Mailing List Archive

Metrics for GLEP 30: "Planet Gentoo" web log aggregator
Here are a couple of ideas for measuring the success
for a "Planet Gentoo":

1. Set a goal of X visits to the site. For example,
if gentoo.org receives 1 million visitors a month, set
a threshold for the Planet Gentoo to 1 to 3 per cent
of gentoo.org's traffic.

2. For the developer's maintaining a blog, set a
quota of Y number of updates per month. If the blogs
are not being updated once a month (as an example),
then possibly it's not a good idea to maintain this
site. As a result, the number of visitors starts to
fall.

Please note that I don't know what the actual traffic
to gentoo.org nor what a respectable amount of updates
per month for a blog. However, there has to be a
starting point. Start on the low side, yet high
enough to merit dedicating some resources for
implementation.

At last the two metric above should show if there is
enough interest. Who knows, we may find other metrics
that should be included as well.

Scott