am happy with this bug being split into several if that makes the tests
easier to manage for those who will run them, just keep in mind that the
stabilisation commits for an arch should be pushed to the repo over as
short a time span as possible - the more spread this is the more annoyed
our users might get by the dependency conflicts between slotted and
unslotted and dev-lang/lua.

--
Marecki
Re: Stabilisation of the slotted-Lua ecosystem [ In reply to ]
On 22/01/2021 14:38, Marek Szuba wrote:

> The time has come for the final big push towards widespread deployment
> on slotted Lua - this monstrosity: https://bugs.gentoo.org/766528 . Many
> thanks in advance to all the arch testers who will deal with this. Nb. I
> am happy with this bug being split into several if that makes the tests
> easier to manage for those who will run them, just keep in mind that the
> stabilisation commits for an arch should be pushed to the repo over as
> short a time span as possible - the more spread this is the more annoyed
> our users might get by the dependency conflicts between slotted and
> unslotted and dev-lang/lua.

Somewhat belatedly, I am happy to say that the aforementioned
monstrosity has been taken care of much faster than I thought it would
be and since the 15th of February ALL the (unmasked) packages in the
tree which previously depended directly on dev-lang/lua have had at
least one stable ebuild migrated to Lua eclasses. Package maintainers,
if you haven't done so yet (quite a few people already have) go ahead
and remove old versions so that we can finally bid farewell to
dev-lang/lua:0.

And to think that this all has happened simply because I wanted to
finally enable Lua support in media-gfx/darktable :-)

Thank you SO much, everyone who has taken part in the effort of making
Lua in Gentoo great again (sorry, couldn't help myself)! We had this on
the agenda for way too long, and in my personal opinion the fact that we
are now one of the few Linux (Unix?) distributions which allows the
users to freely mix and match Lua versions is an important statement.

--
Marecki