Mailing List Archive

Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs]
All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.

All packages have been reassigned to maintainer-needed. Bugs will be
reassigned soon.

Here are a list of the packages that are now up for grabs:

dev-cpp/pngpp
media-gfx/album
media-gfx/apng2gif
media-gfx/apngasm
media-gfx/apngdis
media-gfx/apngopt
media-gfx/autopano-sift-C
media-gfx/blender
media-gfx/cellwriter
media-gfx/chafa
media-gfx/cptutils
media-gfx/darktable
media-gfx/dcraw
media-gfx/duhdraw
media-gfx/enblend
media-gfx/exact-image
media-gfx/exif
media-gfx/exiv2
media-gfx/feh
media-gfx/fim
media-gfx/fontypython
media-gfx/fr0st
media-gfx/gif2apng
media-gfx/gif2png
media-gfx/gifsicle
media-gfx/gimageview
media-gfx/gmic
media-gfx/gnofract4d
media-gfx/gphoto2
media-gfx/gphotofs
media-gfx/gpicview
media-gfx/gqview
media-gfx/graphicsmagick
media-gfx/grub-splashes
media-gfx/gtkam
media-gfx/gtkimageview
media-gfx/hugin
media-gfx/icon-slicer
media-gfx/igal
media-gfx/imagemagick
media-gfx/jhead
media-gfx/jigl
media-gfx/jpeg2ps
media-gfx/jpeginfo
media-gfx/jpegoptim
media-gfx/jpegpixi
media-gfx/jpegtoavi
media-gfx/libimagequant
media-gfx/llgal
media-gfx/luminance-hdr
media-gfx/mandelbulber
media-gfx/mcomix
media-gfx/metapixel
media-gfx/mscgen
media-gfx/nvidia-cg-toolkit
media-gfx/openclipart
media-gfx/panini
media-gfx/pdf2svg
media-gfx/png2ico
media-gfx/pngcheck
media-gfx/pngcrush
media-gfx/pngquant
media-gfx/pngrewrite
media-gfx/pngtools
media-gfx/potrace
media-gfx/povtree
media-gfx/pqiv
media-gfx/pqstego
media-gfx/qiv
media-gfx/qvv
media-gfx/raw-thumbnailer
media-gfx/rawtherapee
media-gfx/rotoscope
media-gfx/scantailor-advanced
media-gfx/scour
media-gfx/scrot
media-gfx/sfftobmp
media-gfx/shotwell
media-gfx/sxiv
media-gfx/tintii
media-gfx/tuxpaint-stamps
media-gfx/tuxpaint
media-gfx/ufraw
media-gfx/uniconvertor
media-gfx/wings
media-gfx/wkhtmltopdf
media-gfx/xli
media-gfx/xloadimage
media-gfx/xsane
media-gfx/xzgv
media-libs/cimg
media-libs/esdl
media-libs/exiftool
media-libs/flickcurl
media-libs/gd
media-libs/giblib
media-libs/giflib
media-libs/icclib
media-libs/imlib
media-libs/jbig2dec
media-libs/jbigkit
media-libs/jpeg
media-libs/lasi
media-libs/lensfun
media-libs/libexif-gtk
media-libs/libexif
media-libs/libfpx
media-libs/libgphoto2
media-libs/libharu
media-libs/libheif
media-libs/libicns
media-libs/libjpeg-turbo
media-libs/libmng
media-libs/libpano13
media-libs/libpgf
media-libs/libpqstego
media-libs/libraw
media-libs/libwebp
media-libs/netpbm
media-libs/opencolorio
media-libs/openimageio
media-libs/openjpeg
media-libs/pnglite
media-libs/stimg
media-libs/tiff
media-libs/urt
sci-visualization/grace
virtual/imagemagick-tools
virtual/jpeg-compat
virtual/jpeg
x11-libs/gdk-pixbuf-loader-webp
x11-misc/gromit
x11-misc/shutter

Aaron
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
El sáb, 06-06-2020 a las 14:50 -0400, Aaron Bauman escribió:
> All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.
>
> All packages have been reassigned to maintainer-needed. Bugs will be
> reassigned soon.
>
> Here are a list of the packages that are now up for grabs:

[...]

