Mailing List Archive

Re: [gentoo-user] Fluxbox problem
150607 Philip Webb wrote:
> Yesterday, I updated to the now stable Fluxbox 1.3.7-r1 ;
> there have been no changes in my config files.
>
> Normally, I have the toolbar (the panel at the bottom of the screen) hidden
> & make it visible by dropping the mouse down there ;
> I also have Fbpager running to its left, similarly hidden & revealed.
>
> Since the update, the pager & toolbar remain hidden,
> even when I move the mouse down there, but when the mouse is over the pager,
> the toolbar appears in a flickering form. It becomes a solid image
> when I move the mouse to the right & remains till I move the mouse away.
> However, if the pager is not running, the toolbar remains hidden always.

I emerged 1.3.7 , which showed the same bug.
However, having restored 1.3.6-r1 , which I used before yesterday,
the bug has disappeared & the pager + the toolbar work as they should.
The configuration has remained the same thro'out these tests.

> Before I file a bug, has anyone else seen this ? Any advice ?

So again, are there any other Fluxbox users on the list ?

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
Re: Re: [gentoo-user] Fluxbox problem [ In reply to ]
Hi!

On Sun, Jun 07, 2015 at 01:57:58PM -0400, Philip Webb wrote:
> So again, are there any other Fluxbox users on the list ?

Sure, but I don't use neither hiding toolbar nor fbpager, so…

--
WBR, Alex.
Re: [gentoo-user] Fluxbox problem [ In reply to ]
150607 Mick wrote:
> On Sunday 07 Jun 2015 18:57:58 Philip Webb wrote:
>> Yesterday, I updated to the now stable Fluxbox 1.3.7-r1 ;
>> there have been no changes in my config files.
> Same here.
>> Normally, I have the toolbar (the panel at the bottom of the screen)
>> hidden & make it visible by dropping the mouse down there ;
>> I also have Fbpager running to its left, similarly hidden & revealed.
> My toolbar is set to be visible and I have no Fbpager.

So your experience is not directly relevant.

>> Since the update, the pager & toolbar remain hidden,
>> even when I move the mouse down there, but when the mouse is over the
>> pager, the toolbar appears in a flickering form. It becomes a solid
>> image when I move the mouse to the right & remains till I move the mouse
>> away. However, if the pager is not running, the toolbar remains hidden
>> always.
> I am guessing that the problem is with Fbpager.
> Do you still have the problem if you remove Fbpager?

Please read what I wrote (smile) !
"However, if the pager is not running, the toolbar remains hidden always" :
that is not the expected behaviour, ie what I get with 1.3.6-r1 ,
when moving the mouse over the toolbar area makes it appear.

> Something I noticed is that the toolbar will not show if hidden,
> until I move the cursor 1-2 inches or more from its right edge.
> I have a clock on the right hand side and need to come left well beyond it
> and into the application tabs area for the toolbar to show up.

That shouldn't be happening : it doesn't happen for me with 1.3.6-r1 .

> In any other position the cursor brings the toolbar up as expected.
> Now, if your Fbpager is where my clock happens to be
> -- the right hand edge of the toolbar --
> then we have come across the same bug.

It's to the left (please read what I wrote above)
& you are experiencing part of what's gone wrong with 1.3.7 ,
but not all of it :

> However, there is no flickering here :
> the toolbar either shows up or does not. So the flickering
> could be related to the canvas of the Fbpager being refreshed.

It's caused somehow by the presence of the pager.

>> I emerged 1.3.7 , which showed the same bug.
>> However, having restored 1.3.6-r1 , which I used before yesterday,
>> the bug has disappeared & the pager + the toolbar work as they should.
>> The configuration has remained the same thro'out these tests.
>> Before I file a bug, has anyone else seen this ? Any advice ?
>> Are there any other Fluxbox users on the list ?
> PS I only use Fluxbox as a fall back when Enlightenment does not work.
> Perhaps you should give e19 a spin, now that it is in the main tree.
> Configure your favourite apps to show up when you right click on the desktop
> and you should be pretty much at home with it.

I've been a contented user of Fluxbox for some years,
so I hope I don't have to drop it.

It looks like a bug report is needed. The Fluxbox WWW site warns
that 1.3.7 was released after 2 yr break & may need lots of testing.

SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb