Mailing List Archive

using one portage tree for development and portage itself

Re: using one portage tree for development and portage itself [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:39 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> I currently have two copies of the portage tree on my system.
>
> The one that portage itself uses is at /usr/portage, but I have a second copy at /usr/gentoo-x86 which is the one that is checked out of cvs.
>
> Is this the way I should be working, or is there a way to use one copy of the portage tree for both development and portage itself?

Work however it's easiest for you.

I have three trees on my system: an rsync tree, an overlay with current
work in it, and a CVS checkout that is not listed as an overlay, which I
use purely for committing changes from my overlay.
Re: using one portage tree for development and portage itself [ In reply to ]
* Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@gentoo.org> [04/10/19 21:44 -0700]:
> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:39 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:
> > I currently have two copies of the portage tree on my
> > system.
> >
> > The one that portage itself uses is at /usr/portage, but
> > I have a second copy at /usr/gentoo-x86 which is the one
> > that is checked out of cvs.
> >
> > Is this the way I should be working, or is there a way
> > to use one copy of the portage tree for both development
> > and portage itself?
>
> Work however it's easiest for you.

What about
SYNC="cvs://youraccount@cvs.gentoo.org:/var/cvsroot" ? Is
it still supported by portage?

I used it a while long ago, but at that time our CVS-Server
was too slow for a complete, regulary update. So I also
dropped into the three-tree solution.

Regards, Lars
Re: using one portage tree for development and portage itself [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 23:39 -0500, William Hubbs wrote:

> All,
>
> I currently have two copies of the portage tree on my system.
>
> The one that portage itself uses is at /usr/portage, but I have a second copy at /usr/gentoo-x86 which is the one that is checked out of cvs.
>
> Is this the way I should be working, or is there a way to use one copy of the portage tree for both development and portage itself?

Actually, you "should" have 3 trees (kinda).

You should have /usr/portage, which is what you get from rsync.

You should have $CVSROOT/gentoo-x86 (wherever you want it) for commits.

You should have $PORTDIR_OVERLAY for making your actual changes.

Don't actually edit files in your CVS tree. Edit them in your overlay
then move them over. While this does create extra steps, it ensures you
are accidentally commiting something you might be in-development on that
could potentially break systems.

--
Chris Gianelloni
Release Engineering - Operational/QA Manager
Re: using one portage tree for development and portage itself [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 08:38 -0400, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
> Don't actually edit files in your CVS tree. Edit them in your overlay
> then move them over. While this does create extra steps, it ensures you
> are accidentally commiting something you might be in-development on that
> could potentially break systems.

s/are/aren't/

Unless of course you meant to say that we should accidentally commit
things like this? =)
Re: using one portage tree for development and portage itself [ In reply to ]
* Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@gentoo.org> [04/10/19 21:44 -0700]:
> Work however it's easiest for you.

Just reread the above quotation.

On Wed, 2004-10-20 at 07:18 +0200, Lars Weiler wrote:
> What about
> SYNC="cvs://youraccount@cvs.gentoo.org:/var/cvsroot" ? Is
> it still supported by portage?
>
> I used it a while long ago, but at that time our CVS-Server
> was too slow for a complete, regulary update. So I also
> dropped into the three-tree solution.

Syncing from cvs is a very confident way, but you all can imagine what
would happen, if all developers started doing it.

IMHO the three-tree solution is the only correct way of qualitative
development, especially since portage supports multiple overlays.

--
(o_ Markus Nigbur
//\ Gentoo Linux Developer