Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2005-08-04 at 14:37 -0500, Brian D. Harring wrote:
> Elaborate on what you explicitly want out of portage please- the
> domain concept (aside from being useful design wise) *should* allow
> groupping of boxes (groupping of domains really) behind it, so you can
> effectively have a set of boxes, pushing changes to each.
>
> Mind you no code written, but current design is intended to allow
> remote chunks to be swapped in/out of portagelib on the fly
> (including the actual portage configuration).

The only things I could see being needed out of portage itself is the
ability to control "emerge" commands remotely, such as forcing an update
of apache to $version to resolve a vulnerability.

Besides the back-end portage pieces, there would need to be a front-end
interface for performing these tasks.

> Better angle of discussion rather then "we aren't there yet" is the
> specifics of what is needed to *get* there in peoples opinion.

Agreed completely.

Some things I could see as needed:

1. applying updates on any file that is under CONFIG_PROTECT where the
md5/file-size matches that in /var/db for the file without user
interaction
2. automatic removal of files under CONFIG_PROTECT where the
md5/file-size matches that in /var/db during unmerge

> It's not an overnight thing, glep19 (stable portage tree) addresses a
> chunk of concerns when/if it's implemented, but I'm a bit more
> interested in the the other tools people desire alongside.

As am I. The Installer is one such project. We do not have any project
that I am aware of that is designed to resolve the problem of remotely
managing a server. There is nothing for pushing config changes/package
updates/new packages. There would need to be some interface for doing
these things. Stop by any trade show, such as LWE, and you'll see guys
pushing their wares on remotely managing Linux. We should provide
something like this ourselves.

eg. If I want to change the subnet mask or default router on 50 machines
on my network, I should be able to do so via a simple interface and have
the work done automatically.

> Re: a drop-in solution, considering that gentoo is effectively all
> over the map (seriously, look at the tree), define the profile for the
> drop-in; drop-in ftp, drop-in web server, drop-in mosix node... etc.

I meant a drop-in management solution, not a specific set of server
profiles, though those could be created with the Installer. In fact, I
see the Installer as one of the first pieces of the framework necessary
for deployment and management of a large number of servers. Once the
netfe interface is completed with the Installer, you will be able to PXE
boot your server and have it load a specific installer profile, and it
will install Gentoo to those specifications. Beyond that, we lose
control of the server and must manually perform all other actions.

> Specifics...
>
> Hell, I have yet to see what I would define as a proper solution for
> config manamagent for N gentoo boxes. NFS solution possibly, but that
> seems a bit hackish to me.

There isn't a proper solution yet. Honestly, something like a
repository holding configuration information with revision control would
probably be best, so you can revert changes. There are quite a few
systems like this out for Red Hat and others, but nothing that is
Gentoo-specific, or even Gentoo-capable, as far as I know. We should
beat people to the punch and design one ourselves.

The main things we need to provide are:

Provisioning - building a server from bare metal to some pre-determined
state
Management - being able to make changes to existing servers without
manually logging into each to make the changes
Updates - this somewhat goes with management, but a facility for
disseminating patches or updated packages to servers

> Moot point frankly, considering we're all volunteers; someone
> *could* get off their butts and start up an attempt to provide hand
> holding (effectively what you're coloring the management arg as)
> services, but even if they did, the followup arg would be that you
> can't yet trust this new support company, because they're new.
> Etc.

Not entirely moot, as a company could be formed in cooperation with the
Foundation, as I stated earlier in the thread. This symbiotic
relationship would give the new company a bit more credit, as it will be
supported by the Foundation. This could be a Foundation-owned company,
or a completely separate entity. Anyway, this isn't so much my point,
as many people *are* willing to forgo having a human voice on the end of
a phone.

> Basically, we don't have control over that portion, so... what
> can be mangled that we *do* have control over, and has an effect?

Our tools. Currently, we have very few "Gentoo tools" used for managing
a system. We would need to define the requirements for these tools, and
then work on ways of getting them built. It's like I said, I think the
primary weakness in Gentoo's enterprise adoption is the need for each
company to reinvent the wheel on their own deployment. If we had a set
of extensible tools for managing Gentoo machines, then companies would
have a framework for building upon to meet their own needs. Why does
everyone, for example, need to invent their own way of adding users to
their network? Why can't we provide some method and allow them to
customize it and extend it?

