Mailing List Archive

Two weeks left to port your packages to Python 3.8
Hi,

I would like to remind you that following our timeline [1], all packages
that haven't been ported to Python 3.8 will be last rited on 2021-05-01.
The rather short list can be found at [2]. I've also pinged most of
the maintainers on IRC already but I don't think anyone ponged back.

Please remember that we've switched to Python 3.8 in December 2020, so
these packages are not installable in the default setup for a few months
now.

Also note that since there were no objections raised, we're going to
switch the default to Python 3.9 around 2021-06-01. Py3.9 list [3]
needs some attention but then, my experience shows that we're already
past that point in the curve where further delay will make very little
difference.

Note that this is deliberately synced, so that change in PYTHON_TARGETS
will happen at the same time as removing python3_7 from them, so people
get only one rebuild for both changes. The python3.7 interpreter will
stay for as long as feasible to maintain it, for the people that still
need it.

I'm planning to publish a complete news item this time. I will send
a draft soonish.

This finally finishes the few year long effort on catching up with
CPython upstream and ending being 2-3 major releases behind.

Python 3.10 betas are around the corner too, so we will start adding
the next target soon.

[1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Python/Implementations#Implementation_support_timeline
[2] https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/37-to-38.txt
[3] https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gpyutils/38-to-39.txt