Mailing List Archive

New category: media-print/
Hi everyone.
I hope to find all of you well with that mail and I ask to forgive me if it does not scrictly
follows mailing-list’s rules.
As title said, I’d like to propose a new category, in that PR [1], for these packages
that are not related to net-print, for eg: drivers. As pointed out by Sam, I’d have to
ask here before anything else but, saying that, I’ve noted that a discussion for
media-print was already made a year ago [2] and there is a pending bug [3] against it.
I have no problem on using my spare time to work under it, I only ask 2 things:
1. your permission to do that (primarily from printing team and these directly related
to making new categories) and
2. point out which packages should have to be moved to new category/ies(?) for you.

Looking at packages seems there’s not any package strictly related to net (tell me if
You think some of these should remains to it). As said on point 2 also I’d like to ask if
You think there should be more that one new category (for eg print-drv for drivers and
media-print for these things more common-used like cups).

Have a nice day everyone,
Marco Scardovi (scardracs)

[1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/28524
[2] https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/0b23d38f3e76266caee9e4e2d5936c14
[3] https://bugs.gentoo.org/829351

P.S.
pappl will be splitted in a new commit anyway, I placed it as a placeholder to see everything is ok.
P.P.S.
Re: New category: media-print/ [ In reply to ]
Hi Marco,

mscardovi@icloud.com wrote:
> Looking at packages seems there’s not any package strictly related
> to net (tell me if You think some of these should remains to it).
..
> things more common-used like cups).

cups certainly has a network component both as server and as client.

It's one of a few different methods (by far the most common) to
access networked printers so it may not be so misplaced in net-print.

//Peter
Re: New category: media-print/ [ In reply to ]
> Hi Marco,
>
> mscardovi@icloud.com wrote:
>> Looking at packages seems there’s not any package strictly related
>> to net (tell me if You think some of these should remains to it).
> ..
>> things more common-used like cups).
> cups certainly has a network component both as server and as client.
>
> It's one of a few different methods (by far the most common) to
> access networked printers so it may not be so misplaced in net-print.
>

> //Peter

Hi Peter and thanks for your answer. Yes, you are right about cups: it

actually uses net components but it's primarily use is to connect to a

printer, nothing more or less than that, even if it is connected to
internet.

Even if we leave cups inside net-print, other packages like drivers are not

related to net in any way, as they only contains the necessary ppds for

printing. At the beginning of Gentoo that was acceptable because

packages were much less but now We should have to consider to place

them in a better position: that was already discussed, as said, and now

I'd like to finish that transition.

Marco