I send this email to ask for your help on selecting the project
maintainer for a new ebuild.

I created a pull request for the ebuild in subject[1] and the QA reports
complaints about missing project maintainer[2]. What should I do?

Thanks

[1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/16399

[2]
https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gentoo-ci/2e4d12bbfa/output.html#dev-python/rstcheck
Re: dev-python/rstcheck-3.3.1: Add rstcheck python package (#16399) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 23:11:29 +0100
Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I send this email to ask for your help on selecting the project
> maintainer for a new ebuild.
>
> I created a pull request for the ebuild in subject[1] and the QA
> reports complaints about missing project maintainer[2]. What should I
> do?
>
> Thanks
>
> [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/16399
>
> [2]
> https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gentoo-ci/2e4d12bbfa/output.html#dev-python/rstcheck

You add yourself as primary maintainer. The proxy maintainers will add
themselves for the merge to the repo after all review is done. This
will mean that you will need to maintain the pkg, do the version bumps,
etc.. The proxy team will help merge the changes to the ebuild tree.
Re: dev-python/rstcheck-3.3.1: Add rstcheck python package (#16399) [ In reply to ]
Hi Brian

On 6/25/20 11:18 PM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
> You add yourself as primary maintainer. The proxy maintainers will add
> themselves for the merge to the repo after all review is done. This
> will mean that you will need to maintain the pkg, do the version bumps,
> etc.. The proxy team will help merge the changes to the ebuild tree.

That means that I can submit the ebuild metadata without maintainer?

Thanks
Re: dev-python/rstcheck-3.3.1: Add rstcheck python package (#16399) [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 23:23:29 +0100
Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Brian
>
> On 6/25/20 11:18 PM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
> > You add yourself as primary maintainer. The proxy maintainers will
> > add themselves for the merge to the repo after all review is done.
> > This will mean that you will need to maintain the pkg, do the
> > version bumps, etc.. The proxy team will help merge the changes to
> > the ebuild tree.
>
> That means that I can submit the ebuild metadata without maintainer?
>
> Thanks

yes, you do not need to add a Gentoo maintainer unless asked to.
Re: dev-python/rstcheck-3.3.1: Add rstcheck python package (#16399) [ In reply to ]
On 6/26/20 1:18 AM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Jun 2020 23:11:29 +0100
> Samuel Bernardo <samuelbernardo.mail@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I send this email to ask for your help on selecting the project
>> maintainer for a new ebuild.
>>
>> I created a pull request for the ebuild in subject[1] and the QA
>> reports complaints about missing project maintainer[2]. What should I
>> do?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> [1] https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/16399
>>
>> [2]
>> https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gentoo-ci/2e4d12bbfa/output.html#dev-python/rstcheck
>>

> You add yourself as primary maintainer. The proxy maintainers will add
> themselves for the merge to the repo after all review is done. This
> will mean that you will need to maintain the pkg, do the version bumps,
> etc.. The proxy team will help merge the changes to the ebuild tree.

This results in a CI error, and personally I often just skip PRs that
have CI errors. So you can imagine this is not the best suggestion ;)

Currently proxy-maint team isn't merging new packages to ::gentoo tree,
because self-maintained packages already take too much work. We are
currently ~14 days behind on those. Please read more here,
https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-proxy-maint/message/44f7712fb49850288cd840c3541f6d7e

So the only choice for now is to use ::guru overlay,
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:GURU

Also can I ask you to stop posting to this mailing list about every
minor obstacle you come ahead? There are multiple more suitable support
channels available (forums, IRC, -user ML), these topics have nothing to
do with Gentoo development.

-- juippis
Re: dev-python/rstcheck-3.3.1: Add rstcheck python package (#16399) [ In reply to ]
On 6/25/20 11:28 PM, Brian Dolbec wrote:
> yes, you do not need to add a Gentoo maintainer unless asked to.

Even without maintainer Gentoo CI fails the check for maintainer[1].

Maybe this could be not expected, and so I give you this feedback for
Gentoo infrastructure review.

[1]
https://qa-reports.gentoo.org/output/gentoo-ci/2ce9c57f0d/output.html#dev-python/rstcheck

--