Mailing List Archive

[RFC] Dealing with global /usr/bin/libtool use vs CC/CXX etc.
Hi,

The vast majority of libtool-based programs use configure script to
generate libtool. However, a few non-autoconf packages also use libtool
by calling system-installed /usr/bin/libtool. The problem is that this
libtool hardcodes the values of CC/CXX at its' build time, so unless it
is rebuilt frequently, packages end up using the stale values.
The problem is known since 2005 [1] and hasn't been resolved yet.

I can think of two ways of solving it:

1. We could patch system-installed libtool to respect environment
variables such as CC, CXX, etc. This will probably require carrying
a (possibly non-trivial) patch forever. On the bright side, libtool is
not exactly a package seeing frequent releases. I mean, the current
version is from 2015.

2. We could regenerate libtool and force local instance of libtool
in the packages needing it. The main advantage of this is that it's
a no-brainer. I could make a quick eclass that does configure a local
instance and prepends it into PATH.

WDYT?

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/88596

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny
Re: [RFC] Dealing with global /usr/bin/libtool use vs CC/CXX etc. [ In reply to ]
On 10-01-2021 14:34:13 +0100, Micha? Górny wrote:
> The vast majority of libtool-based programs use configure script to
> generate libtool. However, a few non-autoconf packages also use libtool
> by calling system-installed /usr/bin/libtool. The problem is that this
> libtool hardcodes the values of CC/CXX at its' build time, so unless it
> is rebuilt frequently, packages end up using the stale values.
> The problem is known since 2005 [1] and hasn't been resolved yet.
>
> I can think of two ways of solving it:
>
> 1. We could patch system-installed libtool to respect environment
> variables such as CC, CXX, etc. This will probably require carrying
> a (possibly non-trivial) patch forever. On the bright side, libtool is
> not exactly a package seeing frequent releases. I mean, the current
> version is from 2015.
>
> 2. We could regenerate libtool and force local instance of libtool
> in the packages needing it. The main advantage of this is that it's
> a no-brainer. I could make a quick eclass that does configure a local
> instance and prepends it into PATH.
>
> WDYT?

I would prefer option 2, also because on some systems usr/bin/libtool is
some entirely different tool than GNU libtool.

I remember this being much more of a problem ~15 years ago, so I wonder
do we have an easy way of crafting a list of affected packages, such
that we can see how big the problem actually is nowadays? I'm thinking
perhaps tinderbox logs or something can reveal /usr/bin/libtool usage
somehow.

Thanks,
Fabian

> [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/88596

--
Fabian Groffen
Gentoo on a different level
Re: [RFC] Dealing with global /usr/bin/libtool use vs CC/CXX etc. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 14:54 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
> On 10-01-2021 14:34:13 +0100, Micha? Górny wrote:
> > The vast majority of libtool-based programs use configure script to
> > generate libtool. However, a few non-autoconf packages also use libtool
> > by calling system-installed /usr/bin/libtool. The problem is that this
> > libtool hardcodes the values of CC/CXX at its' build time, so unless it
> > is rebuilt frequently, packages end up using the stale values.
> > The problem is known since 2005 [1] and hasn't been resolved yet.
> >
> > I can think of two ways of solving it:
> >
> > 1. We could patch system-installed libtool to respect environment
> > variables such as CC, CXX, etc. This will probably require carrying
> > a (possibly non-trivial) patch forever. On the bright side, libtool is
> > not exactly a package seeing frequent releases. I mean, the current
> > version is from 2015.
> >
> > 2. We could regenerate libtool and force local instance of libtool
> > in the packages needing it. The main advantage of this is that it's
> > a no-brainer. I could make a quick eclass that does configure a local
> > instance and prepends it into PATH.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> I would prefer option 2, also because on some systems usr/bin/libtool is
> some entirely different tool than GNU libtool.
>
> I remember this being much more of a problem ~15 years ago, so I wonder
> do we have an easy way of crafting a list of affected packages, such
> that we can see how big the problem actually is nowadays? I'm thinking
> perhaps tinderbox logs or something can reveal /usr/bin/libtool usage
> somehow.

I think it might be possible to do something akin USE=-native-symlinks
that makes libtool not install /usr/bin/libtool, and see what breaks.
However, I'm not sure if this executable isn't required for some obscure
reason anyway.

