with this
over the vacation; but before I do that, I'm likely going to evaluate
option (3) if other people are going to jump in as well, perhaps
helping along pkgcore can help me gain knowledge to better write (2)
further in the future when pkgcore is found to be past its time.

Whatever we do, I hope a good educated choice is made...

Until then, I hope I can continue to reasonably use Portage.

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:27:12 +0200
hasufell <hasufell@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 06/16/2013 07:21 PM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > El dom, 16-06-2013 a las 10:09 -0700, Brian Dolbec escribió:
> > [...]
> >> Thank you for considering helping. I have stayed away form the
> >> intricate details of package management in the past, but I also do
> >> not like how long portage is taking now for dep calculations.
> >
> > And, cannot that efforts be put in enhancing portage instead?
> >

> How many forks do we got now?

How much longer are we going to hold on to something that suffers from
feature creep and is based on a design invented years ago that doesn't
take into account the new features (eg. subslots) that are added today?

See my reply to Pacho for more insight why we can't enhance Portage.

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Tom Wijsman posted on Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:23:24 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:21:38 +0200 Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> El dom, 16-06-2013 a las 10:09 -0700, Brian Dolbec escribió:
>> [...]
>> > Thank you for considering helping. I have stayed away form the
>> > intricate details of package management in the past, but I also do
>> > not like how long portage is taking now for dep calculations.
>>
>> And, cannot that efforts be put in enhancing portage instead?
>
> To make you see the problems and decisions, I'm going to elaborate a
> little and would like you to ask yourself some questions.
>
> Is it possible to reasonable enhance the Portage code to improve dep
> calculations in a reasonable amount of time?

TL;DR: SSDs help. =:^)

Quite apart from the theory and question of making the existing code
faster vs. a new from-scratch implementation, there's the practical
question of what options one can actually use to deal with the problem
/now/.

FWIW, one solution (particularly for folks who don't claim to have
reasonable coding skills and thus have limited options in that regard) is
to throw hardware at the problem.

I recently upgraded my main system to SDD. As it happens, my primary
boot didn't speed up much[1], but having both the main system partition
(bindirs/libdirs/etc) and the portage tree and overlays on SSD
*DRAMATICALLY* improved portage's update-ask-deep-newuse-@world
dependency resolution time, both for the cold-tree-cache case, and,
surprisingly, even (apparently, I've not timed it but I was sometimes
annoyed by the time before especially for hot-cache case, and it hasn't
bothered me at all since the upgrade) for the hot-cache case.

Between that and the 6-core bulldozer[3] I upgraded to last year, I'm
quite happy with portage's current performance, even doing routine
rebuilds of the perhaps half of kde I have installed, plus some other
packages with @live-rebuild.[2]

The SSD doesn't have to be particularly big, either, but fast (if you're
running SATA3 to use it) is nice. I figured ~64 gig usage here, tho I
wanted some overprovisioning, so thought I'd do 128 gig or so. I ended
up with 256 gig, only ~60% partitioned (130-some gig) even with
duplicate backup partitions for everything. System, tree, /home, etc, on
SSD, but still doing spinning rust for my media partitions and third-copy
(second backup) partitions, on demonstrated reliable here reiserfs, while
the SSD is all still-development-so-keep-your-backups-updated btrfs.

---
[1] I'm running ntp and the initial ntp-client connection and time sync
takes ~12 seconds a lot of the time, just over the initial 10 seconds
down, 50 to go, trigger on openrc's 1-minute timeout.

[2] 131 packages in @live-rebuild, with kde-live-branch, currently
4.10.49.9999, being low 120-some, plus choice bits of of X/mesa/drivers
and a few other packages including openrc, btrfs-progs and pan. The
@live-rebuild typically takes ~20 minutes with ccache, a good portion of
which is kdelibs, so the whole update including the sync and change/git-
logs check for interesting stuff, @world update, @live-rebuild, etc-
update and revdep-rebuild/depclean, runs ~1 hour, often less, sometimes
more if there's a new mozilla-overlay firefox build or something in
addition to the kde-libs long-build update.

[3] Also relevant, 16 gigs RAM, PORTAGETMPDIR on tmpfs.

Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Am Sonntag, 16. Juni 2013, 21:33:53 schrieb Duncan:
> Tom Wijsman posted on Sun, 16 Jun 2013 20:23:24 +0200 as excerpted:
> > On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:21:38 +0200 Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >> El dom, 16-06-2013 a las 10:09 -0700, Brian Dolbec escribió:
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> And, cannot that efforts be put in enhancing portage instead?
> >
> > To make you see the problems and decisions, I'm going to elaborate a
> > little and would like you to ask yourself some questions.
> >
> > Is it possible to reasonable enhance the Portage code to improve dep
> > calculations in a reasonable amount of time?
>
> TL;DR: SSDs help. =:^)

Some more RAM too.

--

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Tom Wijsman <TomWij@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Is it possible to reasonable enhance the Portage code to improve dep
> calculations in a reasonable amount of time?

Before you start looking at speed, you should make it do full, correct
dependency enforcing. Get it right first, and fast later.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 2013-06-16 06:55, Brian Dolbec wrote:
> > > Due ferringb retirement the following packages are up for grabs:
> > > dev-python/snakeoil
> > > sys-apps/pkgcore (likely to be treecleaned as it's no longer maintained
> > > and neither has eapi5 support)

> I'll take pkgcore (if somehow we can get eapi 5 finished.)

> I'll take snakeoil. I'm adding some of it's libs into catalyst

I can help with pkgcore, pkgcore-checks, and snakeoil as well. I've got
most of the EAPI 5 resolver work done in a local fork and have been
fixing other bugs I've found along the way.

Tim
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:33:53 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:

> TL;DR: SSDs help. =:^)

TL;DR: SSDs help, but they don't solve the underlying problem. =:-(

I have one; it's great to help make my boot short, but it isn't really
a great improvement for the Portage tree. Better I/O isn't a solution
to computational complexity; it doesn't deal with the CPU bottleneck.

Sadly, an improvement to the CPU as good as the switch from HDD to SSD,
I'm yet to see such a hardware improvement. Maybe if we stack the
transistors into the third dimension, something Intel was working on.

> Quite apart from the theory and question of making the existing code
> faster vs. a new from-scratch implementation, there's the practical
> question of what options one can actually use to deal with the
> problem /now/.

Don't rush it: Do you know the problem well? Does the solution
properly deal with it? Is it still usable some months / years from now?

> FWIW, one solution (particularly for folks who don't claim to have
> reasonable coding skills and thus have limited options in that
> regard) is to throw hardware at the problem.

Improvements in algorithmic complexity (exponential) are much bigger
than improvements you can achieve by buying new hardware (linear).

> I recently upgraded my main system to SDD. ... SNIP ... Between that
> and the 6-core bulldozer[3] I upgraded to last year, I'm quite happy
> with portage's current performance, ... SNIP ...

Ironically, you don't even fully use the CPU, but only one core of it;
I'm glad you have a 6-core processor, but to Portage it is a 1-core
during dependency tree calculation.

Portage becomes slower at a faster rate than your hardware get faster;
this will continue to be that way until you make Portage benefit of
it, or failing that you would need to come up with an alternative PM.

I didn't get my short boot from upgrading hardware alone; quite the
opposite, it was rather the results of the efforts spent on it.

> ---
> [1] I'm running ntp and the initial ntp-client connection and time
> sync takes ~12 seconds a lot of the time, just over the initial 10
> seconds down, 50 to go, trigger on openrc's 1-minute timeout.

Why do you make your boot wait for NTP to sync its time?

How could hardware make this time sync go any faster?

> [2] ... SNIP ... runs ~1 hour ... SNIP ...

Sounds great, but the same thing could run in much less time. I have
worse hardware, and it doesn't take much longer than yours do; so, I
don't really see the benefits new hardware bring to the table. And that
HDD to SSD change, that's really a once in a lifetime flood.

> [3] Also relevant, 16 gigs RAM, PORTAGETMPDIR on tmpfs.

Sounds all cool, but think about your CPU again; saturate it...

Building the Linux kernel with `make -j32 -l8` versus `make -j8` is a
huge difference; most people follow the latter instructions, without
really thinking through what actually happens with the underlying data.
The former queues up jobs for your processor; so the moment a job is
done a new job will be ready, so, you don't need to wait on the disk.

Something completely different; look at the history of data mining,
today's algorithms are much much faster than those of years ago.

Just to point out that different implementations and configurations have
much more power in cutting time than the typical hardware change does.

Though, this was pretty much OT; we're talking about the dependency tree
calculation, not about emerging which is rather a result of building
(eg. your compiler) than it has anything to do with the package manager.

PS: A take home thought: What if the hardware designers decided to not
R&D storage, then we wouldn't have a SSD; same story, different level.
Another level higher; we have physics, maybe CERN can improve hardware?
But when will that happen? Can we rely and wait on that to happen?

Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 23:24:27 +0200
Tom Wijsman <TomWij@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I have one; it's great to help make my boot short, but it isn't really
> a great improvement for the Portage tree. Better I/O isn't a solution
> to computational complexity; it doesn't deal with the CPU bottleneck.

If the CPU is your bottleneck, Python won't help you. Python's threads
are fine for making IO easier, but the GIL prevents them from being of
any use for CPU intensive calculations.

Having said that, the CPU isn't your bottleneck.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 06/16/2013 11:23 AM, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> Ignoring that call graph, you could look at what has recently been
> introduced to increase the amount of time needed to calculate the
> dependency graph; you don't have to look far.
>
> http://blogs.gentoo.org/mgorny/2013/05/27/the-pointless-art-of-subslots/
>
> While I don't want point out the contents of that blog post, the title
> is relevant; implementing features like subslots on an algorithm that
> was not written with subslots in mind introduces a lot of inefficiency.

It's actually not bad, since all of the subslot rebuilds are triggered
in a single backtracking run. Anyway, I welcome having people work on
competing package managers, trying to do all of this stuff more
efficiently. :-)

> And it's not just subslots, newer features keep getting added to the
> dependency graph calculation and it gets slower and slower over time.
> It feels like revdep-rebuild moved into the dependency calculation!

I guess the main things that make it slower than it has been
historically would be things like --autounmask, --backtrack,
--complete-graph-if-new-use and --complete-graph-if-new-ver. Note that
you can use EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS to disable these things if you would
prefer to live without them. You might use something like --backtrack=2
if you want it to bail out early for all but the simplest backtracking
cases. Use --ignore-built-slot-operator-deps=y if you want to disable
all rebuilds involving subslots and slot-operators.
Zac
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 22:38:56 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 23:24:27 +0200
> Tom Wijsman <TomWij@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I have one; it's great to help make my boot short, but it isn't
> > really a great improvement for the Portage tree. Better I/O isn't a
> > solution to computational complexity; it doesn't deal with the CPU
> > bottleneck.
>
> If the CPU is your bottleneck, Python won't help you. Python's threads
> are fine for making IO easier, but the GIL prevents them from being of
> any use for CPU intensive calculations.
>
> Having said that, the CPU isn't your bottleneck.

That's assuming you would go threaded, but you can also aim for lower
algorithmic complexities; the complexity makes the CPU the bottleneck.

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:57:32 -0700
Zac Medico <zmedico@gentoo.org> wrote:
> It's actually not bad, since all of the subslot rebuilds are triggered
> in a single backtracking run. Anyway, I welcome having people work on
> competing package managers, trying to do all of this stuff more
> efficiently. :-)

I'm starting to think we're all doing this wrong by going for a naive
"single choice then backtrack" model, fully consistent or otherwise.
Perhaps we're going to have to bite the bullet and go for stronger
propagation models and one of the many better alternatives to
backtracking...

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 Jun 2013 00:07:57 +0200
Tom Wijsman <TomWij@gentoo.org> wrote:
> That's assuming you would go threaded, but you can also aim for lower
> algorithmic complexities; the complexity makes the CPU the bottleneck.

Dependency solving is NP-hard in theory and better than quadratic in
practice. The resolution algorithms also aren't the problem in terms of
runtime (and still won't be if we started using more sophisticated
algorithms for better decision making). The problem is simply that the
model is large and messy, and the problem being solved has all kinds
of awful corner cases that have to be considered.

(As one example, every user has somewhere between a hundred and a
thousand packages installed, each of which depends directly or
indirectly upon every other package in this collection.)

There are certainly improvements to be made, both in terms of
efficiency and correctness, but if you're looking for a big leap
forward then the most useful thing we could do is reduce or eliminate
some of the requirements that make dependency resolution such a fiddly
(not hard) problem.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Tom Wijsman posted on Sun, 16 Jun 2013 23:24:27 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 19:33:53 +0000 (UTC)
> Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> TL;DR: SSDs help. =:^)
>
> TL;DR: SSDs help, but they don't solve the underlying problem. =:-(

Well, there's the long-term fix to the underlying problem, and there's
coping strategies to help with where things are at now. I was simply
saying that an SSD helps a LOT in dealing with the inefficiencies of the
current code. See the "quite apart... practical question of ... dealing
with the problem /now/" bit quoted below.

> I have one; it's great to help make my boot short, but it isn't really a
> great improvement for the Portage tree. Better I/O isn't a solution to
> computational complexity; it doesn't deal with the CPU bottleneck.

But here, agreed with ciaranm, the cpu's not the bottleneck, at least not
from cold-cache. It doesn't even up the cpu clocking from minimum as
it's mostly filesystem access. Once the cache is warm, then yes, it ups
the CPU speed and I see the single-core behavior you mention, but cold-
cache, no way; it's I/O bound.

And with an ssd, the portage tree update (the syncs both of gentoo and
the overlays) went from a /crawling/ console scroll, to scrolling so fast
I can't read it.

>> Quite apart from the theory and question of making the existing code
>> faster vs. a new from-scratch implementation, there's the practical
>> question of what options one can actually use to deal with the problem
>> /now/.
>
> Don't rush it: Do you know the problem well? Does the solution properly
> deal with it? Is it still usable some months / years from now?

Not necessarily. But first we must /get/ to some months / years from
now, and that's a lot easier if the best is made of the current
situation, while a long term fix is being developed.

