on purpose, for consistency with how other variables are handled there
as well as in order to avoid wasting CPU cycles on an EAPI version
check for something that ultimately achieves the same.
Re: Lua eclasses: support EAPI 8 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 10:34:18AM +0100, Marek Szuba wrote:
> Nothing special here. RESTRICT manipulation in lua-utils still uses +=
> on purpose, for consistency with how other variables are handled there
> as well as in order to avoid wasting CPU cycles on an EAPI version
> check for something that ultimately achieves the same.

I was on vacation for a number of days so didn't have a chance to check
on this.

Is portage stable already supporting eapi 8? if so when did that happen?
If not we can't support it in eclasses yet.

Thanks,

William
Re: Lua eclasses: support EAPI 8 [ In reply to ]

> Is portage stable already supporting eapi 8? if so when did that
> happen?

portage-3.0.20 was the first version supporting EAPI 8, and 3.0.20-r6
is currently being stabilised. [1]

> If not we can't support it in eclasses yet.

I don't think that we ever had such a restriction. How would we test
support for a new EAPI in Portage, if we wouldn't allow ebuilds and
eclasses using it?

Ulrich

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/796503
Re: Lua eclasses: support EAPI 8 [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 2:55 PM William Hubbs <williamh@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2021 at 10:34:18AM +0100, Marek Szuba wrote:
> > Nothing special here. RESTRICT manipulation in lua-utils still uses +=
> > on purpose, for consistency with how other variables are handled there
> > as well as in order to avoid wasting CPU cycles on an EAPI version
> > check for something that ultimately achieves the same.
>
> I was on vacation for a number of days so didn't have a chance to check
> on this.
>
> Is portage stable already supporting eapi 8? if so when did that happen?
> If not we can't support it in eclasses yet.

That's not true at all. You can't stabilize ebuilds with EAPI=8, but
there is no reason to hold off on merging eclass changes.