but it's not installed on my system, I don't see any use flags that would
apparently change that and there's no obvious documentation on what I think
is the sddm homepage:

https://github.com/sddm

If sddm cannot be configured this way then are there any other Display
Managers that work this way and work well with KDE?

Cheers,
Mark
Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
Hey Mark,

From man sddm.conf
MinimumUid=
Minimum user id of the users to be listed in the user
interface. Default value is 1000.
MaximumUid=
Maximum user id of the users to be listed in the user
interface. Default value is 60000

Presume if you just set MinimumUid to some high value - you'd get the
behaviour you desire.

To generate a sample sddm.conf - "sddm --example-config" (optionally
redirect to file)
This is missing from the manpage - but is there in the sddm -h output...

Cheers,
malc.

Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
These seem to be docs, but they don't seem particularly user focused.

https://github.com/sddm/sddm/tree/master/docs

--
Randy Barlow
Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 3:00 AM, malc <mlashley@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Mark,
>
> From man sddm.conf
> MinimumUid=
> Minimum user id of the users to be listed in the user
interface. Default value is 1000.
> MaximumUid=
> Maximum user id of the users to be listed in the user
interface. Default value is 60000

> Presume if you just set MinimumUid to some high value - you'd get the
behaviour you desire.

> To generate a sample sddm.conf - "sddm --example-config" (optionally
redirect to file)
> This is missing from the manpage - but is there in the sddm -h output...
>
> Cheers,
> malc.

Thanks Malc, That should give me some options to try out. I'll report back
later how it worked out.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 6:00 AM, malc <mlashley@gmail.com> wrote:

> From man sddm.conf
> MinimumUid=
> Minimum user id of the users to be listed in the user
> interface. Default value is 1000.
> MaximumUid=
> Maximum user id of the users to be listed in the user
> interface. Default value is 60000
>
> Presume if you just set MinimumUid to some high value - you'd get the
> behaviour you desire.

This still won't give you a username prompt as far as I can tell. If
it works I'm all ears as this behavior drives me nuts (I want to list
a few non-contiguous users as most of my UIDs don't log in and I hate
having to scroll every time I do log in). I suspect that setting the
minimum UID to a large number would just prevent you from logging in
at all, but please let us know if it works.

--
Rich
Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 6:11 AM, Rich Freeman <rich0@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 6:00 AM, malc <mlashley@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > From man sddm.conf
> > MinimumUid=
> > Minimum user id of the users to be listed in the user
> > interface. Default value is 1000.
> > MaximumUid=
> > Maximum user id of the users to be listed in the user
> > interface. Default value is 60000
> >
> > Presume if you just set MinimumUid to some high value - you'd get the
> > behaviour you desire.
> >

> This still won't give you a username prompt as far as I can tell. If
> it works I'm all ears as this behavior drives me nuts (I want to list
> a few non-contiguous users as most of my UIDs don't log in and I hate
> having to scroll every time I do log in). I suspect that setting the
> minimum UID to a large number would just prevent you from logging in
> at all, but please let us know if it works.

There is another option in the config file

# Hidden users

HideUsers=

No documentation that I've found but if it takes a non-contiguous list then
it might help get rid of some of the list.

Or take your chances and reassign user numbers?

I don't personally have a lot of interest but I see that it apparently runs
a setup script which could probably be modified:

[XDisplay]
# Xsetup script path
# A script to execute when starting the display server
DisplayCommand=/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup

The other thing I liked about kdm was that the login only showed on my
first monitor whereas sddm is showing it on all 3. Not a big deal as I
pretty much boot up in the morning and log in.

Cheers,
Mark
Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
For a text-input box for username - try the elarun or maldives themes

And fwiw - for a single-user desktop - I use auto-login (I wouldn't do this
on a laptop - or if I thought anyone else had physical access)

[Autologin]
# Autologin again on session exit
Relogin=false

# Autologin session
Session=plasma.desktop

# Autologin user
User=myusernamehere
Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:23:34 -0700 as excerpted:

> I don't personally have a lot of interest but [...]

> The other thing I liked about kdm was that the login only showed on my
> first monitor whereas sddm is showing it on all 3. Not a big deal as I
> pretty much boot up in the morning and log in.

Same thing here about booting up and logging in, but here I don't use a
*DM at all, preferring a text-based login, and running startx (with /etc/
X11/Xclients having a single "exec startkde" line) from my logged-in user
if I want to go to X/kde/plasma.

So no worries about *DM at all. I just login at the text prompt
regardless of whether I'm headed for X or not, and startx just as if it
was any other app I wanted to run at the text prompt. =:^)

Re: Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 8:49 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@cox.net> wrote:

> Mark Knecht posted on Mon, 18 Jul 2016 06:23:34 -0700 as excerpted:
>
> > I don't personally have a lot of interest but [...]
>
> > The other thing I liked about kdm was that the login only showed on my
> > first monitor whereas sddm is showing it on all 3. Not a big deal as I
> > pretty much boot up in the morning and log in.
>
> Same thing here about booting up and logging in, but here I don't use a
> *DM at all, preferring a text-based login, and running startx (with /etc/
> X11/Xclients having a single "exec startkde" line) from my logged-in user
> if I want to go to X/kde/plasma.
>
> So no worries about *DM at all. I just login at the text prompt
> regardless of whether I'm headed for X or not, and startx just as if it
> was any other app I wanted to run at the text prompt. =:^)
>
> --
> Duncan - List replies preferred. No HTML msgs.
> "Every nonfree program has a lord, a master --
> and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman

I just knew when I saw you had replied that you'd say that! ;-)

Here at home we share machines. My wife, much less my 86 year old mother,
wouldn't be at all comfortable with a solution being that technical, and
generally speaking, I like to know that graphics are working when a machine
boots vs she logs in, types startx and something fails - which happened
here after the Plasma 5 upgrade. My main machine has run 3 monitors for
years with no xorg.conf file but after the upgrade it didn't work anymore
and X wouldn't start at all.