>> FWIW, one solution (particularly for folks who don't claim to have
>> reasonable coding skills and thus have limited options in that regard)
>> is to throw hardware at the problem.
>
> Improvements in algorithmic complexity (exponential) are much bigger
> than improvements you can achieve by buying new hardware (linear).

Same song different verse. Fixing the algorithmic complexity is fine and
certainly a good idea longer term, but it's not something I can use at my
next update. Throwing hardware at the problem is usable now.

>> ---
>> [1] I'm running ntp and the initial ntp-client connection and time sync
>> takes ~12 seconds a lot of the time, just over the initial 10 seconds
>> down, 50 to go, trigger on openrc's 1-minute timeout.
>
> Why do you make your boot wait for NTP to sync its time?

Well, ntpd is waiting for the initial step so it doesn't have to slew so
hard for so long if the clock's multiple seconds off.

And ntpd is in my default runlevel, with a few local service tasks that
are after * and need a good clock time anyway, so...

> How could hardware make this time sync go any faster?

Which is what I said, that as a practical matter, my boot didn't speed up
much /because/ I'm running (and waiting for) the ntp-client time-
stepper. Thus, I'd not /expect/ a hardware update (unless it's to a more
direct net connection) to help much.

>> [2] ... SNIP ... runs ~1 hour ... SNIP ...
>
> Sounds great, but the same thing could run in much less time. I have
> worse hardware, and it doesn't take much longer than yours do; so, I
> don't really see the benefits new hardware bring to the table. And that
> HDD to SSD change, that's really a once in a lifetime flood.

I expect I'm more particular than most about checking changelogs. I
certainly don't read them all, but if there's a revision-bump for
instance, I like to see what the gentoo devs considered important enough
to do a revision bump. And I religiously check portage logs, selecting
mentioned bug numbers probably about half the time, which pops up a menu
with a gentoo bug search on the number, from which I check the bug
details and sometimes the actual git commit code. For all my overlays I
check the git whatchanged logs, and I have a helper script that lets me
fetch and then check git whatchanged for a number of my live packages,
including openrc (where I switched to live-git precisely /because/ I was
following it closely enough to find the git whatchanged logs useful, both
for general information and for troubleshooting when something went wrong
-- release versions simply didn't have enough resolution, too many things
changing in each openrc release to easily track down problems and file
bugs as appropriate), as well.

And you're probably not rebuilding well over a hundred live-packages
(thank $DEITY and the devs in question for ccache!) at every update, in
addition to the usual (deep) @world version-bump and newuse updates, are
you?

Of course maybe you are, but I did specify that, and I didn't see
anything in your comments indicating anything like an apples to apples
comparision.

>> [3] Also relevant, 16 gigs RAM, PORTAGETMPDIR on tmpfs.
>
> Sounds all cool, but think about your CPU again; saturate it...
>
> Building the Linux kernel with `make -j32 -l8` versus `make -j8` is a
> huge difference; most people follow the latter instructions, without
> really thinking through what actually happens with the underlying data.
> The former queues up jobs for your processor; so the moment a job is
> done a new job will be ready, so, you don't need to wait on the disk.

Truth is, I used to run a plain make -j (no number and no -l at all) on
my kernel builds, just to watch the system stress and then so elegantly
recover. It's an amazing thing to watch, this Linux kernel thing and how
it deals with cpu oversaturation. =:^)

But I suppose I've gotten more conservative in my old age. =:^P
Needlessly oversaturating the CPU (and RAM) only slows things down and
forces cache dump and swappage. These days according to my kernel-build-
script configuration I only run -j24, which seems a reasonable balance as
it keeps the CPUs busy but stays safely enough within a few gigs of RAM
so I don't dump-cache or hit swap. Timing a kernel build from make clean
suggests it's the same sub-seconds range from -j10 or so, up to (from
memory) -j50 or so, after which build time starts to go up, not down.

> Something completely different; look at the history of data mining,
> today's algorithms are much much faster than those of years ago.
>
> Just to point out that different implementations and configurations have
> much more power in cutting time than the typical hardware change does.

I agree and am not arguing that. All I'm saying is that there are
measures that a sysadmin can take today to at least help work around the
problem, today, while all those faster algorithms are being developed,
implemented, tested and deployed. =:^)

Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:27:19 +0000 (UTC)
Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:

> > I have one; it's great to help make my boot short, but it isn't
> > really a great improvement for the Portage tree. Better I/O isn't a
> > solution to computational complexity; it doesn't deal with the CPU
> > bottleneck.
>
> But here, agreed with ciaranm, the cpu's not the bottleneck, at least
> not from cold-cache. It doesn't even up the cpu clocking from
> minimum as it's mostly filesystem access. Once the cache is warm,
> then yes, it ups the CPU speed and I see the single-core behavior you
> mention, but cold- cache, no way; it's I/O bound.
>
> And with an ssd, the portage tree update (the syncs both of gentoo
> and the overlays) went from a /crawling/ console scroll, to scrolling
> so fast I can't read it.

We're not talking about the Portage tree update, but about the
dependency tree generation, which relies much more on the CPU than I/O.
A lot of loops inside loops inside loops, comparisons and more data
structure magic is going on; if this were optimized to be of a lower
complexity or be processed by multiple cores, this would speed up a lot.

Take a look at the profiler image and try to get a quick understanding
of the code; after following a few function calls, it will become clear.

Granted, I/O is still a part of the problem which is why I think caches
would help too; but from what I see the time / space complexity is just
too high, so you don't even have to deem this as CPU or I/O bound...

> >> Quite apart from the theory and question of making the existing
> >> code faster vs. a new from-scratch implementation, there's the
> >> practical question of what options one can actually use to deal
> >> with the problem /now/.
> >
> > Don't rush it: Do you know the problem well? Does the solution
> > properly deal with it? Is it still usable some months / years from
> > now?
>
> Not necessarily. But first we must /get/ to some months / years from
> now, and that's a lot easier if the best is made of the current
> situation, while a long term fix is being developed.

True, we have make and use the most out of Portage as long as possible.

> >> FWIW, one solution (particularly for folks who don't claim to have
> >> reasonable coding skills and thus have limited options in that
> >> regard) is to throw hardware at the problem.
> >
> > Improvements in algorithmic complexity (exponential) are much bigger
> > than improvements you can achieve by buying new hardware (linear).
>
> Same song different verse. Fixing the algorithmic complexity is fine
> and certainly a good idea longer term, but it's not something I can
> use at my next update. Throwing hardware at the problem is usable
> now.

If you have the money; yes, that's an option.

Though I think a lot of people see Linux as something you don't need to
throw a lot of money at; it should run on low end systems, and that's
kind of the type of users we shouldn't just neglect going forward.

> >> [2] ... SNIP ... runs ~1 hour ... SNIP ...
> >
> > Sounds great, but the same thing could run in much less time. I have
> > worse hardware, and it doesn't take much longer than yours do; so, I
> > don't really see the benefits new hardware bring to the table. And
> > that HDD to SSD change, that's really a once in a lifetime flood.
>
> I expect I'm more particular than most about checking changelogs. I
> certainly don't read them all, but if there's a revision-bump for
> instance, I like to see what the gentoo devs considered important
> enough to do a revision bump. And I religiously check portage logs,
> selecting mentioned bug numbers probably about half the time, which
> pops up a menu with a gentoo bug search on the number, from which I
> check the bug details and sometimes the actual git commit code. For
> all my overlays I check the git whatchanged logs, and I have a helper
> script that lets me fetch and then check git whatchanged for a number
> of my live packages, including openrc (where I switched to live-git
> precisely /because/ I was following it closely enough to find the git
> whatchanged logs useful, both for general information and for
> troubleshooting when something went wrong -- release versions simply
> didn't have enough resolution, too many things changing in each
> openrc release to easily track down problems and file bugs as
> appropriate), as well.

I stick more to releases and checking the changes for things where I
want to know the changes for; for the others, they either don't matter
or they shouldn't really hurt as a surprise. If there's something that
would really surprise me then I'd expect some news on that.

> And you're probably not rebuilding well over a hundred live-packages
> (thank $DEITY and the devs in question for ccache!) at every update,
> in addition to the usual (deep) @world version-bump and newuse
> updates, are you?

Developers rebuild those to see upcoming breakage.

Apart from that, I don't use many -9999 as to not go too unstable.

> >> [3] Also relevant, 16 gigs RAM, PORTAGETMPDIR on tmpfs.
> >
> > Sounds all cool, but think about your CPU again; saturate it...
> >
> > Building the Linux kernel with `make -j32 -l8` versus `make -j8` is
> > a huge difference; most people follow the latter instructions,
> > without really thinking through what actually happens with the
> > underlying data. The former queues up jobs for your processor; so
> > the moment a job is done a new job will be ready, so, you don't
> > need to wait on the disk.
>
> Truth is, I used to run a plain make -j (no number and no -l at all)
> on my kernel builds, just to watch the system stress and then so
> elegantly recover. It's an amazing thing to watch, this Linux kernel
> thing and how it deals with cpu oversaturation. =:^)

If you have the memory to pull it off, which involves money again.

> But I suppose I've gotten more conservative in my old age. =:^P

> Needlessly oversaturating the CPU (and RAM) only slows things down
> and forces cache dump and swappage.

The trick is to set it a bit before the point of oversaturating; low
enough so most packages don't oversaturize, it could be put more
precisely for every package but that time is better spent elsewhere

> > Something completely different; look at the history of data mining,
> > today's algorithms are much much faster than those of years ago.
> >
> > Just to point out that different implementations and configurations
> > have much more power in cutting time than the typical hardware
> > change does.
>
> I agree and am not arguing that. All I'm saying is that there are
> measures that a sysadmin can take today to at least help work around
> the problem, today, while all those faster algorithms are being
> developed, implemented, tested and deployed. =:^)

Not everyone is a sysadmin with a server; I'm just a student running a
laptop bought some years ago, and I'm kind of the type that doesn't
replace it while it still works fine otherwise. Maybe when I graduate...

I think we can both agree a faster system does a better job at it; but
they won't deal with crux of the problem, the algorithmic complexity.

Dealing with both, as you mention, is the real deal.

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Tom Wijsman posted on Tue, 25 Jun 2013 01:18:07 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Mon, 24 Jun 2013 15:27:19 +0000 (UTC)
> Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Throwing hardware at the problem is usable now.
>
> If you have the money; yes, that's an option.
>
> Though I think a lot of people see Linux as something you don't need to
> throw a lot of money at; it should run on low end systems, and that's
> kind of the type of users we shouldn't just neglect going forward.

Well, let's be honest. Anyone building packages on gentoo isn't likely
to be doing it on a truly low-end system. For general linux, yes,
agreed, but that's what puppy linux and etc are for. True there's the
masochistic types that build natively on embedded or a decade plus old
(and mid-level or lower then!) systems, but most folks with that sort of
system either have a reasonable build server to build it on, or use a pre-
built binary distro. And the masochistic types... well, if it takes an
hour to get the prompt in an emerge --ask and another day or two to
actually complete, that's simply more masochism for them to revel in. =:^P

Tho you /do/ have a point.

OTOH, some of us used to do MS or Apple or whatever and split our money
between hardware and software. Now we pay less for the software, but
that doesn't mean we /spend/ significantly less on the machines; now it's
mostly/all hardware.

I've often wondered why the hardware folks aren't all over Linux, given
the more money available for hardware it can mean, and certainly /does/
mean here.

>> Truth is, I used to run a plain make -j (no number and no -l at all) on
>> my kernel builds, just to watch the system stress and then so elegantly
>> recover. It's an amazing thing to watch, this Linux kernel thing and
>> how it deals with cpu oversaturation. =:^)
>
> If you have the memory to pull it off, which involves money again.

What was interesting was doing it without the (real) memory -- letting it
go into swap and just queue up hundreds and hundreds of jobs as the make
continued to generate more and more of them, faster than they could even
fully initialize, particularly since they were packing into swap before
they even had that chance.

And then with 500-600 jobs or more (custom kernel build, not all-yes/all-
mod config, or it'd likely have been 1200...) stacked up and gigs into
swap, watch the system finally start to slowly unwind the tangle.
Obviously the system wasn't usable for anything else during the worst of
it, but it still rather fascinates me that the kernel scheduling and code
quality in general is such that it can successfully do that and unwind it
all, without crashing or whatever. And the kernel build is one of the
few projects that's /that/ incredibly parallel, without requiring /too/
much memory per individual job, to do it in the first place.

Actually, that's probably the flip side of my getting more conservative.
The reason I /can/ get more conservative now is that I've enough cores
and memory that it's actually reasonably practical to do so. When you're
always dumping cache and/or swapping anyway, no big deal to do so a bit
more. When you have a system big enough to avoid that while still
getting reasonably large chunks of real work done, and you're no longer
used to the compromise of /having/ to dump cache, suddenly you're a lot
more sensitive to doing so at all!

>> Needlessly oversaturating the CPU (and RAM) only slows things down and
>> forces cache dump and swappage.
>
> The trick is to set it a bit before the point of oversaturating; low
> enough so most packages don't oversaturize, it could be put more
> precisely for every package but that time is better spent elsewhere

Indeed. =:^)

> Not everyone is a sysadmin with a server; I'm just a student running a
> laptop bought some years ago, and I'm kind of the type that doesn't
> replace it while it still works fine otherwise. Maybe when I graduate...

Actually, I use "sysadmin" in the literal sense, the person taking the
practical responsibility for deciding what goes on a system, when/if/what
to upgrade (or not), with particular emphasis on RESPONSIBILITY, both for
security and both keeping the system running and getting it back running
again when it breaks. Nothing in that says it has to be commercial, or
part of some huge farm of systems. For me, the person taking
responsibility (or failing to take it) for updating that third-generation
hand-me-down castoff system is as much of a sysadmin for that system, as
the guy/gal with 100 or 1000 systems (s)he's responsible for.

My perspective has always been that if all those folks running virus
infested junk out there actually took the sysadmin responsibility for the
systems they're running seriously, the virus/malware issue would cease to
be an issue at all.