I have seen that many of them already have maintainers or co-maintainers, maybe
listing only those that are going to maintainer-needed would be more useful to
catch packages needing attention

Thanks
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 08:55:38PM +0200, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> El sáb, 06-06-2020 a las 14:50 -0400, Aaron Bauman escribió:
> > All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.
> >
> > All packages have been reassigned to maintainer-needed. Bugs will be
> > reassigned soon.
> >
> > Here are a list of the packages that are now up for grabs:
> >
> [...]
>
> I have seen that many of them already have maintainers or co-maintainers, maybe
> listing only those that are going to maintainer-needed would be more useful to
> catch packages needing attention
>
> Thanks

Pacho, thanks. I did not remove those packages from the email, but the
metadata still reflects properly. A cursory look at the packages with
more than 1 maintainer seems rather small.

Aaron
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 02:50:31PM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
> All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.
>
> All packages have been reassigned to maintainer-needed. Bugs will be
> reassigned soon.
>
> Here are a list of the packages that are now up for grabs:
>
> dev-cpp/pngpp

To expound on this, the graphics project has a quite a few bugs assigned
to them (169). A few packages have co-maintainers, but these are still
reflected in the metadata as required.

If anyone else has time to address the bugs or wants to take the package
over please do.

If you hit a package with a co-maintainer then my apologies.

Aaron
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On 6/6/20 2:50 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
> All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.

Is it weird to ask what happened?

It seems like a lot of the packages listed here should be and are
very popular :O

Aisha

Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
OK so if you really want to go through with this then I'll take these.

> media-gfx/album
> media-gfx/enblend
> media-gfx/exiv2
> media-gfx/gphoto2
> media-gfx/hugin
> media-gfx/imagemagick
> media-gfx/jpeg2ps
> media-gfx/jhead
> media-gfx/luminance-hdr
> media-gfx/pngquant
> media-libs/lensfun
> media-libs/libgphoto2

That said, I think the basic action is in this case pretty unproductive. We
now have a large number of central libraries maintainer-needed (libpng, jpeg,
tiff, ...) which would really merit a team...

--
Andreas K. H?ttel
dilfridge@gentoo.org
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 7:05 PM Andreas K. Hüttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org> wrote:
> That said, I think the basic action is in this case pretty unproductive. We
> now have a large number of central libraries maintainer-needed (libpng, jpeg,
> tiff, ...) which would really merit a team...

Seems like one or two devs have been bumping the packages you listed
for the last couple of years, and neither of them are actually members
of the graphics project.

I don't see the value in a project where none of the members actually
maintain their packages.
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On 6/6/20 10:11 PM, Aisha Tammy wrote:
> On 6/6/20 2:50 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
>> All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.
>>
> Is it weird to ask what happened?
>
> It seems like a lot of the packages listed here should be and are
> very popular :O
>
> Aisha

Hi,

floppym's response sums it up.

https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/c0b5e5e1ab4e0ed77725d4366a5232be

jstein started a new thread about this subject,

https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/f9fae5f9583e73e6d4dbf4fc521dd559

-- juippis
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
El sáb, 06-06-2020 a las 15:09 -0400, Aaron Bauman escribió:
> On Sat, Jun 06, 2020 at 02:50:31PM -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
> > All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.
> >
> > All packages have been reassigned to maintainer-needed. Bugs will be
> > reassigned soon.
> >
> > Here are a list of the packages that are now up for grabs:
> >
> > dev-cpp/pngpp
>
> To expound on this, the graphics project has a quite a few bugs assigned
> to them (169). A few packages have co-maintainers, but these are still
> reflected in the metadata as required.
>
> If anyone else has time to address the bugs or wants to take the package
> over please do.
>
> If you hit a package with a co-maintainer then my apologies.