Having a DM is kind of nice when managing other people's experiences but
this sddm choice seems oriented toward single user machine and less toward
general usage cases. I suppose so many people use laptops these days it
makes sense but not for me.

Good to hear from you. Has the networking thing worked out OK for you?

Cheers,
Mark
Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 17 July 2016 15:03:26 Mark Knecht wrote:
> The push to Plasma 5 had me switch to sddm by default instead of kdm. Does
> anyone know how to configure sddm to not advertise all user names on the
> login screen? I.e. - have users type both their user names as well as
> passwords?
>
> Note that there is discussion in the man pages about a file /etc/sddm.conf
> but it's not installed on my system, I don't see any use flags that would
> apparently change that and there's no obvious documentation on what I think
> is the sddm homepage:
>
> https://github.com/sddm
>
> If sddm cannot be configured this way then are there any other Display
> Managers that work this way and work well with KDE?
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

AFAICT you just have to select the right theme/design for SDDM. You can do
that via systemsettings, for example. It seems you want something like
Circles or Elarun.

HTH
--
Marc Joliet
don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup
Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@gmx.de> wrote:

> On Sunday 17 July 2016 15:03:26 Mark Knecht wrote:
> > The push to Plasma 5 had me switch to sddm by default instead of kdm.
Does
> > anyone know how to configure sddm to not advertise all user names on the
> > login screen? I.e. - have users type both their user names as well as
> > passwords?
> >
> > Note that there is discussion in the man pages about a file
/etc/sddm.conf
> > but it's not installed on my system, I don't see any use flags that
would
> > apparently change that and there's no obvious documentation on what I
think
> > is the sddm homepage:
> >
> > https://github.com/sddm
> >
> > If sddm cannot be configured this way then are there any other Display
> > Managers that work this way and work well with KDE?
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Mark
>
> AFAICT you just have to select the right theme/design for SDDM. You can
do
> that via systemsettings, for example. It seems you want something like
> Circles or Elarun.
>
> HTH
> --
> Marc Joliet

Thanks Marc. Elarun works and is relatively similar to the older KDM login
as to be familiar. The only weird problem I had was that a mouse double
click doesn't seem to select the whole login name so I have to click in the
box at the end and backspace to get a new name in.

Circles seems to work also but the 'circles' are so obnoxious! Just not the
theme for me. I sort of liked the circles login box a bit better because it
put the Plasma 5 choice right there. I didn't try breeze or maldives yet
but might just to see what they look like.

None the less very happy to have all those names and heads gone!

Cheers,
Mark
Re: sddm - any config to not advertise user names? [ In reply to ]
On Monday 18 July 2016 16:07:34 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 18, 2016 at 2:53 PM, Marc Joliet <marcec@gmx.de> wrote:
> > On Sunday 17 July 2016 15:03:26 Mark Knecht wrote:
> > > The push to Plasma 5 had me switch to sddm by default instead of kdm.
>
> Does
>
> > > anyone know how to configure sddm to not advertise all user names on the
> > > login screen? I.e. - have users type both their user names as well as
> > > passwords?
> > >
> > > Note that there is discussion in the man pages about a file
>
> /etc/sddm.conf
>
> > > but it's not installed on my system, I don't see any use flags that
>
> would
>
> > > apparently change that and there's no obvious documentation on what I
>
> think
>
> > > is the sddm homepage:
> > >
> > > https://github.com/sddm
> > >
> > > If sddm cannot be configured this way then are there any other Display
> > > Managers that work this way and work well with KDE?
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > > Mark
> >
> > AFAICT you just have to select the right theme/design for SDDM. You can
>
> do
>
> > that via systemsettings, for example. It seems you want something like
> > Circles or Elarun.
> >
> > HTH
> > --
> > Marc Joliet
>
> Thanks Marc. Elarun works and is relatively similar to the older KDM login
> as to be familiar. The only weird problem I had was that a mouse double
> click doesn't seem to select the whole login name so I have to click in the
> box at the end and backspace to get a new name in.
>
> Circles seems to work also but the 'circles' are so obnoxious! Just not the
> theme for me. I sort of liked the circles login box a bit better because it
> put the Plasma 5 choice right there. I didn't try breeze or maldives yet
> but might just to see what they look like.
>
> None the less very happy to have all those names and heads gone!
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

Glad that it worked for you! And in the worst case, you could probably make
your own theme ;-) (I remember reading that SDDM designs are in written in
QML).

Cheers
--
Marc Joliet