> Mentioned management tools, well, get into specifics; pxe network
> installs/imaging? Single tree/cache for N servers? Ability to push
> updates out to a specific box, or set of servers? Integration of
> portage contents db with IDS tools?

PXE installs is on its way. Being able to share the tree/caches would
definitely be of benefit. I already discussed updates. I hadn't even
considered the IDS integration, but that is an awesome idea. How about
configuration file management? Asset management? Inventory database?
How about a "remote assistance" feature? Since Gentoo is not only used
on servers, but could also be deployed on the workstation, we should
also provide tools for managing and supporting them, too. What about
some form of policy enforcement? Things like turning on Remote Desktop
Sharing in KDE/Gnome, so IT staff can assist users with issues.

> > Portage really has nothing to do with deployment or management. In
> > fact, the only thing it really does is package management, which is
> > probably why it is called a package management tool, and not an
> > enterprise resource manager.
>
> Any enterprise resource manager is going to have to fool with pkgs at
> some point- that's my line of interest in this.

Correct. I think my meaning was that we need to look at things
*besides* package management. You guys seem to already have a good idea
of the things we need and I've seen progress towards making portage more
enterprise-friendly with some of the features planned for the future.

The main thing we need is a powerful portage API that allows complete
control of portage without using "emerge" at the command line.

> > Gentoo is currently unmaintainable at this scale without a significant
> > investment in infrastructure and development to make the system
> > manageable. Think of it this way, if I can pay 4 developers to work on
> > this project for 6 months, and each developer makes $50,000 a year, or I
> > can pay Novell $100,000 and have the system in place in 2 weeks, which
> > do you think I would do? This is the exact reason why Gentoo is not
> > used in the enterprise more. There is simply too high a barrier of
> > entry into making a usable and manageable Gentoo deployment.

> Or, you find a collection of trained coder monkeys who are oddballs
> who might have an interest in implementing this stuff on their own
> time, and try to nudge them in the correct direction; no, this isn't a
> solution, but again, having an ent. solution (going by your statement)
> isn't going to be funded by anyone.

I meant this to mean $company pays developers to implement this for
themselves, whereas Novell/Red Hat have already paid for most of this
work on their own distributions. The idea being that we are much more
likely to get enterprise adoption if we have some tools in place, even
if rudimentary in comparison, where currently we have nothing.

> Ok, fine. So it goes.
>
> Meanwhile, reiterating my point, I'd rather see a discussion of what
> people *want* in the way of tools, then "we aren't there yet".
> Generally known that you have to roll your own somewhat for tools,
> well, would rather know what people want then see then another round
> of kicking the dead horse.

Quite simply:

Some form of GUI (and console) tools capable of controlling every aspect
of any given set of Gentoo servers within an enterprise, from birth
until death.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Strategic Lead/QA Manager
Re: Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 05:31:43PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> The only things I could see being needed out of portage itself is the
> ability to control "emerge" commands remotely, such as forcing an update
> of apache to $version to resolve a vulnerability.

The requirements of portage, or whatever component supplies
(essentially) pkg management of remote boxes is going to be a bit more
complex then just pushing emerge commands out; aside from config data,
it'll probably centralize the vdb type contents somewhere, let alone
avoiding N copies of the ebuild tree on each server.

Basically, whatever daemon is running clientside for all of this will
have to support a good bit of handing off commands to portage, hence
the interest (since from my point of view, it's a starting point).

> Some things I could see as needed:
>
> 1. applying updates on any file that is under CONFIG_PROTECT where the
> md5/file-size matches that in /var/db for the file without user
> interactio

That would have to be determined prior to starting the update push.
I'd think basically a CONFIG_PROTECT limited scan of boxes to be
updated, verifying things are in order according to the vdb (whether
remote or local to that box) probably would fly.

> 2. automatic removal of files under CONFIG_PROTECT where the
> md5/file-size matches that in /var/db during unmerge

current vdb implementation relies on md5/file-size, future should rely
on refcount, and be a good bit more configurable.

> > It's not an overnight thing, glep19 (stable portage tree) addresses a
> > chunk of concerns when/if it's implemented, but I'm a bit more
> > interested in the the other tools people desire alongside.
Offhand, responding to my own snippet, I'd love to know what's going
on with glep19...

> As am I. The Installer is one such project. We do not have any project
> that I am aware of that is designed to resolve the problem of remotely
> managing a server. There is nothing for pushing config changes/package
> updates/new packages. There would need to be some interface for doing
> these things. Stop by any trade show, such as LWE, and you'll see guys
> pushing their wares on remotely managing Linux. We should provide
> something like this ourselves.
>
> eg. If I want to change the subnet mask or default router on 50 machines
> on my network, I should be able to do so via a simple interface and have
> the work done automatically.

