Needs some real love to tidy it up.

Best,
sam
Re: Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2, dev-python/shiboken2 [ In reply to ]
> On 17 Jul 2022, at 23:11, Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> Up for grabs because of inactivity.
>
> dev-python/pyside2 has several open bugs and a version bump pending.

Sorry, and indeed dev-python/shiboken2 too.

Re: Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:11:08 +0100
Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Up for grabs because of inactivity.
>
> dev-python/pyside2 has several open bugs and a version bump pending.
>
> Needs some real love to tidy it up.
>
> Best,
> sam

Wouldn't it be applicable to put these packages under the umbrella of
the Gentoo Qt project?
They're developed, published and hosted by the The Qt Company (in
contrast for example to PyQt5 or QtPy) and are only python
bindings for the Qt framework, although they're currently distributed
in a separate tarball and not with the Qt tarball.

Resending due to wrong sender being used.

Regards,
Bernd
Re: Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:30:20AM +0000, waebbl-gentoo@posteo.net wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:11:08 +0100
> Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> > Up for grabs because of inactivity.
> >
> > dev-python/pyside2 has several open bugs and a version bump pending.
> >
> > Needs some real love to tidy it up.
> >
> > Best,
> > sam
>
> Wouldn't it be applicable to put these packages under the umbrella of
> the Gentoo Qt project?

It still need someone to maintain it either way, qt@ is rather small
and Qt6 is likely to use up people's time already. Being m-n at least
make its current state clear (up to qt@ though).

> They're developed, published and hosted by the The Qt Company (in
> contrast for example to PyQt5 or QtPy) and are only python
> bindings for the Qt framework, although they're currently distributed
> in a separate tarball and not with the Qt tarball.

On a side-note I'll be adding PyQt6 to the tree once I can[1], but I
don't use pyside for anything and probably won't be looking at pyside6.

[1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26504
--
ionen
Re: Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 29 Jul 2022 07:06:06 -0400
Ionen Wolkens <ionen@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:30:20AM +0000, waebbl-gentoo@posteo.net wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:11:08 +0100
> > Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Up for grabs because of inactivity.
> > >
> > > dev-python/pyside2 has several open bugs and a version bump pending.
> > >
> > > Needs some real love to tidy it up.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > sam
> >
> > Wouldn't it be applicable to put these packages under the umbrella of
> > the Gentoo Qt project?
>
> It still need someone to maintain it either way, qt@ is rather small
> and Qt6 is likely to use up people's time already. Being m-n at least
> make its current state clear (up to qt@ though).

I can think of co-maintaining the packages, but it exceeds my resources
to being primary maintainer.

> > They're developed, published and hosted by the The Qt Company (in
> > contrast for example to PyQt5 or QtPy) and are only python
> > bindings for the Qt framework, although they're currently distributed
> > in a separate tarball and not with the Qt tarball.
>
> On a side-note I'll be adding PyQt6 to the tree once I can[1], but I
> don't use pyside for anything and probably won't be looking at pyside6.

I'm slowly working towards shiboken6 / pyside6. Pyside is needed for
the Qt6 move of FreeCAD, at it's current state at least.
There are discussion on completely moving to pybind11 instead of
pyside, but that's not yet decided. So I will probably need pyside6 for
the sake of FreeCAD.

Re: Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2 [ In reply to ]
On 29/07/2022 13:06, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:30:20AM +0000, waebbl-gentoo@posteo.net wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2022 23:11:08 +0100
>> Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Up for grabs because of inactivity.
>>>
>>> dev-python/pyside2 has several open bugs and a version bump pending.
>>>
>>> Needs some real love to tidy it up.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> sam
>>
>> Wouldn't it be applicable to put these packages under the umbrella of
>> the Gentoo Qt project?
>
> It still need someone to maintain it either way, qt@ is rather small
> and Qt6 is likely to use up people's time already. Being m-n at least
> make its current state clear (up to qt@ though).
>
>> They're developed, published and hosted by the The Qt Company (in
>> contrast for example to PyQt5 or QtPy) and are only python
>> bindings for the Qt framework, although they're currently distributed
>> in a separate tarball and not with the Qt tarball.
>
> On a side-note I'll be adding PyQt6 to the tree once I can[1], but I
> don't use pyside for anything and probably won't be looking at pyside6.
>
> [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26504

I've added myself as the maintainer of shiboken2 and pyside2(-tools). I
also added shiboken6 and pyside6(-tools) (masked for testing).
Unfortunately the latter is stuck on python3_10 only at the moment,
adding python3_11 to this is a whole new can of worms.

