Title: PipeWire versions of PulseEffects are now media-sound/easyeffects
Author: Marek Szuba <marecki@gentoo.org>
Revision: 1
News-Item-Format: 2.0
Display-If-Installed: >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0

EasyEffects we have decided to adopt the new name for versions only
supporting media-video/pipewire while retaining the old one for versions
allowing the use of media-sound/pulseaudio.

media-sound/easyeffects is already available in the tree, and all the
PipeWire-dependent ebuilds of media-sound/pulseeffects will be removed
in 7 days. Therefore, users of >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0 are
asked to emerge media-sound/easyeffects instead.

--
Marecki
Re: News item: media-sound/pulseffects "renaming" [ In reply to ]
On 2021-07-13 01:01, Marek Szuba wrote:

> Title: PipeWire versions of PulseEffects are now media-sound/easyeffects
> Author: Marek Szuba <marecki@gentoo.org>
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 2.0
> Display-If-Installed: >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0

> EasyEffects we have decided to adopt the new name for versions only
> supporting media-video/pipewire while retaining the old one for versions
> allowing the use of media-sound/pulseaudio.
>
> media-sound/easyeffects is already available in the tree, and all the
> PipeWire-dependent ebuilds of media-sound/pulseeffects will be removed
> in 7 days. Therefore, users of >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0 are
> asked to emerge media-sound/easyeffects instead.

Looks like Thunderbird's somehow cocked up the line breaks in the first
paragraph :-/ For the record, _this_ is what the news item looks like
(modulo quote marks of course) in my text file.

--
MS
Re: News item: media-sound/pulseffects "renaming" [ In reply to ]
> On 13 Jul 2021, at 01:08, Marek Szuba <marecki@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
> On 2021-07-13 01:01, Marek Szuba wrote:
>
>> Title: PipeWire versions of PulseEffects are now media-sound/easyeffects
>> Author: Marek Szuba <marecki@gentoo.org>
>> In response to the upstream decision to rename PulseEffects to EasyEffects we have decided to adopt the new name for versions only supporting media-video/pipewire while retaining the old one for versions allowing the use of media-sound/pulseaudio.
>> media-sound/easyeffects is already available in the tree, and all the
>> PipeWire-dependent ebuilds of media-sound/pulseeffects will be removed
>> in 7 days. Therefore, users of >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0 are asked to emerge media-sound/easyeffects instead.
>
> Looks like Thunderbird's somehow cocked up the line breaks in the first paragraph :-/ For the record, _this_ is what the news item looks like (modulo quote marks of course) in my text file.

FWIW, using git send-mail on the gentoo-news repo avoids this ;)

best,
sam
Re: News item: media-sound/pulseffects "renaming" [ In reply to ]
> On 13 Jul 2021, at 01:11, Sam James <sam@gentoo.org> wrote:
>

>> On 13 Jul 2021, at 01:08, Marek Szuba <marecki@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> On 2021-07-13 01:01, Marek Szuba wrote:
>>
>>> Title: PipeWire versions of PulseEffects are now media-sound/easyeffects
>>> Author: Marek Szuba <marecki@gentoo.org>
>>> In response to the upstream decision to rename PulseEffects to EasyEffects we have decided to adopt the new name for versions only supporting media-video/pipewire while retaining the old one for versions allowing the use of media-sound/pulseaudio.
>>> media-sound/easyeffects is already available in the tree, and all the
>>> PipeWire-dependent ebuilds of media-sound/pulseeffects will be removed
>>> in 7 days. Therefore, users of >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0 are asked to emerge media-sound/easyeffects instead.
>>
>> Looks like Thunderbird's somehow cocked up the line breaks in the first paragraph :-/ For the record, _this_ is what the news item looks like (modulo quote marks of course) in my text file.
>>