Approach I've been thinking about (that fits semi-neatly exempting
collision-protect) is essentially config pkgs, binding them on the fly
to pkgs being pushed out. Essentially, base apache pkg (that out of
an ebuild tree), with it's depend tweaked automatically to pull in a
matching configuration pkg.

Pushing out config updates wouldn't be too hard if handled in this
manner, although generation of the config pkgs themselves would be a
bit tricky.

> > Re: a drop-in solution, considering that gentoo is effectively all
> > over the map (seriously, look at the tree), define the profile for the
> > drop-in; drop-in ftp, drop-in web server, drop-in mosix node... etc.
>
> I meant a drop-in management solution, not a specific set of server
> profiles, though those could be created with the Installer. In fact, I
> see the Installer as one of the first pieces of the framework necessary
> for deployment and management of a large number of servers. Once the
> netfe interface is completed with the Installer, you will be able to PXE
> boot your server and have it load a specific installer profile, and it
> will install Gentoo to those specifications. Beyond that, we lose
> control of the server and must manually perform all other actions.
Niete.

> > Specifics...
> >
> > Hell, I have yet to see what I would define as a proper solution for
> > config manamagent for N gentoo boxes. NFS solution possibly, but that
> > seems a bit hackish to me.
>
> There isn't a proper solution yet. Honestly, something like a
> repository holding configuration information with revision control would
> probably be best, so you can revert changes. There are quite a few
> systems like this out for Red Hat and others, but nothing that is
> Gentoo-specific, or even Gentoo-capable, as far as I know. We should
> beat people to the punch and design one ourselves.
>
> The main things we need to provide are:
>
> Provisioning - building a server from bare metal to some pre-determined
> state
Installer...

> Management - being able to make changes to existing servers without
> manually logging into each to make the changes
Domain class should provide for it
> Updates - this somewhat goes with management, but a facility for
> disseminating patches or updated packages to servers
Same as above

> Our tools. Currently, we have very few "Gentoo tools" used for managing
> a system. We would need to define the requirements for these tools, and
> then work on ways of getting them built. It's like I said, I think the
> primary weakness in Gentoo's enterprise adoption is the need for each
> company to reinvent the wheel on their own deployment. If we had a set
> of extensible tools for managing Gentoo machines, then companies would
> have a framework for building upon to meet their own needs. Why does
> everyone, for example, need to invent their own way of adding users to
> their network? Why can't we provide some method and allow them to
> customize it and extend it?
glep27 comes to mind re: users, although that's not management of
samba users (fex).

> > Mentioned management tools, well, get into specifics; pxe network
> > installs/imaging? Single tree/cache for N servers? Ability to push
> > updates out to a specific box, or set of servers? Integration of
> > portage contents db with IDS tools?
>
> PXE installs is on its way. Being able to share the tree/caches would
> definitely be of benefit. I already discussed updates. I hadn't even
> considered the IDS integration, but that is an awesome idea. How about
> configuration file management?

Configuration file management, as long as it's centralized, can be
slightly bastardized as pkgs for pushing/updating. If that's the
case, it should be possible to avoid reinventing the wheel for
handling it- hence the IDS comment. Verification of config's prior to
stomping them on an upgrade.

> Asset management? Inventory database?
No good answer on that one, since it's outside the ken of what my area
of interest (portage) :)
Offhand, I'd expect whatever method is used to push commands down via
the domain class, probably can be extended to add these additional
knobs. It really depends on what you're trying to query though,
cpuinfo/df, or license management...

> > > Portage really has nothing to do with deployment or management. In
> > > fact, the only thing it really does is package management, which is
> > > probably why it is called a package management tool, and not an
> > > enterprise resource manager.
> >
> > Any enterprise resource manager is going to have to fool with pkgs at
> > some point- that's my line of interest in this.
>
> Correct. I think my meaning was that we need to look at things
> *besides* package management. You guys seem to already have a good idea
> of the things we need and I've seen progress towards making portage more
> enterprise-friendly with some of the features planned for the future.
>
> The main thing we need is a powerful portage API that allows complete
> control of portage without using "emerge" at the command line.

Heh, what, current api isn't usable? :)
Yeah, api is an area needing improvement.