Meanwhile, I'll admit my last system was rather better than average when
I first set it up (dual socket original 3-digit Opteron, that whole
spending all the money I used to spend on software, on hardware, now,
thing, my first 64-bit machine and my first and likely last real dual-
CPU... socket); in fact, compared to peers of its time it may well be the
best system I'll ever own, but that thing lasted me 8+ years. My goal
was a decade but I didn't make it as the caps on the mobo were bulging
and finally popping by the time I got rid of it. (The last month or so I
ran it, last summer here in Phoenix, it'd run if I kept it cold enough,
basically 15C or lower, so I was dressing up in a winter jacket with long
underwear and a knit hat on, with the AC running to keep it cold enough
to run the computer inside, while outside it was 40C+!)

But OTOH, that was originally a $400 mobo alone, for quite some time
worth probably 2-3 grand total as I kept upgrading bits and pieces of it
as I had the money. But FTR, I /am/ quite happy with the 6-core
Bulldozer-1 that replaced it, when I finally really had no other choice.
And the replacement was *MUCH* cheaper!

But anyway, yeah, I do know a bit about running old hardware, myself, and
know how to make those dollars strreeettcchh myself. =:^)

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:35:35 +0300
Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> > Due rajiv retirement:
> > net-dns/dnstop
>
> I'll take net-dns/dnstop.

Please note that a proxied maintainer was assigned to this earlier
today; so, you might want to contact them:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=451132

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
i want to grab the following:

www-apps/ikiwiki

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 3:11 AM, Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I want to grab the following:
>
> dev-vcs/vcsh
> dev-vcs/mr
> app-admin/cronolog
> app-emulation/ganeti-instance-image
>
> If there isn't any objection, I'll add myself as maintainer.

Gentoo, If it moves, compile it!
My_overlay: https://github.com/aliceinwire/overlay
Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alice.ferrazzi@gmail.com>
PGP: 0EE4 555E 3AAC B4A4 798D 9AC5 8E31 1808 C553 2D33
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
I already took over maintainership. If you want to help maintaining it,
feel free to ping me offlist and I'll add you, too.

Cheers,

Manuel

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 17:35 Mon 14 Apr , Alice Ferrazzi wrote:
> i will like to take
> net-wireless/wpa_supplicant

You're listed in metadata.xml of 8 packages already, as proxy. Have you considered trying
to find a mentor and becoming a full developer?

--
Panagiotis Christopoulos ( pchrist )
( Gentoo Lisp Project )
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
>There are still other Gentoo Developers listed in some of them, for
>example owncloud and wpa_supplicant; are they really up for grabs?

About the package, i use manly only wpa_supplicant for connecting so i
would like to help give support if there is the necessity but as Tom
Wijsman said there is already 2 maintainer.

> You're listed in metadata.xml of 8 packages already, as proxy. Have you considered trying
> to find a mentor and becoming a full developer?

I'm interested in becoming full developer.

--
アリス フェッラッシィ
Alice Ferrazzi

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 05/28/2014 09:32 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Indeed. I only use a subset of the dev-tools packages so those that I
>> don't use will be unmaintained in practice. I will add something to the
>> Staffing Needs wiki page but feel free to join the herd if you have any
>> interest in these packages.
>
> Perhaps it makes more sense to disband the herd and put all packages
> except the ones you use up for grabs?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dirkjan

I suppose so. Let me have a look and see how many packages belong to
that herd and then I will see what to do.

Markos Chandras
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 May 2014 23:07:55 +0100
Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 05/28/2014 09:32 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> > Perhaps it makes more sense to disband the herd and put all packages
> > except the ones you use up for grabs?

> I suppose so. Let me have a look and see how many packages belong to
> that herd and then I will see what to do.

You should maybe wait a few weeks. It wouldn't make sense to first
call on developers to join an existing structure, and to then
immediately tear it down leaving them to pick up the pieces.

jer
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 06/02/2014 02:03 PM, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2014 23:07:55 +0100
> Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> On 05/28/2014 09:32 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
>>> Perhaps it makes more sense to disband the herd and put all packages
>>> except the ones you use up for grabs?
>
>> I suppose so. Let me have a look and see how many packages belong to
>> that herd and then I will see what to do.
>
> You should maybe wait a few weeks. It wouldn't make sense to first
> call on developers to join an existing structure, and to then
> immediately tear it down leaving them to pick up the pieces.
>

> jer

Yes definitely. I wasn't planning on doing this overnight.

Markos Chandras
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 06/ 3/14 02:50 AM, Parker Schmitt wrote:
> I think we need to keep the opencl stuff. In a few weeks I'll have
> time to help.
I work for PathScale and can probably take on

dev-lang/ekopath

path64 - while I'd like it to continue - it could(should?) be retired
---------
I'd need someone to help proxy the version bumps on ekopath though. Join
#pathscale on freenode or email me offlist to coordinate please.

Thanks
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Monday 02 June 2014 14:50:56 Parker Schmitt wrote:
> I think we need to keep the opencl stuff. In a few weeks I'll have time to
> help.
>

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 2:10 AM, Kacper Kowalik <xarthisius@gentoo.org>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi All!
> > There's a bunch packages that I'm officially maintaining but due to the
> > lack of time I'm unable to do that properly. I'd be grateful if you
> > could step in for me. I'll remove myself from metadata in the following
> > packages within 7 days:
> >
> > # OpenCL
> > app-admin/eselect-opencl
> > dev-util/intel-ocl-sdk
> > virtual/opencl

I have some interest in those too, so if anyone wants to help out I can at
least be a commit proxy

Have fun,

Patrick
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 06/04/2014 12:44 PM, Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek) wrote:
> Due to a mix of "not currently using them", "not much time available"
> and "Upstreams has a completely different concept of packaging", the
> following packages have been marked maintainer-needed and are up for grabs:
>
> net-libs/ptlib
> net-libs/opal
> net-voip/ekiga
> app-admin/chef
> app-admin/chef-expander
> app-admin/chef-server
> app-admin/chef-server-api
> app-admin/chef-server-webui
> app-admin/chef-solr
>
> Hoping these poor souls find a new, loving, home.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Jesus Rivero (Neurogeek)
> Gentoo Developer
I've thought about packaging chef (I do cookbooks for a living more or
less), but each time I do I back away because of ruby and how much fun
it is to package (the only sane way would be gems I think...). I really
want to use it at home, but can't (wont) if it's not a system package,
so stick with puppet I will (both maintaining it and using it at home :D)

--
-- Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
08.06.2014 16:25, Fabio Erculiani пишет:
> Due to permanent lack of time, I'm unable to properly maintain the
> packages below.
> Feel free to take them over. I'll remove myself from metadata.xml in 14 days.
>
> app-admin/389-admin-console
> app-admin/389-console
> app-admin/389-ds-console
> app-admin/aws-as-tools
> app-admin/aws-elb-tools
> app-admin/aws-iam-tools
> app-admin/aws-rds-tools
> app-emulation/edumips64
> dev-java/idm-console-framework
> dev-libs/389-adminutil
> dev-libs/mozldap
> dev-libs/svrcore
> dev-perl/perl-mozldap
> net-nds/389-admin
> net-nds/389-ds-base
> net-libs/libgrss
> www-apache/mod_nss
> www-apps/389-dsgw
> x11-apps/ardesia
> x11-apps/spotlighter
> x11-apps/python-whiteboard
> x11-apps/whyteboard
> x11-drivers/cwiid
>
> dev-perl/perl-mozldap

perl herd will take care.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 21:34:06 +0400
Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > app-admin/389-admin-console
> > app-admin/389-console
> > app-admin/389-ds-console
> > app-admin/aws-as-tools
> > app-admin/aws-elb-tools
> > app-admin/aws-iam-tools
> > app-admin/aws-rds-tools
> > app-emulation/edumips64
> > dev-java/idm-console-framework
> > dev-libs/389-adminutil
> > dev-libs/mozldap
> > dev-libs/svrcore
> > dev-perl/perl-mozldap
> > net-nds/389-admin
> > net-nds/389-ds-base
> > net-libs/libgrss
> > www-apache/mod_nss
> > www-apps/389-dsgw
> > x11-apps/ardesia
> > x11-apps/spotlighter
> > x11-apps/python-whiteboard
> > x11-apps/whyteboard
> > x11-drivers/cwiid
> >
> > dev-perl/perl-mozldap
>
> perl herd will take care.

It looks like you mean perl@ will take care of all of them.

jer
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
09.06.2014 21:47, Jeroen Roovers пишет:
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 21:34:06 +0400
> Mikle Kolyada <zlogene@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>>> app-admin/389-admin-console
>>> app-admin/389-console
>>> app-admin/389-ds-console
>>> app-admin/aws-as-tools
>>> app-admin/aws-elb-tools
>>> app-admin/aws-iam-tools
>>> app-admin/aws-rds-tools
>>> app-emulation/edumips64
>>> dev-java/idm-console-framework
>>> dev-libs/389-adminutil
>>> dev-libs/mozldap
>>> dev-libs/svrcore
>>> dev-perl/perl-mozldap
>>> net-nds/389-admin
>>> net-nds/389-ds-base
>>> net-libs/libgrss
>>> www-apache/mod_nss
>>> www-apps/389-dsgw
>>> x11-apps/ardesia
>>> x11-apps/spotlighter
>>> x11-apps/python-whiteboard
>>> x11-apps/whyteboard
>>> x11-drivers/cwiid
>>>
>>> dev-perl/perl-mozldap
>> perl herd will take care.
> It looks like you mean perl@ will take care of all of them.
>

> jer

no, only dev-perl/perl-mozldap. I just use wrong quotes:/
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Am 11. Nov 2014, 15:59 schrieb Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@gentoo.org>:

> * dev-vcs/mr

I can take care of this one - I use dev-vcs/mr quite heavily.

Best,
Matthias
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
> * dev-vcs/mr
> * dev-vcs/vcsh

On second thought, I think, I'll adapt both of them. :-)

Best,
Matthias
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:59:46 +0200
Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I will also drop myself from the net-proxy herd.

Drawing extra attention to this sentence; it looks like the herd is
(once again) going to be empty, as the result of a lack of interest.

If someone does have a real interest in this herd; please step up now,
otherwise this herd is probably going to face a removal in the future.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
El vie, 14-11-2014 a las 04:02 +0100, Tom Wijsman escribió:
> On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:59:46 +0200
> Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > I will also drop myself from the net-proxy herd.
>
> Drawing extra attention to this sentence; it looks like the herd is
> (once again) going to be empty, as the result of a lack of interest.
>
> If someone does have a real interest in this herd; please step up now,
> otherwise this herd is probably going to face a removal in the future.

I will probably remove it in a week or so as looks like nobody added to
it :/
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
El lun, 01-12-2014 a las 12:00 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribió:
> El vie, 14-11-2014 a las 04:02 +0100, Tom Wijsman escribió:
> > On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 16:59:46 +0200
> > Pavlos Ratis <dastergon@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I will also drop myself from the net-proxy herd.
> >
> > Drawing extra attention to this sentence; it looks like the herd is
> > (once again) going to be empty, as the result of a lack of interest.
> >
> > If someone does have a real interest in this herd; please step up now,
> > otherwise this herd is probably going to face a removal in the future.
> >

> I will probably remove it in a week or so as looks like nobody added to
> it :/

Done, this packages are now up for grabs:
net-analyzer/squidview
net-libs/libecap
net-proxy/3proxy
net-proxy/adzapper
net-proxy/bfilter
net-proxy/c-icap-modules
net-proxy/dansguardian
net-proxy/dante
net-proxy/dnsproxy
net-proxy/havp
net-proxy/http-replicator
net-proxy/httpush
net-proxy/ntlmaps
net-proxy/nylon
net-proxy/oops
net-proxy/pingtunnel
net-proxy/polipo
net-proxy/privoxy
net-proxy/ratproxy
net-proxy/squidguard
net-proxy/squirm
net-proxy/sshproxy
net-proxy/tinyproxy
net-proxy/tsocks
net-proxy/webscarab
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 15:06:08 +0100 Pacho Ramos wrote:
> El lun, 01-12-2014 a las 12:00 +0100, Pacho Ramos escribió:
[...]
> > I will probably remove it in a week or so as looks like nobody added to
> > it :/
>
> Done, this packages are now up for grabs:

> net-proxy/pingtunnel
> net-proxy/polipo
> net-proxy/privoxy
> net-proxy/tsocks

I'll take them if there are no other people interested.
If you are — feel free to add yourself to maintainers :)

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Andrew Savchenko posted on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 04:29:42 +0300 as excerpted:

> On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 15:06:08 +0100 Pacho Ramos wrote:

>> Done, this packages are now up for grabs:
>
>> net-proxy/privoxy
>
> I'll take them if there are no other people interested. If you are —
> feel free to add yourself to maintainers :)

Please take a look at privoxy right away, as the herd cleanup appears to
have removed a wrong version (stable -r2, leaving unstable -r1) there.

Bug #535994

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Duncan posted on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 09:28:02 +0000 as excerpted:

> Andrew Savchenko posted on Thu, 08 Jan 2015 04:29:42 +0300 as excerpted:
>
>> On Wed, 07 Jan 2015 15:06:08 +0100 Pacho Ramos wrote:
>
>>> Done, this packages are now up for grabs:
>>
>>> net-proxy/privoxy
>>
>> I'll take them if there are no other people interested. If you are —
>> feel free to add yourself to maintainers :)
>
> Please take a look at privoxy right away, as the herd cleanup appears to
> have removed a wrong version (stable -r2, leaving unstable -r1) there.
>
> Bug #535994

And fixed! =:^)

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 03:06:08PM +0100, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> Done, this packages are now up for grabs:
> net-libs/libecap

Got it. Need it as a dependency for net-proxy/squid. Help is always
welcome.

