to check the GPU. It's still visible in lspci & console mode works (with
tiny # lines & width).

(IDK if this will be text or html, the setting is not visible on phone)
Re: Radeon driver not working [ In reply to ]
Am 31.05.2017 um 06:29 schrieb Daiajo Tibdixious:
> (as an aside, where do I put modules to autoload?)

just have a look here (Handbook amd64):

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Kernel#Configuring_the_modules

For the rest of your questions I can't help. I am using nvidia for over
10 years now, nether have had a radeon....

Good luck!
--
Uwe Haider
uwe.haider@gmx.net
Re: Radeon driver not working [ In reply to ]
That's odd, I put radeon in /etc.conf.d/modules ages ago & it never loaded.

Re: Radeon driver not working [ In reply to ]
On 05/31/2017 07:29 AM, Daiajo Tibdixious wrote:
> For a while now I've been logging into root & doing "modprobe radeon"
> after which the screen will blank, then come back at a much higher
> resolution. (as an aside, where do I put modules to autoload?) Since the
> last reboot nothing happens. SDDM/KDE will not start.
>
> I have checked all the radeon settings in the kernel, & tried booting
> off a previous kernel with no change.
>
> If I login to my user account & do "startx" that also fails.
>
> I took the cover off the machine & the GPU fan is spinning. It's dusty
> but not too bad.
>
> I've run out of ideas. To me it looks like a HW fault but I don't know
> how to check the GPU. It's still visible in lspci & console mode works
> (with tiny # lines & width).
>
> (IDK if this will be text or html, the setting is not visible on phone)

Are you expecting people here to guess your hardware configuration,
kernel configuration, debug messages, etc?
Re: Radeon driver not working [ In reply to ]
I can't actually send from the machine so its hard to include stuff. I'm
not looking for a solution, just things to try.

I'm on kernel 4.9.16-gentoo
GPU is Turks XT (Radeon HD 6500/7670)
Kernel is setup according to the gentoo radeon guide, I compared it to
4.4.6 kernel, which has been working for months. Booting off that older
kernel doesn't change anything, so it can't be the kernel.

These are a manual transcript of selected Xorg.0.log errors
open /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory
Device (s) detected, but none match those in config file

The /dev/dri directory does not exist. If it's created by udev, maybe I
have a udev problem?