> Some form of GUI (and console) tools capable of controlling every aspect
> of any given set of Gentoo servers within an enterprise, from birth
> until death.
Oh... just that. 'k. :)

re: the remote assist/control of a box, I'd wonder what could be
handled via ldap (auth) and use flag...
~harring
Re: Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
Re: Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
On Friday 05 August 2005 03:40, Brian D. Harring wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 05:31:43PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> It's not an overnight thing, glep19 (stable portage tree) addresses a
> > > chunk of concerns when/if it's implemented, but I'm a bit more
> > > interested in the the other tools people desire alongside.
>
> Offhand, responding to my own snippet, I'd love to know what's going
> on with glep19...
Not much lately I'm afraid:-/ If anyone is willing to help out I guess a mail
to glep19@gentoo.org might get it all (re)started.

--
Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen
Gentoo Linux Security Team
Re: Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 05, 2005 at 10:59:23AM +0200, Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
> On Friday 05 August 2005 03:40, Brian D. Harring wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 04, 2005 at 05:31:43PM -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> > It's not an overnight thing, glep19 (stable portage tree) addresses a
> >
> > Offhand, responding to my own snippet, I'd love to know what's going
> > on with glep19...
> Not much lately I'm afraid:-/ If anyone is willing to help out I guess a mail
> to glep19@gentoo.org might get it all (re)started.
Might be better stating what's needed...
A) people know what they're inadvertantly getting themselves into
B) something might be bloody simple to somebody, and they pick it off
when they may not have been willing to take the time and poke and
find out what's up
C) alternatives might be proposed...

So... spill the beans. :P
~harring
Re: Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
http://dev.gentoo.org/~jaervosz/glep19.html

> B) something might be bloody simple to somebody, and they pick it off
> when they may not have been willing to take the time and poke and
> find out what's up
> C) alternatives might be proposed...
Of course, but lets see if we can implement something first, otherwise we'll
continue arguing alternatives every ~6 months and never really do anything.

Last time around we at least got a bit going, though admittedly not much.

--
Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen
Gentoo Linux Security Team
Re: Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2005-08-05 at 01:50 -0700, Donnie Berkholz wrote:

> Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> | eg. If I want to change the subnet mask or default router on 50 machines
> | on my network, I should be able to do so via a simple interface and have
> | the work done automatically.
>
> That's why we added c3 and clusterssh to the tree. =)

Doing this over ssh leaves a lot to be desired. For one, it requires
ssh keys to be distributed over the entirety of the network. Second it
requires ssh keys for root without a passphrase, or via an agent, to be
always active.

Re: Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
Sune Kloppenborg Jeppesen wrote:
> On Friday 05 August 2005 11:07, Brian Harring wrote:
>
>>Might be better stating what's needed...
>>A) people know what they're inadvertantly getting themselves into
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~jaervosz/glep19.html
>

>>B) something might be bloody simple to somebody, and they pick it off
>> when they may not have been willing to take the time and poke and
>> find out what's up
>>C) alternatives might be proposed...
>
> Of course, but lets see if we can implement something first, otherwise we'll
> continue arguing alternatives every ~6 months and never really do anything.
>
> Last time around we at least got a bit going, though admittedly not much.

Yeah, we started to get somewhere with it, but then some of us got
caught up in being busier in real life or other things popped up. But I
agree here that we just have to start with something and see where it
goes. Too many times have things been debated and nothing ever
done/tried. I also tend to agree with Chris that to do it completely
right would require a small fork that would work together with Gentoo on
archiving its goals.

It would be nice to come up with a solution without forking, but I just
don't see how it'd be possible and keep things as they should in an
enterprise realm. Things are starting to settle down for me again and I
would like to jumpstart this project again.

--
Lance Albertson <ramereth@gentoo.org>
Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager

---
GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742

ramereth/irc.freenode.net
Re: Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
On 04/08/05 14:37 -0500, Brian D. Harring wrote:
<snip>
> Hell, I have yet to see what I would define as a proper solution for
> config manamagent for N gentoo boxes. NFS solution possibly, but that
> seems a bit hackish to me.

http://www.infrastructures.org/ is a good place to start.

Devdas Bhagat
Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
> This is kinda bloggish, because it's basically a transcription of an
> IRC monologue. My apologies if it's hard to follow... Nonetheless,
> I'm interested in how other developers feel on the topics I bring up
> below.

Though i'm a developer, i'm not a gentoo-developer.