--
Eray
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 07, 2015 at 03:06:08PM +0100, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> net-proxy/dante
I maintained this back in 2003, i'll take it on again.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 02/06/16 11:42 AM, james wrote:
> On 06/01/2016 06:20 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
>> Due to a lack of time and the fact I don't use any of these packages
>> anymore, they are all up for grabs.
>>
>> - media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
>> - sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
>> - sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
>> - sys-cluster/torque [cluster]
>> - sys-cluster/munge [cluster] dependency of sys-cluster/torque
>> - sys-cluster/mpe2 [cluster]
>>
>> Also, if there's anyone out there using the science overlay and empi
>> who's feeling motivated, that work still needs a champion to get it
>> into the main tree. If not, I'll probably drop it in a few months
>> and open openmpi and mpich2 to project maintenance as well. I
>> haven't been involved in HPC for over a decade now, it's time to
>> pass the torch.
>

> Hello Justin,
>
> I've been working on cluster ebuilds for a while (Apache Mesos, spark,
> etc). I'm willing to proxy maintain these except torque. Assuming
> there are no users of torque on gentoo (bgo seems inactive...it's
> dead; how would I know?).

I can step up and maintain or co-maintain sys-cluster/torque , I use
it at work and have contributed to it in the past.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 06/01/2016 06:20 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
> Due to a lack of time and the fact I don't use any of these packages
> anymore, they are all up for grabs.
>
> - media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
> - sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
> - sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
> - sys-cluster/torque [cluster]
> - sys-cluster/munge [cluster] dependency of sys-cluster/torque
> - sys-cluster/mpe2 [cluster]
>
> Also, if there's anyone out there using the science overlay and empi
> who's feeling motivated, that work still needs a champion to get it
> into the main tree. If not, I'll probably drop it in a few months
> and open openmpi and mpich2 to project maintenance as well. I
> haven't been involved in HPC for over a decade now, it's time to
> pass the torch.

Hello Justin,

I've been working on cluster ebuilds for a while (Apache Mesos, spark,
etc). I'm willing to proxy maintain these except torque. Assuming there
are no users of torque on gentoo (bgo seems inactive...it's dead; how
would I know?).

My focus is building gentoo centric HPC clusters that do not require
systemd as a component, with deployment emphasis on bare-metal and
minimized gentoo systems where only the codes absolutely necessary to
support the necessary frameworks are dynamically installed. Many of the
'retro' tools in this cluster space, are quite useful for my work.

The guidexml page for empi is old, so where do I read up on it's
projected usage (just not familiar with that empi project/package).

James
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 02/06/16 10:42 -0500, james wrote:
> On 06/01/2016 06:20 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
> > Due to a lack of time and the fact I don't use any of these packages
> > anymore, they are all up for grabs.
> >
> > - media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
> > - sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
> > - sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
> > - sys-cluster/torque [cluster]
> > - sys-cluster/munge [cluster] dependency of sys-cluster/torque
> > - sys-cluster/mpe2 [cluster]
> >
> > Also, if there's anyone out there using the science overlay and empi
> > who's feeling motivated, that work still needs a champion to get it
> > into the main tree. If not, I'll probably drop it in a few months
> > and open openmpi and mpich2 to project maintenance as well. I
> > haven't been involved in HPC for over a decade now, it's time to
> > pass the torch.
>

> Hello Justin,
>
> I've been working on cluster ebuilds for a while (Apache Mesos, spark,
> etc). I'm willing to proxy maintain these except torque. Assuming there
> are no users of torque on gentoo (bgo seems inactive...it's dead; how
> would I know?).

Looks like Ian got torque already, but he may appreciate some help. For the
other packages, I'm more then happy to proxy maintain them for you. Just send
any patches my way (including a first one to add you as a maintainer :)

> My focus is building gentoo centric HPC clusters that do not require
> systemd as a component, with deployment emphasis on bare-metal and
> minimized gentoo systems where only the codes absolutely necessary to
> support the necessary frameworks are dynamically installed. Many of the
> 'retro' tools in this cluster space, are quite useful for my work.
>
> The guidexml page for empi is old, so where do I read up on it's
> projected usage (just not familiar with that empi project/package).

The empi documentation did get moved over to the wiki [1]. However, it's pretty
much the exact same thing you're seeing in the guidexml page. I know there were
some HPC sites using it in the past, but I haven't heard from anyone lately.
That could mean no one is using it, or that everything is working as expected.

1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Empi

--
Justin Bronder
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 06/03/2016 12:02 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
> On 02/06/16 10:42 -0500, james wrote:
>> On 06/01/2016 06:20 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
>> > Due to a lack of time and the fact I don't use any of these packages
>> > anymore, they are all up for grabs.
>> >
>> > - media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
>> > - sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
>> > - sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
>> > - sys-cluster/torque [cluster]
>> > - sys-cluster/munge [cluster] dependency of sys-cluster/torque
>> > - sys-cluster/mpe2 [cluster]
>> >
>> > Also, if there's anyone out there using the science overlay and empi
>> > who's feeling motivated, that work still needs a champion to get it
>> > into the main tree. If not, I'll probably drop it in a few months
>> > and open openmpi and mpich2 to project maintenance as well. I
>> > haven't been involved in HPC for over a decade now, it's time to
>> > pass the torch.
>>

>> Hello Justin,
>>
>> I've been working on cluster ebuilds for a while (Apache Mesos, spark,
>> etc). I'm willing to proxy maintain these except torque. Assuming there
>> are no users of torque on gentoo (bgo seems inactive...it's dead; how
>> would I know?).
>
> Looks like Ian got torque already, but he may appreciate some help. For the
> other packages, I'm more then happy to proxy maintain them for you. Just send
> any patches my way (including a first one to add you as a maintainer :)

OK will do and thanks for the help/sponsorship on these packages.

>> My focus is building gentoo centric HPC clusters that do not require
>> systemd as a component, with deployment emphasis on bare-metal and
>> minimized gentoo systems where only the codes absolutely necessary to
>> support the necessary frameworks are dynamically installed. Many of the
>> 'retro' tools in this cluster space, are quite useful for my work.
>>
>> The guidexml page for empi is old, so where do I read up on it's
>> projected usage (just not familiar with that empi project/package).
>
> The empi documentation did get moved over to the wiki [1]. However, it's pretty
> much the exact same thing you're seeing in the guidexml page. I know there were
> some HPC sites using it in the past, but I haven't heard from anyone lately.
> That could mean no one is using it, or that everything is working as expected.
>
> 1. https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Empi

I'll survey and work on the others (checking bgo) and elsewhere for
issues first. Then I'll poke around on empi an see what's up.

Netflix has posted a neat little (debian) cluster and running their
framework on arm (rasp. pi) using apache mesos::

http://ispyker.blogspot.com/2016/05/services-with-netflix-titus-and.html

My (ultimate) goal is pretty similar, just using gentoo in lieu of
debian; so if you run across any other relevant codes, drop me a line.

Thanks again,
James
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
El jue, 02-06-2016 a las 10:42 -0500, james escribió:
> On 06/01/2016 06:20 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
>  > Due to a lack of time and the fact I don't use any of these
> packages
>  > anymore, they are all up for grabs.
>  >
>  >      - media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
>  >      - sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
>  >      - sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
>  >      - sys-cluster/torque [cluster]
>  >      - sys-cluster/munge [cluster] dependency of sys-
> cluster/torque
>  >      - sys-cluster/mpe2 [cluster]
>  >
>  > Also, if there's anyone out there using the science overlay and
> empi
>  > who's feeling motivated, that work still needs a champion to get
> it
>  > into the main tree.  If not, I'll probably drop it in a few months
>  > and open openmpi and mpich2 to project maintenance as well.  I
>  > haven't been involved in HPC for over a decade now, it's time to
>  > pass the torch.
>

> Hello Justin,
>
> I've been working on cluster ebuilds for a while (Apache Mesos,
> spark,
> etc). I'm willing to proxy maintain these except torque. Assuming
> there
> are no users of torque on gentoo (bgo seems inactive...it's dead;
> how
> would I know?).
>
> My focus is building gentoo centric HPC clusters that do not require
> systemd as a component, with deployment emphasis on bare-metal and
> minimized gentoo systems where only the codes absolutely necessary
> support the necessary frameworks are dynamically installed. Many of
> the
> 'retro' tools in this cluster space, are quite useful for my work.
>
> The guidexml page for empi is old, so where do I read up on it's
> projected usage (just not familiar with that empi project/package).
>
> James

Then, I would suggest you to contact proxy-maint project (I have CCed
them to this for letting them to know)

Thanks for volunteering!
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
El sáb, 11-06-2016 a las 22:48 +0200, Pacho Ramos escribió:
> El jue, 02-06-2016 a las 10:42 -0500, james escribió:
> >
> > On 06/01/2016 06:20 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
> >  > Due to a lack of time and the fact I don't use any of these
> > packages
> >  > anymore, they are all up for grabs.
> >  >
> >  >      - media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
> >  >      - sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
> >  >      - sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
> >  >      - sys-cluster/torque [cluster]
> >  >      - sys-cluster/munge [cluster] dependency of sys-
> > cluster/torque
> >  >      - sys-cluster/mpe2 [cluster]
> >  >
> >  > Also, if there's anyone out there using the science overlay and
> > empi
> >  > who's feeling motivated, that work still needs a champion to get
> > it
> >  > into the main tree.  If not, I'll probably drop it in a few
> > months
> >  > and open openmpi and mpich2 to project maintenance as well.  I
> >  > haven't been involved in HPC for over a decade now, it's time to
> >  > pass the torch.
> >

> > Hello Justin,
> >
> > I've been working on cluster ebuilds for a while (Apache Mesos,
> > spark,
> > etc). I'm willing to proxy maintain these except torque. Assuming
> > there
> > are no users of torque on gentoo (bgo seems inactive...it's dead;
> > how
> > would I know?).
> >
> > My focus is building gentoo centric HPC clusters that do not
> > require
> > systemd as a component, with deployment emphasis on bare-metal and
> > minimized gentoo systems where only the codes absolutely necessary
> > support the necessary frameworks are dynamically installed. Many of
> > the
> > 'retro' tools in this cluster space, are quite useful for my work.
> >
> > The guidexml page for empi is old, so where do I read up on it's
> > projected usage (just not familiar with that empi project/package).
> >
> > James
> >
> Then, I would suggest you to contact proxy-maint project (I have CCed
> them to this for letting them to know)
>
> Thanks for volunteering!

Bleh, nevermind... I missed the other mail with jsbronder volunteering
for doing that job :)
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 10:42:03 -0500 james wrote:
> On 06/01/2016 06:20 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
> > Due to a lack of time and the fact I don't use any of these packages
> > anymore, they are all up for grabs.
> >
> > - media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
> > - sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
> > - sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
> > - sys-cluster/torque [cluster]
> > - sys-cluster/munge [cluster] dependency of sys-cluster/torque
> > - sys-cluster/mpe2 [cluster]
> >
> > Also, if there's anyone out there using the science overlay and empi
> > who's feeling motivated, that work still needs a champion to get it
> > into the main tree. If not, I'll probably drop it in a few months
> > and open openmpi and mpich2 to project maintenance as well. I
> > haven't been involved in HPC for over a decade now, it's time to
> > pass the torch.
>

> Hello Justin,
>
> I've been working on cluster ebuilds for a while (Apache Mesos, spark,
> etc). I'm willing to proxy maintain these except torque. Assuming there
> are no users of torque on gentoo (bgo seems inactive...it's dead; how
> would I know?).

Hey, don't be too quick on your judgement :) We are using torque
(and maui) on three HPC setups, though we had to patch torque for
various features.

By the way, what scheduler/resource manager are you using for HPC?
slurm ebuild seems to be even in worse state than torque one (2.6.3
is present, 16.05.0 is the latest upstream).

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 06/12/2016 04:01 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2016 10:42:03 -0500 james wrote:
>> On 06/01/2016 06:20 PM, Justin Bronder wrote:
>> > Due to a lack of time and the fact I don't use any of these packages
>> > anymore, they are all up for grabs.
>> >
>> > - media-gfx/openmesh [no project]
>> > - sys-cluster/ganglia [cluster]
>> > - sys-cluster/ganglia-web [cluster]
>> > - sys-cluster/torque [cluster]
>> > - sys-cluster/munge [cluster] dependency of sys-cluster/torque
>> > - sys-cluster/mpe2 [cluster]
>> >
>> > Also, if there's anyone out there using the science overlay and empi
>> > who's feeling motivated, that work still needs a champion to get it
>> > into the main tree. If not, I'll probably drop it in a few months
>> > and open openmpi and mpich2 to project maintenance as well. I
>> > haven't been involved in HPC for over a decade now, it's time to
>> > pass the torch.
>>

>> Hello Justin,
>>
>> I've been working on cluster ebuilds for a while (Apache Mesos, spark,
>> etc). I'm willing to proxy maintain these except torque. Assuming there
>> are no users of torque on gentoo (bgo seems inactive...it's dead; how
>> would I know?).
>
> Hey, don't be too quick on your judgement :) We are using torque
> (and maui) on three HPC setups, though we had to patch torque for
> various features.

Ian picked up torque::

Which was written on 6/2/16 by axs@gentoo.org.

> By the way, what scheduler/resource manager are you using for HPC?

I'm more focused on small clusters and the ability to 'reboot' identical
hardware into a variety of HPC or container cluster configurations. My
immediate goal is fast and small clusters to run 'cluster-benchmarks'
and compare different cluster offerings, for a particular problem. The
emphasis is the hardware which is identical, so the cluster codes are
the only difference. NO elaborate Schedulers or Framework schedulers,
just testing everything, atm.

That said, you may want to look at Mesos, as that cluster OS, it
supports a myriad of Schedulers and Framework schedulers. It fact it
encourages custom scheduler development.

http://mesos.apache.org/

http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/app-framework-development-guide/

> slurm ebuild seems to be even in worse state than torque one (2.6.3
> is present, 16.05.0 is the latest upstream).

I do not know why more gentoo devs have not been bitten by the
sys-cluster bug. Slurm is still widely used. SchedMD is hiring.

> Best regards,
> Andrew Savchenko

> Best regards,
> Andrew Savchenko

James

[1]
http://mesos.apache.org/documentation/latest/app-framework-development-guide/
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Hi

I'll take sys-apps/razercfg as a proxy maintainer.

