Mailing List Archive

Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?
Subject: Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?

Good day from Singapore,

Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?

I have a friend who is very rich. He wants to build/DIY a desktop
computer based on AMD Ryzen 9 5000 series 16-core processor.

Thank you.

Regards,

Mr. Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming
Targeted Individual in Singapore
5 Aug 2022 Friday
Blogs:
https://tdtemcerts.blogspot.com
https://tdtemcerts.wordpress.com
Re: Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor? [ In reply to ]
Hello,

On 8/5/22 04:11, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> Subject: Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?
>
> Good day from Singapore,
>
> Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?

Yes, Gentoo can be installed on a 5950X.

--
Julien
Re: Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor? [ In reply to ]
Good afternoon from Wales,

I have Gentoo on my AMD Ryzen 9 3950X system, and can share my kernel
configuration of that would be helpful. I also have an AMD Radeon 6600X
graphics card installed. Everything runs flawlessly and quickly!

Rgds.,
Paul

Re: Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Aug 5, 2022 at 1:11 AM Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming <
tdtemccna@gmail.com> wrote:

> Subject: Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?
>
> Good day from Singapore,

Hello back from Tucson

> Can Gentoo be installed on AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-core processor?

Most certainly yes. I run Kubuntu on a 5950X and it runs fine. There's
no reason Gentoo wouldn't, with enough work, would work
well.

> I have a friend who is very rich. He wants to build/DIY a desktop
> computer based on AMD Ryzen 9 5000 series 16-core processor.

If your friend (or is it you) doesn't already know how to install and
maintain Gentoo then IMHO starting with Gentoo would be a big
mistake. As an alternative he could install Kubuntu, or some other
Ubuntu flavor, make sure the hardware is working, and then
blow it away and go to Gentoo if he (or you) decide it's worth
the pain/pleasure ratio.

Good luck,
Mark