> In my humble opinion, Gentoo is missing too many points to be an
> enterprise Linux. We commit to a live tree. We don't have true QA,
> testing or tinderbox. We don't have paid staff, alpha/beta/rc cycles.
> We don't really have product lifecycles, since we don't generally
> backport fixes to older versions, requiring instead for people to
> update to a more recent release. We don't have, and probably will
> never be able to offer, support contracts. We support as wide a range
> of hardware as the upstream kernel, plus hardware that requires
> external drivers; we don't have access to a great deal of the hardware
> for which we provide drivers. We understand when real life gets in
> the way of bug-fixing, because all our developers are volunteers.

QA is a problem. Bugs get fixed, but often they are only fixed in ~x86
versions, not in the stable x86 series. For example baselayout: there
are lot of ~x86 - miles ahead of that is marked x86. Maintainers think,
it's sufficient to only fix the most recent version. How do they
legitimate that?

And yes, Gentoo does not backport patches to older version. But is it
Gentoo's responsibility? If there's a bug in Postgresql 7.x and 8.x, and
the PostgreSQL people only fix it 8.x-series - well: Debian and Redhat
will backport the patches propably. They is a big reason why all the
distrubutions with precompiled packages do that:
- the updates has to be binary compatible with the old one

Gentoo doesn't suffer from that limitation. Gentoo offers ways to
migrate a system from openssl 0.9.6 to openssl 0.9.7 for example. Other
distributions doesn't offer that - although they could with better
package managers.

Also i've had too many SuSE- or Redhat-systems in the past that were
unsupported because RedHat and SuSE decide, to stop supplying updates
for older version of their distribution. So what am i supposed to do in
that case? Updating the whole distribution causing me troubles to
migrate everything to the new version (apache2 instead of apache 1.3, etc.)

With Gentoo, this is usually done as time goes by - though you have to
be very careful sometimes.

Administrating a Gentoo system takes time - much time, but ...

... writing my own packages for - let's say Redhat - takes more time
than writing an ebuild for Gentoo. If you have to maintain a system with
very special software, i would recomm Gentoo.

> I like the idea of Gentoo on alternative arches and in embedded
> environments. Not because I want Sony to start using Gentoo on
> walkmans, but purely because the idea of running Linux on a PDA is
> cool. I'd like Gentoo to be a place where neat things are developed.
> If RH or SuSE (or another for-profit Linux vendor) wants to take some
> of those developments and use them to make a profit, that's fine with
> me. We're over here having fun.

I like Gentoo, since everything is compiled - which offers much
flexibility, that precompiled packages don't offer.

Just some days ago, someone reinstalled a Server where we had PostGreSQL
8.0 running. He chose to install Debian - which offers PostGreSQL 7.4 -
so what did he do? He compiled PostGreSQL 8.0 himself, to be abled to
use our existing database. This will become hell the more packages you
have to compile on you own. Any configure-make-install-like package,
Perl-Module, etc... can be easy installed by using an ebuild.

In addition Gentoo is the only distribution i know, that supports
installing multiple Java-version etc...
A must-have for every real java-developer.

> Also I find it amusing when people say that Gentoo exists for the
> users. I think that is wrong. Gentoo exists for the *developers*.
> It's our playground, and it's the reason we use a live tree rather
> than switching to an actually sane approach. The users are cool
> because they point out bugs, help solve problems on bugzilla, suggest
> enhancements, provide patches, and notify us of package updates.
> Sometimes they become developers. But the truth is that Gentoo sees
> improvement and maintenance in the areas that appeal to the
> developers. And that is why Gentoo exists for the developers first,
> the users second.

by using Gentoo, you learn much about Linux (the Kernel) and all the
nice little software that makes it a usable OS. Somewhere on the net,
there was page about Gentoo and Debian. The conslusion was, that Gentoo
is a great distribution to learn, and Debian is a stable work-horse.
Well, Debian is stable workhorse - as long as you don't have a very
special configuration. AFAIK, Debian doesn't drop support for their
distributions that fast - and they doen't release a new distribution
every few months (like SuSE does).

So i'd say: use Debian, if you have a relativly normal system to
maintain, use Gentoo if you have the time - and never ever use Redhat or
SuSE.