Regards,
Ashish Gupta
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
I'd like become a proxy-maintainer for app-editors/nvi.

--Felix
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Felix Janda wrote:
> I'd like become a proxy-maintainer for app-editors/nvi.

Sweet! If there are some open bugs then please upload patched ebuilds
and other neccessary files to the bugtracker, ideally as output by
git format-patch, and then talk e.g. to #gentoo-proxy-maint on freenode
to get someone to proxy them into the tree for you.

https://anongit.gentoo.org/git/repo/gentoo.git

//Peter
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 16:04:08 +0000
Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:

> Felix Janda wrote:
> > I'd like become a proxy-maintainer for app-editors/nvi.
>
> Sweet! If there are some open bugs then please upload patched ebuilds
> and other neccessary files to the bugtracker, ideally as output by
> git format-patch, and then talk e.g. to #gentoo-proxy-maint on freenode
> to get someone to proxy them into the tree for you.
>
> https://anongit.gentoo.org/git/repo/gentoo.git

Or file a pull request @ https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pulls. That's
the most convenient solution for most of proxy-maint team members.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Michał Górny wrote:
> Or file a pull request @ https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pulls.
> That's the most convenient solution for most of proxy-maint team members.

How can I help improve that problematic situation?

It's not cool to gravitate the project towards GitHub Inc.

//Peter
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 3:28 PM, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:
> Michał Górny wrote:
>> Or file a pull request @ https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pulls.
>> That's the most convenient solution for most of proxy-maint team members.
>
> How can I help improve that problematic situation?
>
> It's not cool to gravitate the project towards GitHub Inc.

I'm sure everybody would love to have a non-github alternative. The
problem is that they all tend to be Java-based and infra doesn't want
to go near them (that isn't intended to imply anything other than the
state of things).

So, it sounds like we either need a non-Java-based alternative, or a
way to host Java applications.

--
Rich
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]

Michał Górny wrote:
> people focused on preaching and/or implementing random crap-based
> solutions without even stopping for a few minutes to consider what
> we exactly need.

You could interpret my question as "what exactly do we need" ?

> GitHub works for us. GitHub works for our contributors. GitHub
> boosts our productivity, unlike those vain discussions.

Windows works for me. Windows works for my customers. Windows
boosts my business, unlike vain discussions about open source
and free software. ;) Maybe you get my point?

> We don't have time for all this tin foil hat nonsense.

I think we have all the time in the world, and I think it's important
for us to innovate also in this field if neccessary, as we have and
continue to do in other distro-development-related fields.

Thanks

//Peter
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 6 Aug 2016 19:28:19 +0000
Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> wrote:

> Michał Górny wrote:
> > Or file a pull request @ https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pulls.
> > That's the most convenient solution for most of proxy-maint team
> > members.
>
> How can I help improve that problematic situation?
>
> It's not cool to gravitate the project towards GitHub Inc.

I kinda think this missed the point. ( Though I did entirely expect a
complaint when he suggested it )

One avenue for contribution without Github: Patches by bugzilla, was
stated.

That will work, and is not restricting anyones freedom. It may however,
restrict convenience. But not freedom.

As far as I'm concerned, the statement about Github was a "oh, yeah,
and if you want, Github works too, so if you find that more convenient,
so do we, go right ahead, but you ain't gotta".

Everyone is free to, and encouraged to, create better solutions.

But there's no force to use Github.

If Github dies tomorrow, Gentoo will not drop dead. The convenience
will be lost, but people will still be completely able to send queues
of patches via bugzilla, or email, in the event that web browsers all
spontaneously die and cease to be free by some dark voodoo magic.

`git format-patch` is after all optimised for that latter case somewhat.

Maybe we should look into an Email Based submission service, create a
gentoo mailing list exclusively for 3rd party (proxy-maint) mail patch
queues, optimised for receiving and vetting patch sequences.

You don't need some fancy Java wank for that.

Then all we'd need is some alternative implementation of
dev-perl/Gentoo-App-Pram that can read a local mbox, and select
emails/email threads containing patch series, apply them, push them,
and then auto-reply to the email with a confirmation.

And then people could continue to use Github for their
easy-fast-non-free-workflow, and they could use some email submission
thing for the slightly-less-easy-but-free-as-hell workflow.

And for extra fun, we could support non-patch-queue emails that
contained references to public arbitrary git repositories and
automatically configured itself to pick a patch series from it, like
this example [1]:

1: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux.kernel/w957vpu3PPU

I mean, What do the Linux Kernel use? It would be a shame if they were
happening to use the email based workflow like I suggested([2,3,4]), and
if only there was a Gentoo Staffer who knew how Linux Contributions
worked and had documented it (sarcasm: [5])

2: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/linux.kernel/w957vpu3PPU
3: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=3960876
4: https://github.com/torvalds/linux/pull/17#issuecomment-5663780
5:
https://github.com/gregkh/kernel-tutorial/blob/master/walkthrough#L47-L52
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Dnia 6 sierpnia 2016 23:12:55 CEST, Peter Stuge <peter@stuge.se> napisał(a):
>Peter Stuge wrote:
>> How can I help improve ..?
>
>Michał Górny wrote:
>> people focused on preaching and/or implementing random crap-based
>> solutions without even stopping for a few minutes to consider what
>> we exactly need.
>
>You could interpret my question as "what exactly do we need" ?

If you really want to know...

For a start, something that would satisfy the performance, maintainability and security needs of infra. I haven't heard of anything like that, so you'll probably have to start a new project. I suggest high quality C/C++ since other languages are either completely unreliable, slow and/or designed to be a security nightmare.

Once again, bear performance in mind. Most of the existing tools can't handle big repos. It ain't productive when every small action takes 5 seconds.

Accessibility is also important, but without hurting convenience. Probably accessible web interface with optional ES booster and a reasonably stable API (i.e. not pybugz-style 'XMLRPC is not cool anymore, so we instantly kill all the API you ever used').

That's it for the generic requirements. Now for the specific workflow:

1. Preferably no custom registration. Some kind of SSO via Bugzilla, OpenID or GitHub would work. No additional passwords, thank you.

2. Ability to conveniently post branches for review. Git push is most preferable, but I guess we can live with mails if done sanely).

3. Ability to conveniently get branches for merging. Again, git pull is the best option here. No 'click and download this dozen patches'.

4. No need for remote merge. The thing's not going to push anything directly to git.g.o.

5. Fast review with per-line and general comments. Ability to hide threads as resolved. Lightweight so that people don't have to put multiple remarks in a single comments. Readable so it's easy to note remarks made by others.

6. Good support for updating commits. Preferably being able to reapply (move) comments as appropriate.

7. Some kind of nice assignment/CC system with notifications that covers all developers without explicit signup.

>> GitHub works for us. GitHub works for our contributors. GitHub
>> boosts our productivity, unlike those vain discussions.
>
>Windows works for me. Windows works for my customers. Windows
>boosts my business, unlike vain discussions about open source
>and free software. ;) Maybe you get my point?

Does Microsoft let you use Windows for free? But yes, I generally agree. I regularly use Windows to print after many hours wasted on trying to get printing working on Linux. Having to print three pages a month, my business is much happier with it.

>> We don't have time for all this tin foil hat nonsense.
>
>I think we have all the time in the world, and I think it's important
>for us to innovate also in this field if neccessary, as we have and
>continue to do in other distro-development-related fields.

Sure we do. In the meantime, nobody uses gentoo anymore because it still can't deal with accepting contributions and in the meantime the few last developers retired, and users long ago switched to the comparatively recent distribution of Debian stable.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny (by phone)
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08:48 Sun 07 Aug, Michał Górny wrote:
> Sure we do. In the meantime, nobody uses gentoo anymore because it
> still can't deal with accepting contributions and in the meantime the
> few last developers retired, and users long ago switched to the
> comparatively recent distribution of Debian stable.

Finally the voice of reason.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Deven Lahoti <deywos@mit.edu> wrote:
> What's the policy on maintaining a package if I'm not (yet, hopefully) an
> official dev? I'd like to take on transmission-remote-gtk since I use it
> fairly often.

That would be great!

I think you want to start by looking at proxy maintenance:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proxy_Maintainers

Cheers,

Dirkjan
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 10:12 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 9:51 AM, Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> This packages are now up for grabs:
>> app-portage/euscan
>
> Patrick,
>
> Are you still keeping euscan running?

Yes. It's not in the best shape, but for now it works well enough to
keep it around.
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 02:38 AM, Consus wrote:
> On 08:48 Sun 07 Aug, Michał Górny wrote:
>> Sure we do. In the meantime, nobody uses gentoo anymore because it
>> still can't deal with accepting contributions and in the meantime the
>> few last developers retired, and users long ago switched to the
>> comparatively recent distribution of Debian stable.
>
> Finally the voice of reason.

Reasonable? Are you kidding?
<rolling on the floor with laughter, uncontrollably >

In this day and age, quick installs are the mantra, either for VMs or
containers or workstations, particularly for
application-specific-servers or a variety of security apparatus.
Although the 'handbook' is an excellent reference guide and noob-filter,
the simple fact of the matter is most (nix) professionals consider the
gentoo install system to be arcane and an incredible 'cost barrier to
entry'. THAT, the lack of a well thought out, smooth, quick/easy install
which is intentionally not available, because it is seen as a satanic
idea, is the 800 pound gorilla on why folks passionately avoid gentoo.....

As a team, we could have a simple default program for a simple default
disk format, and a variety of 'stage-4' images, maybe updated every 3
months, to get a gentoo system up, quickly. Not an anything you want it
to be, but a few, common choices. Perhaps a security apparatus, commonly
needed, built on the hardened project? (like a bridge or a firewall)?

Then index the noob questions received from the jentoo-users ML, into
the handbook or companion documents, in a hyperlinked FAQ. Folks could
then work the question/support board of jentoo-user before being
accepted into jproxy-maint. JProxy-maint would then need to become a
collection of docs to read, a half dozen ebuilds to update and then
bang, junior-dev status where folks can work on non-critical parts of
the jentoo tree. And there could be a 'bypass exam' that if you know
the basics of *nix and shell, you could jump straight into contributing
on jentoo. Or better yet:: (Fork the tree for the jproxy-maint and
junior-devs to run themselves. That fork could be limited to a few
security appliance(s) system, and an embedded jentoo system (rasp. pi)
and a firewall/bridge. Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the
universities are teaching and promoting. I agree with gentoo proper on
severely restricting java*, on gentoo-proper, but that sort of thing is
killing gentoo and just appears to the open world as a filter mechanism
to keep out and go elsewhere, snoot. There are just too many exciting
and useful codes out there running java.

After 12 years of using gentoo, the gentoo install semantics, still are
abysmal, imho. I just fundamentally disagree with forcing folks to first
endure the handbook before getting any gentoo (working gentoo system)
gratification. That is why 'Debian/buntu' has market share over us. Here
is a very useful "canned" install that, if emulated, would give gentoo
reams of "kudos" or "atta-boys" should we publish (provide) something
like this.[1]

[1] http://blog.securityonion.net/

"Security Onion is a Linux distro for intrusion detection, network
security monitoring, and log management. It's based on Ubuntu and
contains Snort, Suricata, Bro, OSSEC, Sguil, Squert, ELSA, Xplico,
NetworkMiner, and many other security tools. The easy-to-use Setup
wizard allows you to build an army of distributed sensors for your
enterprise in minutes!"

We could even call it "jentoo", as it could be labeled to indicate it
is for junior developers to experiment, learn, grow and then become a
fleeting-gentoo-dev found @ gentoo-dev proper. And yes enjoy the latest
of from the (insecure) java world.

Restated:: the current (lack) of a slick, simple & quick install
semantic, is what's killing gentoo, if it is dying. What I run into are
reams of deeply accomplished technical folks that use gentoo regularly
and like the current filters that run off the less astute, imho. YMMV.
Most all other rolling distros have a much simpler installation
semantic, if not a variety of easy install options and ways to participate.

Perhaps a well defined OS model, where gentoo can run (secure) VMs or
containers from jentoo? That would expand the model of usage and
encourage inclusion, provide a pathway to the ultimate gentoo-dev status
and encourage innovation (and failure) all in a secure model?

Heaven forbid that we put up a few dozen (unsupported) jentoo VMs,
container-images or stage-4 (specifically purposed) choices where
folks could only get support from jentoo-user. No sir, we cannot make
jentoo fun and enjoyable and quick (and sleazy) can we?

And yes allow java, the way it is available on most other distros...
The current process of requiring all the java codes to be broken down
into 100% discernable codes is a tremendous barrier. After all, most of
the codes that use that stuff, are full of holes anyway; that's the very
nature of open, fast, exciting new codes. They only become secure
after years of vetting (fuzzing) anyway. So make the host gentoo image
very secure and allow jentoo projects to be a VM, or container or such
construct, without all the hassles of gentoo proper. Let the purist
ensure that gentoo is secure and isolated and let the multitude play
with java, however they like (in a VM, or a container image or a stage-4).

You have to look at CoreOS and conclude that even folks with deep
expertise and deep pockets want an easy install (even roll-back) OS.

hth,
James
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 08:24:51 -0500
james <garftd@verizon.net> wrote:

> As a team, we could have a simple default program for a simple default
> disk format, and a variety of 'stage-4' images, maybe updated every 3
> months, to get a gentoo system up, quickly. Not an anything you want
> it to be, but a few, common choices. Perhaps a security apparatus,
> commonly needed, built on the hardened project? (like a bridge or a
> firewall)?

I for one miss the days where Stage-1 was the defacto install, and
Stage-3 was "For lazy people who just wanted to use something".

When we transitioned to making Stage 3 the default, it was like, heresy.

Stage 4? :)

I highly encourage people to randomly hurt themselves by attempting an
unsupported Stage 1 install, just to find what breaks.

> Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the universities are
> teaching and promoting. I agree
> with gentoo proper on severely restricting java*, on gentoo-proper,
> but that sort of thing is killing gentoo and just appears to the open
> world as a filter mechanism to keep out and go elsewhere, snoot.
> There are just too many exciting and useful codes out there running
> java.