I think this is the list of completely unmaintained packages now (indeed most of
them, around 100) :)

dev-cpp/pngpp
media-gfx/apng2gif
media-gfx/apngasm
media-gfx/apngdis
media-gfx/apngopt
media-gfx/autopano-sift-C
media-gfx/cellwriter
media-gfx/chafa
media-gfx/cptutils
media-gfx/darktable
media-gfx/dcraw
media-gfx/duhdraw
media-gfx/enblend
media-gfx/exact-image
media-gfx/exif
media-gfx/fim
media-gfx/fr0st
media-gfx/gif2apng
media-gfx/gif2png
media-gfx/gifsicle
media-gfx/gimageview
media-gfx/gmic
media-gfx/gnofract4d
media-gfx/graphicsmagick
media-gfx/grub-splashes
media-gfx/gtkimageview
media-gfx/hugin
media-gfx/icon-slicer
media-gfx/igal
media-gfx/imagemagick
media-gfx/jhead
media-gfx/jigl
media-gfx/jpeginfo
media-gfx/jpegoptim
media-gfx/jpegpixi
media-gfx/libimagequant
media-gfx/luminance-hdr
media-gfx/mandelbulber
media-gfx/metapixel
media-gfx/mscgen
media-gfx/nvidia-cg-toolkit
media-gfx/openclipart
media-gfx/panini
media-gfx/pdf2svg
media-gfx/png2ico
media-gfx/pngcheck
media-gfx/pngcrush
media-gfx/pngquant
media-gfx/pngrewrite
media-gfx/povtree
media-gfx/pqiv
media-gfx/pqstego
media-gfx/qiv
media-gfx/qvv
media-gfx/raw-thumbnailer
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
??, 7 ???. 2020 ?. ? 09:10, Pacho Ramos <pacho@gentoo.org>:

> I think this is the list of completely unmaintained packages now (indeed most of
> them, around 100) :)
>
> x11-misc/shutter

I'm updating this one right now
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On 6/7/20 2:28 AM, Joonas Niilola wrote:

> On 6/6/20 10:11 PM, Aisha Tammy wrote:
>> On 6/6/20 2:50 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
>>> All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.
>>>
>> Is it weird to ask what happened?
>>
>> It seems like a lot of the packages listed here should be and are
>> very popular :O
>>
>> Aisha
>>
> Hi,
>
> floppym's response sums it up.
>
> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/c0b5e5e1ab4e0ed77725d4366a5232be
>
> jstein started a new thread about this subject,
>
> https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/f9fae5f9583e73e6d4dbf4fc521dd559

Indeed, thanks a lot.
I should have anticipated that there would be further discussion on this, before
prematurely asking simple question >.<
Nonetheless, an interesting situation. I never knew too much about projects.

Aisha

Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
200607 Pacho Ramos wrote:
> I think this is the list of completely unmaintained packages now,
> indeed most of them, around 100.

-- extract from list --

> media-gfx/imagemagick : 200516
> media-libs/giflib : 200312
> media-libs/libjpeg-turbo : 200328
> media-libs/openjpeg : 200328
> virtual/jpeg : 200606

There have been upgrades of all these in recent months :
dates when I upgraded on my desktop system are added (the last yesterday).
Surely, that means someone is maintaining them.
Perhaps the culprits could own up (smile).

As a long-time user, I find it disturbing
that a huge list of packages should suddenly be declared unmaintained,
esp as some of them -- eg above -- are likely needed by most users.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatcadotinterdotnet
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]

Basically all of these get done by us in security@ because they tend to have vulnerabilities and they are core packages.

> Surely, that means someone is maintaining them.
> Perhaps the culprits could own up (smile).

Maybe. If nobody else does, I will, but it’s easier if someone with +w does for now.

> As a long-time user, I find it disturbing
> that a huge list of packages should suddenly be declared unmaintained,
> esp as some of them -- eg above -- are likely needed by most users.

They’re declared to not have a named maintainer — I promise you, they are not going anywhere,
even though this appears concerning. With graphics@, it was an “open secret” that they were
unmaintained, now it’s clear that anyone is welcome to help.

I hope this helps reassure you a bit — the gist is, they’re not going anywhere, and
nobody would let these packages leave the tree.

This is essentially just making the formalities reflect reality — to be clear we’re welcome
to touch these packages and help.

Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 7:22 PM Philip Webb <purslow@ca.inter.net> wrote:

> 200607 Pacho Ramos wrote:
> > I think this is the list of completely unmaintained packages now,
> > indeed most of them, around 100.
>
> -- extract from list --
>
> > media-gfx/imagemagick : 200516
> > media-libs/giflib : 200312
> > media-libs/libjpeg-turbo : 200328
> > media-libs/openjpeg : 200328
> > virtual/jpeg : 200606
>
> There have been upgrades of all these in recent months :
> dates when I upgraded on my desktop system are added (the last yesterday).
> Surely, that means someone is maintaining them.
> Perhaps the culprits could own up (smile).
>
> As a long-time user, I find it disturbing
> that a huge list of packages should suddenly be declared unmaintained,
> esp as some of them -- eg above -- are likely needed by most users.

They were not maintained by identified developers before - that is the
point. The only thing that is changing is that metadata is being
updated to reflect reality. Now these packages will get more notice
and developers can set up and maintain them as needed.

The packages aren't being removed - just the project.

If any of the packages assigned to the graphics projects already had
individual maintainers then those would still remain after the project
is removed.

Put it this way - suppose we created a project called "dummy" with no
developers in it, and we assigned that project to all the packages
that are maintaner-needed. Would that actually change anything? XML
tags in metadata files don't maintain packages - people do.

This sort of thing has happened many times in the past. Sometimes it
does result in packages getting treecleaned, but mainly when they have
other serious issues. Popular packages aren't likely to get removed
this way - certainly not something like libjpeg or imagemagick and so
on.

--
Rich
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 6 Jun, 2020 at 14:50, Aaron Bauman <bman@gentoo.org> wrote:
> All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.
>
> All packages have been reassigned to maintainer-needed. Bugs will be
> reassigned soon.
>
> Here are a list of the packages that are now up for grabs:

> media-gfx/gnofract4d

GitHub PR updated with proxy-maint metadata update:

https://github.com/gentoo/gentoo/pull/15987

Chris
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2020-06-06 at 14:50 -0400, Aaron Bauman wrote:
> All, the graphics project has now been disbanded.
>
> All packages have been reassigned to maintainer-needed. Bugs will be
> reassigned soon.

Maybe it'd make sense to create a new project that is focused
on maintaining core libraries for gfx/audio/video formats (technical
name: codec project)? Right now, sound and video teams are also
suffering from similar problems. On one hand, it makes little sense to
create huge projects that maintain every single kind of gfx/sound/video-
related tool ever made, on the other it doesn't exactly make sense to
require every single core library to have an individual maintainer.

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 07 Jun 2020 02:05:56 +0300 Andreas K. Hüttel wrote:

>OK so if you really want to go through with this then I'll take these.
>
>> media-gfx/album
>> media-gfx/enblend
>> media-gfx/exiv2
>> media-gfx/gphoto2
>> media-gfx/hugin
>> media-gfx/imagemagick
>> media-gfx/jpeg2ps
>> media-gfx/jhead
>> media-gfx/luminance-hdr
>> media-gfx/pngquant
>> media-libs/lensfun
>> media-libs/libgphoto2
>
>That said, I think the basic action is in this case pretty
>unproductive. We now have a large number of central libraries
>maintainer-needed (libpng, jpeg, tiff, ...) which would really merit a
>team...

Just for the record, media-libs/libpng belongs to base-system team for
years. I do not even remember it ever belonged to graphics team.
So it's obviously not up for grabs :)

Cheers
Lars

--
Lars Wendler
Gentoo package maintainer
Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
Am Montag, 8. Juni 2020, 19:02:51 EEST schrieb Micha? Górny:
> Maybe it'd make sense to create a new project that is focused
> on maintaining core libraries for gfx/audio/video formats (technical
> name: codec project)? Right now, sound and video teams are also
> suffering from similar problems. On one hand, it makes little sense to
> create huge projects that maintain every single kind of gfx/sound/video-
> related tool ever made, on the other it doesn't exactly make sense to
> require every single core library to have an individual maintainer.

Count me in.

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Codec_project

Here's the page. I consider this started once 3 other people have joined...

Re: Graphics Project disbanded [pkgs up for grabs] [ In reply to ]
On 2020-06-06 20:50, Aaron Bauman wrote:

> media-gfx/darktable
> media-gfx/pngcrush

I'll take these.

--