Help with these packages is most welcome. They are notoriously difficult
and fragile.

Best regards,
Andrew
Re: Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:28:49 +0200
Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On 29/07/2022 13:06, Ionen Wolkens wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 10:30:20AM +0000, waebbl-gentoo@posteo.net wrote:

> >> Wouldn't it be applicable to put these packages under the umbrella of
> >> the Gentoo Qt project?
> >
> > It still need someone to maintain it either way, qt@ is rather small
> > and Qt6 is likely to use up people's time already. Being m-n at least
> > make its current state clear (up to qt@ though).
> >
> >> They're developed, published and hosted by the The Qt Company (in
> >> contrast for example to PyQt5 or QtPy) and are only python
> >> bindings for the Qt framework, although they're currently distributed
> >> in a separate tarball and not with the Qt tarball.
> >
> > On a side-note I'll be adding PyQt6 to the tree once I can[1], but I
> > don't use pyside for anything and probably won't be looking at pyside6.
> >
> > [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26504
>
> I've added myself as the maintainer of shiboken2 and pyside2(-tools). I
> also added shiboken6 and pyside6(-tools) (masked for testing).
> Unfortunately the latter is stuck on python3_10 only at the moment,
> adding python3_11 to this is a whole new can of worms.
>
> Help with these packages is most welcome. They are notoriously difficult
> and fragile.
>
> Best regards,
> Andrew

Thanks Andrew for taking care of these packages. Like I said, I'd be
happy to comaintain the packages and keep an additional two eyes on
them.

In my draft[1] for pyside6, I've also found the python 3.11
incompatibility and removed it for further investigation. However, what
I noticed, is, that upstream only has compatibility for python3 up to
3.10. Closing my draft, now that the package has been merged into the
tree.

[1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26782

Best, Bernd
Re: Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2 [ In reply to ]
On 13/08/2022 11:10, waebbl-gentoo@posteo.net wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Aug 2022 17:28:49 +0200
> Andrew Ammerlaan <andrewammerlaan@gentoo.org> wrote:

>>> It still need someone to maintain it either way, qt@ is rather small
>>> and Qt6 is likely to use up people's time already. Being m-n at least
>>> make its current state clear (up to qt@ though).

>>> On a side-note I'll be adding PyQt6 to the tree once I can[1], but I
>>> don't use pyside for anything and probably won't be looking at pyside6.
>>>
>>> [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/26504
>>
>> I've added myself as the maintainer of shiboken2 and pyside2(-tools). I
>> also added shiboken6 and pyside6(-tools) (masked for testing).
>> Unfortunately the latter is stuck on python3_10 only at the moment,
>> adding python3_11 to this is a whole new can of worms.
>>
>> Help with these packages is most welcome. They are notoriously difficult
>> and fragile.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Andrew
>>

> Thanks Andrew for taking care of these packages. Like I said, I'd be
> happy to comaintain the packages and keep an additional two eyes on
> them.

Great! Would you like me to add you to the metadata.xml files so you'll
get CC'ed on the bugs?

> In my draft[1] for pyside6, I've also found the python 3.11
> incompatibility and removed it for further investigation. However, what
> I noticed, is, that upstream only has compatibility for python3 up to
> 3.10. Closing my draft, now that the package has been merged into the
> tree.

I completely forgot to check for open PRs before starting to work on
this, sorry about that. I could have saved myself a couple of hours of
work if I had. Thanks for the PR anyway.
The python3_11 incompatibility probably requires some patch for
shiboken6. It should be fixable considering that pyside2 does compile
with python3_11 (after patching). In any case it is not urgent since it
is still masked.

Best regards,
Andrew
Re: Up for grabs: dev-python/pyside2 [ In reply to ]
Am 13.08.2022 11:51 schrieb Andrew Ammerlaan:
> On 13/08/2022 11:10, waebbl-gentoo@posteo.net wrote:
>> Thanks Andrew for taking care of these packages. Like I said, I'd be
>> happy to comaintain the packages and keep an additional two eyes on
>> them.
>
> Great! Would you like me to add you to the metadata.xml files so
> you'll get CC'ed on the bugs?
>
> Best regards,
> Andrew

You're welcome to do so. Don't forget that I'm a proxy-maintainer.

Regards, Bernd