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny
Re: [RFC] Dealing with global /usr/bin/libtool use vs CC/CXX etc. [ In reply to ]
On 1/10/2021 09:47, Micha? Górny wrote:
> On Sun, 2021-01-10 at 14:54 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
>> On 10-01-2021 14:34:13 +0100, Micha? Górny wrote:
>>> The vast majority of libtool-based programs use configure script to
>>> generate libtool. However, a few non-autoconf packages also use libtool
>>> by calling system-installed /usr/bin/libtool. The problem is that this
>>> libtool hardcodes the values of CC/CXX at its' build time, so unless it
>>> is rebuilt frequently, packages end up using the stale values.
>>> The problem is known since 2005 [1] and hasn't been resolved yet.
>>>
>>> I can think of two ways of solving it:
>>>
>>> 1. We could patch system-installed libtool to respect environment
>>> variables such as CC, CXX, etc. This will probably require carrying
>>> a (possibly non-trivial) patch forever. On the bright side, libtool is
>>> not exactly a package seeing frequent releases. I mean, the current
>>> version is from 2015.
>>>
>>> 2. We could regenerate libtool and force local instance of libtool
>>> in the packages needing it. The main advantage of this is that it's
>>> a no-brainer. I could make a quick eclass that does configure a local
>>> instance and prepends it into PATH.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> I would prefer option 2, also because on some systems usr/bin/libtool is
>> some entirely different tool than GNU libtool.
>>
>> I remember this being much more of a problem ~15 years ago, so I wonder
>> do we have an easy way of crafting a list of affected packages, such
>> that we can see how big the problem actually is nowadays? I'm thinking
>> perhaps tinderbox logs or something can reveal /usr/bin/libtool usage
>> somehow.
>
> I think it might be possible to do something akin USE=-native-symlinks
> that makes libtool not install /usr/bin/libtool, and see what breaks.
> However, I'm not sure if this executable isn't required for some obscure
> reason anyway.

Second option seems better, and basically just enforces what's been a
standard habit anyways (I at least try to manually rebuild libtool when
changing gcc major versions, but not so much for minor versions).

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic
Re: [RFC] Dealing with global /usr/bin/libtool use vs CC/CXX etc. [ In reply to ]
Hi Micha?,

On 2021/01/10 15:34, Micha? Górny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The vast majority of libtool-based programs use configure script to
> generate libtool. However, a few non-autoconf packages also use libtool
> by calling system-installed /usr/bin/libtool. The problem is that this
> libtool hardcodes the values of CC/CXX at its' build time, so unless it
> is rebuilt frequently, packages end up using the stale values.
> The problem is known since 2005 [1] and hasn't been resolved yet.
>
> I can think of two ways of solving it:
>
> 1. We could patch system-installed libtool to respect environment
> variables such as CC, CXX, etc. This will probably require carrying
> a (possibly non-trivial) patch forever. On the bright side, libtool is
> not exactly a package seeing frequent releases. I mean, the current
> version is from 2015.
>
> 2. We could regenerate libtool and force local instance of libtool
> in the packages needing it. The main advantage of this is that it's
> a no-brainer. I could make a quick eclass that does configure a local
> instance and prepends it into PATH.
>
> WDYT?

3.  Have it always use some fixed compiler somewhere (ie, compile it
with CC=/usr/bin/cc-libtool-wrapper CXX=/usr/bin/cxx-libtool-wrapper
which quite literally is just scripts that does):

exec "${CC}" "$@"

and

exec "${CXX}" "$@"

(with some added logic that if those variables points to itself it needs
to do a bit of extra work, or use "${LIBTOOL_CC:-${CC}}" style and
compile libtool with LIBTOOL_CC=${CC} CC=/usr/bin/cc-libtool-wrapper ...
I'd still add logic to detect the infinite recursion of CC=$0 though ...).

Would be happy to supply a suitable script if you're interested that you
can then just symlink the variants to
(libtool-tool-wrapper-{cc,cxx,ld,ar,...})

Kind Regards,
Jaco
Re: [RFC] Dealing with global /usr/bin/libtool use vs CC/CXX etc. [ In reply to ]
Jaco Kroon wrote:
> > I can think of two ways of solving it:
> >
> > 1. We could patch system-installed libtool to respect environment
> >
> > 2. We could regenerate libtool and force local instance of libtool
> > in the packages needing it.
>
> 3.  Have it always use some fixed compiler somewhere (ie, compile it

4. Make gcc-config regenerate libtool, otherwise as 2.

//Peter
Re: [RFC] Dealing with global /usr/bin/libtool use vs CC/CXX etc. [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 11 Jan 2021 18:36:31 +0000 Peter Stuge wrote:

>Jaco Kroon wrote:
>> > I can think of two ways of solving it:
>> >
>> > 1. We could patch system-installed libtool to respect environment
>> >
>> > 2. We could regenerate libtool and force local instance of libtool
>> > in the packages needing it.
>>
>> 3.  Have it always use some fixed compiler somewhere (ie, compile it
>>

>4. Make gcc-config regenerate libtool, otherwise as 2.
>

>//Peter

5.) Try to replace GNU libtool with sys-devel/slibtool

slibtool is aimed to be a drop-in replacement although at the current
state it still has a couple of hiccups. I've created a tracker bug at
[1] to track all issues arising from using slibtool instead of GNU
libtool.

Cheers
Lars

[1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/765709