"All" ? Some. And the dominance and focus on Java is itself telling of
the quality and type of the education provider.

Some education providers may not touch Java at all, and focus
predominantly on C.

You can't satisfy everyone out of the box.

The rest of your response kinda rotates around a central axiom that
makes other Linux distributions effective, and "Easy":

The lack of choice, a tailored work flow, a target audience, and a
narrow focus on what the vendor delivers.

Gentoo is fundamentally unlike these things, because the Gentoo way has
always been first and foremost about *user choice* and *maximising user
choice*

The reality is a giant hunk of the world are *not interested in choice*

They want something that works and get out of their way.

That's why proprietary systems with deep, vertical architecture and
product lock-in are still incredibly popular.

They understand their market, and they focus on making things work for
that market by tailoring it to a very narrow set of features that
satisfies 95% of its target.

Gentoo's target audience is decidedly that other 5%, the group of
people who don't mind getting their hands dirty, the group who wade up
to their elbows dealing with horrible problems because that's the
consequence of the power of choice.

You can promote pre-boxed Gentoo products if you want, I just think
you're barking up the wrong tree if you think doing that will help
anybody.

As with most open source, it requires volunteer effort to make this
happen, and its a hard sell to try to convince existing staff to spend
more time on producing a thing that exists only to *reduce* user choice
for the sake of convenience.

And I just think most of our devs have more interesting problems to
solve than that, and you'd be simply weakening the core Gentoo
development team by trying to steal existing Gentoo staff to engineer
this carefully designed and polished "Just Works For Noobs" platform.

And even then, I think if you did OK, it would be striving for the
wrong thing.

If you're going to come to a competition that has existing major
players ( such as the "noob friendly" linux desktop market ), you have
to not be simply a "me too!" in order to hope for success.

You have to have something unique that blows all the competition out of
the water in at least one way, that capitalises on an un-tapped need.

Anything else will just be some pathetic copy-cat attempt.

And for Gentoo, our "Unique Edge" *is* our configurability, our
incredibly effective and convenient flexibility.

Sacrificing our primary benefit to chase after some other market
half-assedly ... I can't see that panning out well myself.

Personally, I think we need to double down on what we're good at,
flexibility, and configurability.

Find ways of building systems at the users behest that do exactly what
they want easily, and not assume we know what is best for our users.

Anything else and Gentoo will go in the direction of the sad sorry
state of the Linux Desktop, where neither GTK/Gnome or QT/KDE are very
useable anymore, and they've become encumbered with horribly lethargic
and bloated design, because they were all trying too hard to chase what
they thought people wanted, the standard established by Windows and OSX
for "Easy".
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 07/08/2016 15:32, Kent Fredric wrote:
>> Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the universities are
>> > teaching and promoting. I agree
>> > with gentoo proper on severely restricting java*, on gentoo-proper,
>> > but that sort of thing is killing gentoo and just appears to the open
>> > world as a filter mechanism to keep out and go elsewhere, snoot.
>> > There are just too many exciting and useful codes out there running
>> > java.
> "All" ? Some. And the dominance and focus on Java is itself telling of
> the quality and type of the education provider.
>
> Some education providers may not touch Java at all, and focus
> predominantly on C.
>
> You can't satisfy everyone out of the box.

I have no idea where James gets his information from, but I suspect it's
a niche market where uni students do "clustering" - whatever that is.

The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
(sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
business/mobile ISP.

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08:24 Sun 07 Aug, james wrote:
> On 08/07/2016 02:38 AM, Consus wrote:
> > On 08:48 Sun 07 Aug, Michał Górny wrote:
> > > Sure we do. In the meantime, nobody uses gentoo anymore because it
> > > still can't deal with accepting contributions and in the meantime the
> > > few last developers retired, and users long ago switched to the
> > > comparatively recent distribution of Debian stable.
> >
> > Finally the voice of reason.
>
> Reasonable? Are you kidding?
> <rolling on the floor with laughter, uncontrollably >
>
> In this day and age, quick installs are the mantra, either for VMs or
> containers or workstations, particularly for application-specific-servers or
> a variety of security apparatus. Although the 'handbook' is an excellent
> reference guide and noob-filter, the simple fact of the matter is most (nix)
> professionals consider the gentoo install system to be arcane and an
> incredible 'cost barrier to entry'. THAT, the lack of a well thought out,
> smooth, quick/easy install which is intentionally not available, because it
> is seen as a satanic idea, is the 800 pound gorilla on why folks
> passionately avoid gentoo.....

Err... On that one I agree. How the hell does it change the fact that
GitHub improved contributions?
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 8/7/2016 10:06 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> I have no idea where James gets his information from, but I suspect it's
> a niche market where uni students do "clustering" - whatever that is.

Many of the new frameworks/servers that are developed for running or
managing clusters are written in Java, which is what he's referring to
as far as I can tell. Hadoop, spark, hive, pig, marathon, cloudstack,
zookeeper, and many more (see http://www.apache.org for plentiful
examples) are all JVM-based languages.

University students do not touch on anything related to clustering until
graduate level courses (I just graduated from the University of
Michigan), unless they work on that stuff as a job or in their spare time.

> The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
> (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
> business/mobile ISP.

Yes and no, depending on what you find interesting. Plenty of web
applications are written in python or ruby, but I think it's safe to
assume that most high-traffic organizations have mounds of Java and
C/C++ services on the backend for various reasons.

Alec
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 9:24 AM, james <garftd@verizon.net> wrote:

> As a team, we could have a simple default program for a simple default
> disk format, and a variety of 'stage-4' images, maybe updated every 3
> months, to get a gentoo system up, quickly. Not an anything you want it to
> be, but a few, common choices. Perhaps a security apparatus, commonly
> needed, built on the hardened project? (like a bridge or a firewall)?

Sounds great. What's stopping you?

Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 12:24:37 -0500
james <garftd@verizon.net> wrote:
> >> Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the universities are
> >> teaching and promoting. I agree
> >> with gentoo proper on severely restricting java*, on
> >> gentoo-proper, but that sort of thing is killing gentoo and just
> >> appears to the open world as a filter mechanism to keep out and go
> >> elsewhere, snoot. There are just too many exciting and useful
> >> codes out there running java.
> >
> > "All" ? Some. And the dominance and focus on Java is itself telling
> > of the quality and type of the education provider.
> >
> > Some education providers may not touch Java at all, and focus
> > predominantly on C.
>
> Sure, I agree here, but, statistically these "hi level" languages are
> being taught, in lieu of C; and that is really sad. I'm sure there
> are exceptions, would you have a few CS departments that push C over
> java and the other, newer languages? (I'm curios).

You all appear to be missing the point of education. If you are learning
technologies, your skills will be obsolete in five years. If you are
learning general principles and problem solving, the particular
language being used is much less important.

--
Ciaran McCreesh
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 08:32 AM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 08:24:51 -0500
> james <garftd@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> As a team, we could have a simple default program for a simple default
>> disk format, and a variety of 'stage-4' images, maybe updated every 3
>> months, to get a gentoo system up, quickly. Not an anything you want
>> it to be, but a few, common choices. Perhaps a security apparatus,
>> commonly needed, built on the hardened project? (like a bridge or a
>> firewall)?
>
> I for one miss the days where Stage-1 was the defacto install, and
> Stage-3 was "For lazy people who just wanted to use something".
>
> When we transitioned to making Stage 3 the default, it was like, heresy.
>
> Stage 4? :)
>
> I highly encourage people to randomly hurt themselves by attempting an
> unsupported Stage 1 install, just to find what breaks.
>
>> Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the universities are
>> teaching and promoting. I agree
>> with gentoo proper on severely restricting java*, on gentoo-proper,
>> but that sort of thing is killing gentoo and just appears to the open
>> world as a filter mechanism to keep out and go elsewhere, snoot.
>> There are just too many exciting and useful codes out there running
>> java.
>
> "All" ? Some. And the dominance and focus on Java is itself telling of
> the quality and type of the education provider.
>
> Some education providers may not touch Java at all, and focus
> predominantly on C.

Sure, I agree here, but, statistically these "hi level" languages are
being taught, in lieu of C; and that is really sad. I'm sure there are
exceptions, would you have a few CS departments that push C over java
and the other, newer languages? (I'm curios).

> You can't satisfy everyone out of the box.
>

> The rest of your response kinda rotates around a central axiom that
> makes other Linux distributions effective, and "Easy":
>
> The lack of choice, a tailored work flow, a target audience, and a
> narrow focus on what the vendor delivers.
>
> Gentoo is fundamentally unlike these things, because the Gentoo way has
> always been first and foremost about *user choice* and *maximising user
> choice*

Noting in promoting an easy install semantic for a default, buildable
system, precludes choice after the system is installed and boot. For
examle a default install, using Calamares and ending up with KDE, could
easily then have kde removed and lxqt installed. That would be up to the
new user to figure out, via the handbook and the wiki....

> The reality is a giant hunk of the world are *not interested in choice*
> They want something that works and get out of their way.

Quite true, but we're talking about increasing gentoo's update amongst
those linux leaners, not converting windows/mac users that are not
interested in alternatives....

> That's why proprietary systems with deep, vertical architecture and
> product lock-in are still incredibly popular.
> They understand their market, and they focus on making things work for
> that market by tailoring it to a very narrow set of features that
> satisfies 95% of its target.

Support is always a crowd pleaser, imho. So with fresh ideas, the newest
members support those right behind them in line with user level issues.
Noobs helping noobs. buntu has proven this works, if nothing else.

> Gentoo's target audience is decidedly that other 5%, the group of
> people who don't mind getting their hands dirty, the group who wade up
> to their elbows dealing with horrible problems because that's the
> consequence of the power of choice.

What I proposed, models for easier install and a VM/Container system
that is secure and allow for experimentation with "jentoo" does not
limit, but, encourage choice and experimentation.

Let's focus on the easy install. Once folks get a running gentoo system,
most figure out how to manage it and like the choices, build from
sources (and bin packages for the larger/complex).

> You can promote pre-boxed Gentoo products if you want, I just think
> you're barking up the wrong tree if you think doing that will help
> anybody.

You are misconstruing the message. It's a boxed, quick install that
would behave going forward, with the same (exact) semantics as a
grudge-filled traditional install. The only difference is that first
install is
quick, fast and easy. Nothing else changes, unless this fresh install
chooses to embrace additional packaging or alternative packages compare
to the default install. Nobody needs to make that decision. Surely many
will then go read the handbook and the wiki to move forward.
The install just becomes painless for a few basic or default examples.
We do currently provide an occasional 'liveDVD'. So just image one of
those, with an easy install pathway.

> As with most open source, it requires volunteer effort to make this
> happen, and its a hard sell to try to convince existing staff to spend
> more time on producing a thing that exists only to *reduce* user choice
> for the sake of convenience.

Again, you are incorrectly suggesting that these easy installs will
preclude traditional gentoo semantics for adding, modifying, patching,
or any other form of currently available modifications or enhancement
from occurring. I'm not certain if you are twisting the focus here
intentionally, or you are just limited in your imagination? Nobody wants
that (artificial) limitation, so why would it me the semantic going
forward, after an easy install?

Think of it like sex. All of the traditional would be wonderfully
available, but we're just adding a quickie (install) as an extra option.
No limitations, just *choice* on the install.

> And I just think most of our devs have more interesting problems to
> solve than that, and you'd be simply weakening the core Gentoo
> development team by trying to steal existing Gentoo staff to engineer
> this carefully designed and polished "Just Works For Noobs" platform.

Agreed. My idea is some encouragement and maybe receive a little bit of
positive advise. The noobs will help the noobs, and a few will migrate
down the maintainer--> dev pathway.

On this list and elsewhere gentoo devs have admitted to using quickie
installs, and liked it. It's just frowned upon to document it and
encourage it. Like a wiki page on how to convert a calculate or sabayon
install to a traditional gentoo system.

> And even then, I think if you did OK, it would be striving for the
> wrong thing.

An easy install, does not have to be detrimental. Over the years I have
taught quite a few 'youngsters' how to drive on rural flat land in a big
4x4 with an automatic transmission and a booster seat. You just put the
transfer case into low, and they cannot go very fast and the love the
*power*, spinning tires and slinging mud and riding around. Later on in
life they all have matured into productive adults.

Face it, gentoo is a power trip, we all know that. Letting folks feel
that, in a easy, but real, quick install default version, that
eventually hooks them into gentoo.

> If you're going to come to a competition that has existing major
> players ( such as the "noob friendly" linux desktop market ), you have
> to not be simply a "me too!" in order to hope for success.

The power of Gentoo-traditional awaits them, soon after reading and
learning from the handbook and the wiki. Not all will use this, but,
it sure would put a more attractive face on taking gentoo for a test drive.

> You have to have something unique that blows all the competition out of
> the water in at least one way, that capitalises on an un-tapped need.
>
> Anything else will just be some pathetic copy-cat attempt.
>
> And for Gentoo, our "Unique Edge" *is* our configurability, our
> incredibly effective and convenient flexibility.

Again, nothing in this idea inhibits the full power of gentoo from being
available; nothing. The begging of (their) journey is easier and
more appealing. Many will stay in the valley of the noobs, but other
will turn to the handbook and the wiki; just as grasshopper became
shaolin, imho. Monk my words.....

> Sacrificing our primary benefit to chase after some other market
> half-assedly ... I can't see that panning out well myself.

You keep with this false choice, that is non-sequitur. The only limiting
here is your mind.

> Personally, I think we need to double down on what we're good at,
> flexibility, and configurability.

No arguments there. Putting an experimental for of gentoo, complete with
questionable java, into a secure Gentoo hosted VM or Container,
is not flexibility and configurability?

> Find ways of building systems at the users behest that do exactly what
> they want easily, and not assume we know what is best for our users.

You should go to any of the progressive job boards (stackoverflow etc).
Java is everywhere. It should not be mandated but a choice. Sincere the
are numerous issues java, secure it via a VM or a container, if that can
be done?