Thx
Sven
Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
Chris Gianelloni posted <1123076347.31550.17.camel@cgianelloni.nuvox.net>,
excerpted below, on Wed, 03 Aug 2005 09:39:07 -0400:

>> Administrating a Gentoo system takes time - much time, but ...
>
> This is something that I think most people forget. Running Gentoo makes
> you a Linux Systems Administrator. Sure, you're only being the
> administrator for your machine, which might only have one user, but you're
> the admin. With some of the other distributions, *they* are the admin,
> and you're just a user. They make assumptions for you and limit what you
> can and cannot do (without an enormous amount of work to bypass their
> limits). This is especially apparent in the many cases where users expect
> Gentoo to do everything for them, when it doesn't.

I've found myself emphasizing this same point a number of times. There
are general system users that don't care /what/ they are on. Those are
/just/ users. However, by definition, /Gentoo/ user == sysadmin,
full-stop (period, for those USians not familiar with international
English, "full-stop" seems to me to convey the idea better). You mention
the lack of limits, and Sven mentioned the time it takes, but my emphasis
tends to be on the responsibilities of the job. A good sysadmin invests
the time and energy necessary to keep a healthy system, known vuln and
exploit free, but more than that, "clean" and simple, because (s)he
realizes the consequences of a failure to do so. A good sysadmin knows a
fair amount about how their system works, in ordered to do that. A good
sysadmin enjoys the job, or finds other work.

Gentoo makes being a good sysadmin easy. However, by the same token,
because it assumes that admin is in place, it tends to make being an
ordinary "user" on an admin-less Gentoo system very difficult. Those that
don't like being sysadmins, really should be looking at a distribution
that, as you said, really takes on much of the sysadmin duties as part of
the services provided by the distribution. The best Gentoo user, then,
because being a Gentoo user by definition means being a sysadmin, truly
enjoys both the responsibilities and privileges of system administration.
Again, if that's /not/ the case, one really should be reexamining their
choice of Gentoo, as it's really not the best fit distribution available
for those who'd really rather be doing something other than system
administration.

and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in

Re: where goes Gentoo? [ In reply to ]
>>>In my humble opinion, Gentoo is missing too many points to be an
>>>enterprise Linux. We commit to a live tree. We don't have true QA,
>>>testing or tinderbox. We don't have paid staff, alpha/beta/rc cycles.
>>>We don't really have product lifecycles, since we don't generally
>>>backport fixes to older versions, requiring instead for people to
>>>update to a more recent release. We don't have, and probably will
>>>never be able to offer, support contracts. We support as wide a range
>>>of hardware as the upstream kernel, plus hardware that requires
>>>external drivers; we don't have access to a great deal of the hardware
>>>for which we provide drivers. We understand when real life gets in
>>>the way of bug-fixing, because all our developers are volunteers.
>>
>>QA is a problem. Bugs get fixed, but often they are only fixed in ~x86
>>versions, not in the stable x86 series. For example baselayout: there
>>are lot of ~x86 - miles ahead of that is marked x86. Maintainers think,
>>it's sufficient to only fix the most recent version. How do they
>>legitimate that?
>
> This one is easy. A stable package's ebuild should not change. Period.

I agree with you there - though sometimes, stable ebuilds are changed -
even without changing the version-number.

> To "fix" the stable version, means that a new revision of the latest
> stable version would need to be made, and that revision would need to be
> tested, before it would go to stable. The only real exception to this
> is security bugs. Also, in many cases, the bug in question requires
> changes that are simply not feasible easily in the current stable
> version, but quite easy in the latest version. It really boils down to
> this: If you're having an issue with a package in Gentoo and it is
> fixed in the latest ~arch version, then you should *use* the ~arch
> version (remember, it doesn't mean "unstable" it means "testing") and
> you should report back to the maintainers that this is working for you
> so that they can get it moved into stable quicker. We don't have the
> staff or the time to backport every fix to every stable version.
> Remember that in many cases the "latest stable" version varies between
> architectures.

I chose baselayout for a particular reason. There is baselayout 1.9,
1.11 and 1.12. (i think there was 1.10 too - some time ago - perhaps)

I i reported bugs - as usual - but the bug was fixed for 1.11 or 1.12 (i
can't remeber, it was about a year ago). The problem: the fix was not
backported to 1.9 (which was stable at that time). Since baselayout is a
very important part of Gentoo, i didn't think that it would be a good
idea, to upgrade my x86-version 1.9 to a ~x86-version 1.11. So i would
have expected that such changes would go into a new 1.9-version which
could have become stable after some testing - but they didn't. So
patches the scripts manually - well, and easy task, although i had to
pay attention so they my changes weren't overwritten.

1 2 3  View All