> FWIW, using git send-mail on the gentoo-news repo avoids this ;)

s/mail/email/
Re: News item: media-sound/pulseffects "renaming" [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2021-07-13 at 01:01 +0100, Marek Szuba wrote:
> Officially the new name has only been in effect since version 6.0.0 but
> having discussed this with prometheanfire on IRC, it makes sense to
> extend the new name to >=5.0.0 - that way people not interested in
> switching from plain PulseAudio to PipeWire can continue to use v4
> (which according to upstream is now in maintenance mode, i.e. hasn't
> been EOLed yet) without having to mask v5 ebuilds.
>
> It 7 days feels like a reasonable time to wait before dropping
> media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.4 from the tree because this news item will
> continue to display for affected users even after the ebuild is gone,
> won't it.
>

> * * *
>

> Title: PipeWire versions of PulseEffects are now media-sound/easyeffects

<ulm mode>The title is too long (50 chars max AFAIR)</ulm mode>

> Author: Marek Szuba <marecki@gentoo.org>
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 2.0
> Display-If-Installed: >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0

Why not display it to users of all versions?

> EasyEffects we have decided to adopt the new name for versions only
> supporting media-video/pipewire while retaining the old one for versions
> allowing the use of media-sound/pulseaudio.
>
> media-sound/easyeffects is already available in the tree, and all the
> PipeWire-dependent ebuilds of media-sound/pulseeffects will be removed
> in 7 days. Therefore, users of >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0 are
> asked to emerge media-sound/easyeffects instead.

I like short but here it seems that you're skipping some essential
details and having users guess.

Maybe start by explaining the current state (I guess something like
'pulseeffects versions X use pulseaudio, while versions Y switched to
pipewire'?). Then tell people that upstream has decided to rename
the project to avoid ambiguity (?). Then make it clear that we are
going to split the packages in Gentoo, and one will support PA
and the other PW. Finally, tell explicitly what PA and PW users should
do, and provide an example emerge snippet (do they need to deselect
pulseeffects?).

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny
Re: News item: media-sound/pulseffects "renaming" [ In reply to ]

> Title: PipeWire versions of PulseEffects are now media-sound/easyeffects

Too long.

https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0042.html#news-item-headers
"Title: A short (maximum 50 characters) descriptive title."

> Author: Marek Szuba <marecki@gentoo.org>
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 2.0
> Display-If-Installed: >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0

> EasyEffects we have decided to adopt the new name for versions only
> supporting media-video/pipewire while retaining the old one for
> versions allowing the use of media-sound/pulseaudio.

I find this sentence hard to understand. Maybe it could be split up?

Also, it might be helpful to explicitly say what are the old and new
versions (>=6.0.0 or >=5.0.0?), especially when the dividing line is
different from upstream's.

> media-sound/easyeffects is already available in the tree, and all the
> PipeWire-dependent ebuilds of media-sound/pulseeffects will be removed
> in 7 days. Therefore, users of >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0 are
> asked to emerge media-sound/easyeffects instead.

Ulrich
Re: News item: media-sound/pulseffects "renaming" [ In reply to ]

>> Title: PipeWire versions of PulseEffects are now media-sound/easyeffects

> <ulm mode>The title is too long (50 chars max AFAIR)</ulm mode>

Heh. :)

But yes, I say this every time, but either people don't read others'
news item reviews, or they forget them very quickly.

Ulrich
Re: News item: media-sound/pulseffects "renaming" [ In reply to ]
On 2021-07-13 07:20, Micha? Górny wrote:

>> Title: PipeWire versions of PulseEffects are now media-sound/easyeffects
>
> <ulm mode>The title is too long (50 chars max AFAIR)</ulm mode>

Argh, and after all my attempts to keep this as short as possible while
keeping this meaningful :-) Will think of something even shorter.

>> Display-If-Installed: >=media-sound/pulseeffects-5.0.0
>
> Why not display it to users of all versions?

Only people using 5.0.0+ will have to take any action on this so it
feels like displaying it for all versions would needlessly bother users
who are happy with PulseAudio.

> I like short but here it seems that you're skipping some essential
> details and having users guess.
> Maybe start by explaining the current state
[...]
Makes sense, thanks! I'll revise this along the lines of your suggestions.

> Finally, tell explicitly what PA and PW users should
> do, and provide an example emerge snippet (do they need to deselect
> pulseeffects?).

Right, they do need to deselect pulseeffects given it will almost
certainly be in the world file, won't they.

--
Marecki