> Anything else and Gentoo will go in the direction of the sad sorry
> state of the Linux Desktop, where neither GTK/Gnome or QT/KDE are very
> useable anymore, and they've become encumbered with horribly lethargic
> and bloated design, because they were all trying too hard to chase what
> they thought people wanted, the standard established by Windows and OSX
> for "Easy".

Agreed and that is not what I'm proposing, either. I'm proposing an easy
install for a few types of basic systems (that choice is open to
discussion). And, if possible, a way to put either a secure VM or a
secure container on a hardened gentoo system to put an
insecure/experimental form of jentoo into.

No one but you is talking about any limitations.

hth,
James

Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 09:09 AM, Consus wrote:
> On 08:24 Sun 07 Aug, james wrote:
>>>
>>> Finally the voice of reason.
>>
>> Reasonable? Are you kidding?
>> <rolling on the floor with laughter, uncontrollably >
>>
>> In this day and age, quick installs are the mantra, either for VMs or
>> containers or workstations, particularly for application-specific-servers or
>> a variety of security apparatus. Although the 'handbook' is an excellent
>> reference guide and noob-filter, the simple fact of the matter is most (nix)
>> professionals consider the gentoo install system to be arcane and an
>> incredible 'cost barrier to entry'. THAT, the lack of a well thought out,
>> smooth, quick/easy install which is intentionally not available, because it
>> is seen as a satanic idea, is the 800 pound gorilla on why folks
>> passionately avoid gentoo.....
>
> Err... On that one I agree. How the hell does it change the fact that
> GitHub improved contributions?

Ok, so I should have prune the post to focus my response::

"In the meantime, nobody uses gentoo anymore because"

My response is not about github, the past or the future of the Version
Control, Contributions or such, espoused by github.

My responses are to why such a mature and wonderful distro, Gentoo
specifically, is suffering::"nobody uses gentoo anymore". And in fact I
mildly questioned if that is the case. I think we all agree that there
is some mistery as to why gentoo is not grower more attractive, to folks
not using gentoo, at a faster rate with greater uptake on a permanent
commitment to gentoo (if I may politely be so bold?).

Git hub is fine. Sure, I'd like to see the tree run on something
opensource, but, github is fine, for now. ymmv. The future, who knows.

hth,
James
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 09:06 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 07/08/2016 15:32, Kent Fredric wrote:
>>> Let them use java* codes, as that is what all the universities are
>> "All" ? Some. And the dominance and focus on Java is itself telling of
>> the quality and type of the education provider.
>>
>> Some education providers may not touch Java at all, and focus
>> predominantly on C.
>>
>> You can't satisfy everyone out of the box.
>>

> I have no idea where James gets his information from, but I suspect it's
> a niche market where uni students do "clustering" - whatever that is.

I spend a lot of time "hooping" with college kids in a variety of
venues. College kids and adults, from around the world visit the hoop
venues in Central Florida. Lots of kids who are not CS majors are
involved in coding, and java reigns supreme, imho, as the most often
cited programming language they use, because professors and employers
alike dictate that on them.

Also Just look at the job boards and the new projects springing up on
github. Sure python is very popular. But, I cannot think of a single
distro that offer java and precludes python, so why not have both.

Yes java is popular in rich environments where jobs in the cloud or on
an internal cluster contain java codes. Most kids only use the cloud and
are not 'full stack' aware or part of the foundation of the resources
they code for.

> The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
> (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
> business/mobile ISP.

Look at the job listing on stackoverflow and elsewhere (java) is very
popular when they list several programming languages to meet the
requirements. I'm not promoting java, at all, but just stating that it
is very popular, on new projects (but not all) and it is a large and
frequent requirement, dictating by employers. Kids coming out of college
want a job, more than anything, and most are having java crammed down
their throats. So we should find a way to robustly
support those that need java. Nothing is precluding other languages
in my message. Personally I avoid java, unless it is critical to
a code or family of codes I need to run.

hth,
James
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 11:21 AM, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:

>>> "All" ? Some. And the dominance and focus on Java is itself telling
>>> of the quality and type of the education provider.
>>>
>>> Some education providers may not touch Java at all, and focus
>>> predominantly on C.
>>
>> Sure, I agree here, but, statistically these "hi level" languages are
>> being taught, in lieu of C; and that is really sad. I'm sure there
>> are exceptions, would you have a few CS departments that push C over
>> java and the other, newer languages? (I'm curios).
>
> You all appear to be missing the point of education. If you are learning
> technologies, your skills will be obsolete in five years. If you are
> learning general principles and problem solving, the particular
> language being used is much less important.

I agree, but if you do not know of C and or Assembler, how can you
comprehend what goes on in firmware or with an embedded system?
The bootstapped state machine, teach grasshoppers to appreciate an RTOS.
Likewise, the linux kernel become a great thing of beauty, when one has
spend some time with an Rtos.

If you don not know of those things, how can these kids comprehend that
illicit codes are in hardware, or the lower layers of the stack and thus
fuzzing the code they wrote is pointless. I guess you could write
firmware in Go, but that would be quite a stretch to the EE that work
with the CE that builds the basis of a product or a system. They lack
fundamental understanding of the fundamentals because these kids are
being moved further and further away from how hardware and low level
codes actually work. They are clueless, imho, and that is a fundamental
fault-line in their education, imho.

I do not know of a single hacker on the gentoo embedded channel that
struggles to run a basic gentoo server, but the opposite is quite a
common occurrence, sysadms that know little of low level issues, imho.
That's my point; and gentoo is possible part of the solution to change
this, imho.

hth,
James
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 07/08/2016 19:36, james wrote:
>> The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
>> (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
>> business/mobile ISP.
>

> Look at the job listing on stackoverflow and elsewhere (java) is very
> popular when they list several programming languages to meet the
> requirements. I'm not promoting java, at all, but just stating that it
> is very popular, on new projects (but not all) and it is a large and
> frequent requirement, dictating by employers. Kids coming out of college
> want a job, more than anything, and most are having java crammed down
> their throats. So we should find a way to robustly
> support those that need java. Nothing is precluding other languages
> in my message. Personally I avoid java, unless it is critical to
> a code or family of codes I need to run.

I recommend Java as a teaching language at university level.

You get all the benefits of a C-like syntax without the overhead of
learning to deal with C and/or C++. You don't have to deal with the
toolchain (much), you can easily show correct implementations of OOP
style without getting into generics (or, you can avoid Java generics
altogether at this level and pretend they don't exist).

In short, what's not to like for teaching? All win not much lose.

Well OK some kids come away thinking Java is the one and only, but they
will have that too if Python is the teaching language. Realizing there
are other things out there is part of the learning process.

But, despite all that, Java is not special. It should run on Gentoo for
anyone who wants it, just like things starting with P.

You volunteering to do the grunt work?

--
Alan McKinnon
alan.mckinnon@gmail.com
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 10:04 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 07/08/2016 19:36, james wrote:
>>> The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
>>> (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
>>> business/mobile ISP.
>>

>> Look at the job listing on stackoverflow and elsewhere (java) is very
>> popular when they list several programming languages to meet the
>> requirements. I'm not promoting java, at all, but just stating that it
>> is very popular, on new projects (but not all) and it is a large and
>> frequent requirement, dictating by employers. Kids coming out of college
>> want a job, more than anything, and most are having java crammed down
>> their throats. So we should find a way to robustly
>> support those that need java. Nothing is precluding other languages
>> in my message. Personally I avoid java, unless it is critical to
>> a code or family of codes I need to run.
>

> I recommend Java as a teaching language at university level.

I've seen the fallout from trying to do that.

It's a horribly bad idea ...

> You get all the benefits of a C-like syntax without the overhead of
> learning to deal with C and/or C++. You don't have to deal with the
> toolchain (much), you can easily show correct implementations of OOP
> style without getting into generics (or, you can avoid Java generics
> altogether at this level and pretend they don't exist).

Java and OOP ? If you want to do things right, best to use something
proper like Eiffel or Oberon. And Java will be most excellent at
teaching about pointers (but there are no pointers!) to maximize the
learning curve gradient ...

On the upside your students will learn useless incantations along the
lines of "publicstaticvoidmain!" that they can't explain and copypasta :)

I've found these two a long time ago, and they still amuse me:

http://gentooexperimental.org/~patrick/keywords.java.txt
http://gentooexperimental.org/~patrick/helloworld.java.txt

> In short, what's not to like for teaching? All win not much lose.
>
> Well OK some kids come away thinking Java is the one and only, but they
> will have that too if Python is the teaching language. Realizing there
> are other things out there is part of the learning process.
>
> But, despite all that, Java is not special. It should run on Gentoo for
> anyone who wants it, just like things starting with P.
>
> You volunteering to do the grunt work?

Java works pretty well on Gentoo, I'm not quite sure what needs to be
fixed ... I mean, apart from our insane idea to "build from source"
which doesn't fit with the existing structures in the java ecosystem
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 03:04 PM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On 07/08/2016 19:36, james wrote:
>>> The interesting apps out there are mostly running python, go and
>>> (sometimes) lua. And that's what I observe in my day job -
>>> business/mobile ISP.
>>

>> Look at the job listing on stackoverflow and elsewhere (java) is very
>> popular when they list several programming languages to meet the
>> requirements. I'm not promoting java, at all, but just stating that it
>> is very popular, on new projects (but not all) and it is a large and
>> frequent requirement, dictating by employers. Kids coming out of college
>> want a job, more than anything, and most are having java crammed down
>> their throats. So we should find a way to robustly
>> support those that need java. Nothing is precluding other languages
>> in my message. Personally I avoid java, unless it is critical to
>> a code or family of codes I need to run.
>

> I recommend Java as a teaching language at university level.
>
> You get all the benefits of a C-like syntax without the overhead of
> learning to deal with C and/or C++. You don't have to deal with the
> toolchain (much), you can easily show correct implementations of OOP
> style without getting into generics (or, you can avoid Java generics
> altogether at this level and pretend they don't exist).
>
> In short, what's not to like for teaching? All win not much lose.

I guess folks do not prototype new hardware (dev boards) and sit with an
EE to exercise hardware and peripherals to get them burned in, working
and basic drive code working, or yall do that is java at your U?

This sort of thing in done on a fpga too, at your U? Are you on the
engineering side or the business side of the campus? (just curious).

> Well OK some kids come away thinking Java is the one and only, but they
> will have that too if Python is the teaching language. Realizing there
> are other things out there is part of the learning process.
>
> But, despite all that, Java is not special. It should run on Gentoo for
> anyone who wants it, just like things starting with P.
>
> You volunteering to do the grunt work?

I'm actually too stupid work on java. I need a new java-moral-compass.
Besides, I'm knee deep into automating a way to put minimal, hardened
gentoo onto a variety of platforms, with a few keystrokes (guidance,
suggestions and leadership are appreciated). Most of the pieces exist,
but I fear I have installa-dyslexia syndrome.

After that feat is accomplished, then a similar deployment of a gentoo
cluster on a those just installed gentoo minimal images, via a few
keystrokes (I am flexible on the cluster codes that comprise the
cluster). Then (only after those 2 things are robustly accomplished) I
do intend to return to my java travails (search out bgo, as I have a
long love-hate relationship with java on gentoo).....

hth,
James
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 03:48 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:

> Java works pretty well on Gentoo, I'm not quite sure what needs to be
> fixed ... I mean, apart from our insane idea to "build from source"
> which doesn't fit with the existing structures in the java ecosystem

Wow!. Patrick, you are my hero. I have an old couple of (java-centric)
bugs in bgo that maybe you could take a quick look at the attached
ebuilds and either fix them or send me a guildline how to fix them? Both
have ebuilds attached. But if you can fix them, it'd be trivial to also
get the latest stable release of those cluster centric java
nightmares.... I would not even care if they reside in an overlay
somewhere, as gentoo tree acceptance is often a pilgrimage.

They are very popular codes, just so you know, so you are talking about
becoming gentoo-legend...... I'd even be willing to proxy them after
they are fixed, or with a mentor that knows more about java than I.
(that's not difficult at all).

BGO-510912 (Apache-Mesos) and BGO-523412 (Apache-Spark)

Publicly or privately, you'd get much more than my gratitude...
(seriously).

I also use euscan frequently (just so you know).

curiously,
James
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 16:49:01 -0500
james <garftd@verizon.net> wrote:

> After that feat is accomplished, then a similar deployment of a
> gentoo cluster on a those just installed gentoo minimal images, via a
> few keystrokes (I am flexible on the cluster codes that comprise the
> cluster). Then (only after those 2 things are robustly accomplished)
> I do intend to return to my java travails (search out bgo, as I have
> a long love-hate relationship with java on gentoo).....

I think its probably worth mentioning that there are likely problems
Gentoo faces around Java that are of a legal manner, not merely
technical.

Like for instance, the fact you can't install the official Orcale/Sun
JDK/JRE automatically is due to the fact:

- They prohibit replication/mirroring
- Their website requires a license agreement acceptance to download

And the latter of these is /plausible/ to automate via curl and some
"Set cookies" magic ( apparently arch do this ), but falls into a legal
grey area.

If this is a problem we have simply downloading and installing, I'd
imagine there are other problems we face having it on ready-to-go media.
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 00:26:01 -0500
james <garftd@verizon.net> wrote:

> so it is paused for a licensed
> download, as necessary, is not a show stopper

The problem is that download requires a Browser with JavaScript
support, because it requires JavaScript to set a cookie, and that
cookie activates the download working.

Which means if your installer is for instance, Curses based, you're
pretty much out-of-luck.

"Please open browser at this point, but we don't have a working desktop
environment yet to do this" is a bit of a hard problem.

"You need 2 computers to install this" is also a bit of a problem.

