the ebuild does not depend on acct-user/mythtv when the user already
exists. This prevents both the changing and deletion of the existing user.

What is the gentoo way to discover a preexisting user? Repoman does not
like anything I tried using egetent passwd mythtv

2)  Add something to the acct-user/mythtv to (conditionally) prevent any
change if there is a preexisting user on the system. The acct-user
unmerge would also check that the user was not modified since it was
created by acct-user. This seems like a lot of work.
Re: RFC: acct-user/... modifies existing user sometimes [ In reply to ]
On Sat, 2019-12-14 at 14:47 -0600, The Bit Pit wrote:
> acct-user/mythtv modifies the existing user if that user is not logged
> in. Mythtv has been around for years and users have created specialized
> configurations for the mythtv user. They do not like changes to the
> mythtv user when upgrading.
>
> A couple of solutions:
>
> 1)
> the ebuild does not depend on acct-user/mythtv when the user already
> exists. This prevents both the changing and deletion of the existing user.
>
> What is the gentoo way to discover a preexisting user? Repoman does not
> like anything I tried using egetent passwd mythtv
>
> 2) Add something to the acct-user/mythtv to (conditionally) prevent any
> change if there is a preexisting user on the system. The acct-user
> unmerge would also check that the user was not modified since it was
> created by acct-user. This seems like a lot of work.

Users are supposed to create a local acct-user/mythtv override if they
want to use a custom setup.

--
Best regards,
Micha? Górny
Re: RFC: acct-user/... modifies existing user sometimes [ In reply to ]
On 2019-12-14 21:47, The Bit Pit wrote:
> acct-user/mythtv modifies the existing user if that user is not logged
> in. Mythtv has been around for years and users have created specialized
> configurations for the mythtv user. They do not like changes to the
> mythtv user when upgrading.

Could you please be a little bit more precise what's changing?

acct-* shouldn't mess with already *existing* users. So upgrade
experience shouldn't be affected...

Thomas Deutschmann / Gentoo Linux Developer
C4DD 695F A713 8F24 2AA1 5638 5849 7EE5 1D5D 74A5
Re: RFC: acct-user/... modifies existing user sometimes [ In reply to ]
On 12/14/19 5:02 PM, Thomas Deutschmann wrote:

> acct-* shouldn't mess with already *existing* users. So upgrade
> experience shouldn't be affected...

Even on upgrades, pkg_postinst() in acct-user.eclass will update the
home directory, shell, groups, and comment field.

Without more information, all I can say is that there's probably a
better way to do whatever these users are doing that doesn't involve
modifying a system user. But regardless, Micha?'s answer is the right
one if you decide that you do want to modify it.
Re: RFC: acct-user/... modifies existing user sometimes [ In reply to ]
On 12/15/19 5:31 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:

> Without more information, all I can say is that there's probably a
> better way to do whatever these users are doing that doesn't involve
> modifying a system user. But regardless, Micha?'s answer is the right
> one if you decide that you do want to modify it.

Your observation is correct. This package I am working with "mythtv" has
been around for years. Users customize it incorrectly and once working
are reluctant to change it. They still want to upgrade to get
features/bug fixes. I am guilty of improper use of the mythtv user
myself. There is a lot of old documentation that uses it improperly.

I am reluctant to introduce unexpected changes to old systems. This
update will force consideration that maybe the mythtv user is being
misused; while manually restoring (or creating a custom overlay) after
acct-user/mythtv is emerged on the system. Once installed
acct-user/mythtv is not usually reinstalled. It should not need manual
restoration often.