So installing Java would have to be done /after/ the install.
Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 08/07/2016 10:22 PM, Kent Fredric wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Aug 2016 16:49:01 -0500
> james <garftd@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> After that feat is accomplished, then a similar deployment of a
>> gentoo cluster on a those just installed gentoo minimal images, via a
>> few keystrokes (I am flexible on the cluster codes that comprise the
>> cluster). Then (only after those 2 things are robustly accomplished)
>> I do intend to return to my java travails (search out bgo, as I have
>> a long love-hate relationship with java on gentoo).....
>
> I think its probably worth mentioning that there are likely problems
> Gentoo faces around Java that are of a legal manner, not merely
> technical.
>
> Like for instance, the fact you can't install the official Orcale/Sun
> JDK/JRE automatically is due to the fact:
>
> - They prohibit replication/mirroring
> - Their website requires a license agreement acceptance to download
>
> And the latter of these is /plausible/ to automate via curl and some
> "Set cookies" magic ( apparently arch do this ), but falls into a legal
> grey area.
>

> If this is a problem we have simply downloading and installing, I'd
> imagine there are other problems we face having it on ready-to-go media.

So the minimal default automated installs would not carry java code; OK.
Yep, traversing the install semantics, so it is paused for a licensed
download, as necessary, is not a show stopper. I'm pretty sure I used
maven, sbt, icedtea and curl for these cluster ebuilds in question;
Apache-Mesos and Apache-Spark. There are hacked ebuilds in BGO. I'm
pretty sure Mesos was reorganized so all the third party stuff are
modular in such a fashion that the issues you point out have legal
install solution. In fact Mesos is purported to almost all C++ code
now and the other languages issue are not part ot the core of Mesos,
or something to that effect I read somewhere.

I'm no java expert, so surely a dev with that sort of expertise could
take a look, and fix them or give me guidance. Mesos installs. My
Apache-spark ebuild needed some manual fiddling with sbt, during the
install to get it to install to Spark, so it is a bit broken.
Apache-Spark is a bit more complex, but it has progressed to version
2.0, since I hack an ebuild for 1.5. Tons of folks ((big opensource
projects) use them, so surely there is a way to solve these issues, for
devs with that sort of knowledge and meet gentoo standards?

Re: Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 8 Aug 2016 16:33:15 +1200
Kent Fredric <kentnl@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > so it is paused for a licensed
> > download, as necessary, is not a show stopper
>
> The problem is that download requires a Browser with JavaScript
> support, because it requires JavaScript to set a cookie, and that
> cookie activates the download working.
>
> Which means if your installer is for instance, Curses based, you're
> pretty much out-of-luck.
>
> "Please open browser at this point, but we don't have a working
> desktop environment yet to do this" is a bit of a hard problem.
>
> "You need 2 computers to install this" is also a bit of a problem.
>
> So installing Java would have to be done /after/ the install.

Scratch this.

Just use iced-tea JDK by default. People who want oracle can do the
extra work.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
interested in euscan
I'm using it in one of my server.
but I'm away untill 14 of this month.

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 12:25:37 -0500
Mike Gilbert <floppym@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:06 AM, Thomas Kahle <tomka@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'd like to pass on maintainership of
> >
> > dev-cpp/gtest
> > dev-cpp/gmock
> >
> > I don't use them and I don't even remember how I came to maintain
> > them. These two are among the packages that have googlecode in
> > their SRC_URI, so this is a bit urgent. Upstream has moved to
> > github and merged the two packages:
> >
> > https://github.com/google/googletest
> >
> > The next and only thing on the agenda is to bump and unify the
> > two ebuilds to version 1.8.0 which was released in August.
> > Anyone?
>
> Whoever picks this up might want to consider switching to cmake, and
> installing static libs instead of shared libs.
>
> The current ebuild installs shared libs with libtools default soname
> version (0). The cmake build doesn't even bother with that and
> installs bare .so files.
>
> I don't think they are intended to be used as systemwide shared libraries.

AFAIK they are not intended to be installed as compiled code at all.
You are supposed to bundle them, or otherwise compile them from sources
along with your project.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]

> AFAIK they are not intended to be installed as compiled code at all.
> You are supposed to bundle them, or otherwise compile them from sources
> along with your project.

You are correct, apparently they changed their stance on this some time ago
as you can read here:

https://github.com/google/googletest/blob/master/googletest/docs/FAQ.md#why-is-it-not-recommended-to-install-a-pre-compiled-copy-of-google-test-for-example-into-usrlocal

They also no longer support the autotools scripts that are provided with
the source code as you can read in the README:

https://github.com/google/googletest/blob/master/googletest/README.md#legacy-build-scripts

There are quite some packages depending on them so they can't just be
last-rited. Maybe the best solution is to leave them in their current form
(perhaps update the SRC_URI) and not accepting package updates to 1.8,
instead asking upstream packages that depend on them to include them in
their source distribution.

br,
Mathy
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 25/11/2016 23:34, Mathy Vanvoorden wrote:
> AFAIK they are not intended to be installed as compiled code at all.
> You are supposed to bundle them, or otherwise compile them from sources
> along with your project.
>

> You are correct, apparently they changed their stance on this some time
> ago as you can read here:
>
> https://github.com/google/googletest/blob/master/googletest/docs/FAQ.md#why-is-it-not-recommended-to-install-a-pre-compiled-copy-of-google-test-for-example-into-usrlocal
>
> They also no longer support the autotools scripts that are provided with
> the source code as you can read in the README:
>
> https://github.com/google/googletest/blob/master/googletest/README.md#legacy-build-scripts
>
> There are quite some packages depending on them so they can't just be
> last-rited. Maybe the best solution is to leave them in their current
> form (perhaps update the SRC_URI) and not accepting package updates to
> 1.8, instead asking upstream packages that depend on them to include
> them in their source distribution.

I agree with that plan. The release files provided here
https://github.com/google/googletest/releases seem to have different
md5sums from the one that were shipped on googlecode. It is painful to
replace those files on the mirrors. So the best solution is probably to
host the <1.8 release files on a devspace (like mine).

If you want to work on this, maybe you could open bugs / contact the
maintainers of the packages that depend on gtest/gmock. As you say,
this is not really a package a distribution should ship.

Cheers,
Thomas

--
Thomas Kahle
http://dev.gentoo.org/~tomka/
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 2017-04-27 12:58, Dirkjan Ochtman wrote:

> The proxy maintainer for syncthing just resigned, anyone want to pick
> it up?
I'll take it.

--
MS
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 27 Apr 2017 12:58:23 +0200
Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I also want to drop the following:
>
> - dev-lang/erlang

It'd be great if whoever takes over maintainership of erlang could also
take care of dev-util/rebar. Dirkjan is currently proxying it for me,
but I don't use it anymore. (In fact, I'd totally forgotten I'm still
the maintainer; djc has handled the updates for the past few years.
Sorry about that, Dirkjan!)

Regards,
Luis
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 12:58 PM, Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I also want to drop the following:
>
> - dev-lang/erlang
> - dev-vcs/hgsubversion

I'll drop these to maintainer-needed by July 1st.

Cheers,

Dirkjan
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
> app-admin/syslog-ng

Hi, I will try to add this ebuild to my list as proxy maintainer.

G.

On Nov 20, 2017 5:18 PM, "Amy Liffey" <amynka@gentoo.org> wrote:

Hello all,
The following packages are up for grabs:

app-cdr/cdw
app-misc/figlet
app-text/tree
dev-lang/nasm
dev-lang/blassic
dev-lang/clojure
app-admin/syslog-ng
dev-libs/eventlog

Cheers,
Amy Liffey
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Hi, I would like to pick up app-misc/figlet

--
Thank you,
Robert Kowalski.

MadGizmo.com
http://studio.madgizmo.com/ - Studio and portfolio.
http://rgk.madgizmo.com/ - Personal site with my resume.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Hi Thomas,

> I've been interested in getting more involved with Gentoo - would
> package maintenance be a good place to start?

You can fix bugs for many packages, but you should only assign your self
to a package, if you want to take care for bug reports in a long term.
I suggest to make small fixes and pull requests first and get familiar
with repoman + git first.

> I'd be interested in astyle and alock as these are tools I would use
> myself. Do I just start by reading
> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Proxy_Maintainers and try to get
> in touch with the right people?

That is a good start. There are many new informative links.
You can join us on IRC and tell us what you already can do, what your
interests are. We will have lists with things to do in all flavors and
difficulties. You may ping me on IRC, my nick is jstein.

--
Best,
Jonas
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 2018-05-05 04:49, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 10:52:11PM +0200, Patrice Clement wrote:
> > The following packages are up for grabs:
> > net-misc/s3cmd
> I'll take s3cmd, since my dayjob uses it heavily.

I know I’m listed on the metadata, but I’ve never done anything more
than compile it at some point in the past.

You’re welcome to be the sole maintainer.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 07/13/2018 10:37 AM, Naohiro Aota wrote:
> - media-video/v4l2loopback

Definitely have a use for this. Looking into it now.
Re: packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Hello.

I can take dev-lua/* packages.

??, 9 ???. 2020 ?., 22:08 Rafael Goncalves Martins <rafaelmartins@gentoo.org

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 27 May 2020 11:38:39 +0200
Nils Freydank <holgersson@posteo.de> wrote:

> Zoltan, I prepared a branch with khard plus metadata.xml and would
> like to ask you to merge it into your PR as you took deps of khard:
>
> https://github.com/holgersson32644/gentoo/tree/bump-khard

Hi Nils,
I already had a PR[1] open for the version bump and Python 3.7 support.
I’m happy for you to take over if you like; mine is waiting for review.
Just thought you ought to know in case you get merge conflicts later
on, or want to take any bits of my changes.

[1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/15783
--
Christopher Head
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Hi Christopher,

Am Mittwoch, den 27.05.2020 um 09:37:59 Uhr -0700 schrieb Christopher Head <chead@chead.ca>:
> I already had a PR[1] open for the version bump and Python 3.7 support.
> I’m happy for you to take over if you like; mine is waiting for review.
> Just thought you ought to know in case you get merge conflicts later
> on, or want to take any bits of my changes.
>
> [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/15783

sorry for the delay - I really like to take over, and as your PR isn't merged
yet I opened a new one[1] with some further updates (vobject with python 3.9).

Please just close your old PR now.

[1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/15783
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Am 17.01.2021 um 10:26 schrieb Micha? Górny:
> [ v] sys-power/acpi_call

I will take this one.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
mgorny:

> [bv] www-apps/radicale

I am actively using radicale on arm, arm64 and amd64 and thus
feel like I should contribute. :-)

As this was my debut to package maintainment, and I'd need at least
some initial pointers on how to start, what's the least bothering
way for everybody to ask for help and such.

BTW: There is 2.x in portage but 3.x out, so there is not just a
minor version bump to do.

Thanks
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/21 8:43 AM, m1027 wrote:
> mgorny:
>
>> [bv] www-apps/radicale
>
> I am actively using radicale on arm, arm64 and amd64 and thus
> feel like I should contribute. :-)
>
> As this was my debut to package maintainment, and I'd need at least
> some initial pointers on how to start, what's the least bothering
> way for everybody to ask for help and such.
>
> BTW: There is 2.x in portage but 3.x out, so there is not just a
> minor version bump to do.
>
> Thanks

Best way is to come ask for help on #gentoo-dev-help and
#gentoo-proxy-maint on freenode IRC.

Aisha
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
> On 17 Jan 2021, at 09:26, Micha? Górny <mgorny@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> The following packages are in need of a new maintainer due to their
> current maintainer being MIA:
>
> […]
> [ ] app-admin/stow

Adopted the wonderful stow, but I’ll leave xstow for others.

> [Bv] app-admin/xstow

Thanks,
Sam
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 17/01/2021 09:26, Micha? Górny wrote:

> [bv] x11-plugins/vicious
> [B ] x11-wm/awesome

I'll take these two.

--
MS
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2021-01-17 at 10:26 +0100, Micha? Górny wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The following packages are in need of a new maintainer due to their
> current maintainer being MIA:
>
> [b ] www-apache/mod_xsendfile

I think I can safely say that I've waited long enough for someone else
to pick this up. I've now taken this and fixed the minor open bug.

Hans
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
Hi,

I can take

> [Bv] net-misc/teamviewer

//madmartin
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Montag, 15. M?rz 2021 11:03:17 CET Martin Dummer wrote:
> I can take
>
> > [Bv] net-misc/teamviewer

Please make nagging upstream about https://bugs.gentoo.org/750899 a top
priority.

TIA
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
> On 13 Jun 2021, at 10:01, David Seifert <soap@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> The following packages have been dropped to m-n, since johu hasn't
> touched them in over a year and show no signs of maintaining them:
>
> acct-group/quassel
> acct-user/quassel
[...]
> net-irc/quassel

Adopted these.

best,
sam
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On 2021-06-13 10:01, David Seifert wrote:

> dev-vcs/git-flow

I'll take this one.

--
Marecki
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
> dev-cpp/yaml-cpp

I'll take this

--
Best regards,
Alexey "DarthGandalf" Sokolov
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
David Seifert wrote:
> mail-filter/bogofilter

In principle I'm interested in proxy-maintaining this but do not have
cycles immediately.

The current ebuild has little special stuff so probably also works for
the #763024 bump without much change - though I'd like to rework the
rather messy database USE logic..

//Peter
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]

> I'm retiring, please consider picking up these packages:
> [...]
> app-text/rnc2rng

I can take this (presuming that you'll continue maintaining it
upstream).

Ulrich
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 5:40 PM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I'm retiring, please consider picking up these packages:
> > [...]
> > app-text/rnc2rng
>
> I can take this (presuming that you'll continue maintaining it
> upstream).

See https://github.com/djc/rnc2rng/issues/41, maintenance is very passive.

Kind regards,

Dirkjan
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
I want to take *app-text/pelican* and I will write a blog using pelican
recently.

Best regards,
Yu

Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@gentoo.org> ?2022?4?13??? 23:42???

Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
> media-sound/apulse

I'm using this one, can take.
Re: Packages up for grabs [ In reply to ]
[2024-04-03 12:01:24+0200] Micha? Górny:
>The following packages are up for grabs due to the inactivity of their
>maintainers:

>dev-python/pygame_sdl2

Taking this, it's basically part of renpy anyway (both masked due to cython-3 incompatibility).

>app-arch/unrpa

Taking this, third-party tool for renpy archives