Mailing List Archive

Thought about emerge
Hello everyone,

Good news, thanks to all the help I got on this list, my Alpha XL-366 is
now running Gentoo. The essential things work great (booting, kernel,
apache2, perl, ssh, samba).

I'm now in the process of emerging and compiling the 88 packages needed
for kde (geez, that'll take a while) :-)

I was thinking, is there someplace where all the "end-of-emerge notes"
are put after an emerge? You know, the little reminders like :

* The configuration file has changed from that in XFree86.
* It is xorg.conf instead of XF86Config.
* You may use xorgcfg, X -configure, or xorgconfig
* to create xorg.conf.
* If XF86Config exists and xorg.conf does not, it will still
* read XF86Config.

which I'd really like to read, but which I'll probably mostly miss
because I'll be sleeping while they scroll past my screen... When
emerging something that really has a lot of dependencies, like kde which
in my case had 88 (including xorg-x11 of course), it would be nice if
those notes would go into a file, which I could read once the whole
process is done. Or even better, they could all be saved and shown on
screen at the end of the whole emerge, instead of after their specific
packages... That way we'd be sure to be able to read them.

Does anything like that exist? I can't really think of an alternative,
since I'd really like to use the time while I sleep to do some
compiling, but then I miss all these important notes...

Thanks,

J-S

Re: Thought about emerge [ In reply to ]
� wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> Good news, thanks to all the help I got on this list, my Alpha XL-366
> is now running Gentoo. The essential things work great (booting,
> kernel, apache2, perl, ssh, samba).
>
> I'm now in the process of emerging and compiling the 88 packages
> needed for kde (geez, that'll take a while) :-)
>
> I was thinking, is there someplace where all the "end-of-emerge notes"
> are put after an emerge? You know, the little reminders like :

> * The configuration file has changed from that in XFree86.
> * It is xorg.conf instead of XF86Config.
> * You may use xorgcfg, X -configure, or xorgconfig
> * to create xorg.conf.
> * If XF86Config exists and xorg.conf does not, it will still
> * read XF86Config.
>
> which I'd really like to read, but which I'll probably mostly miss
> because I'll be sleeping while they scroll past my screen... When
> emerging something that really has a lot of dependencies, like kde
> which in my case had 88 (including xorg-x11 of course), it would be
> nice if those notes would go into a file, which I could read once the
> whole process is done. Or even better, they could all be saved and
> shown on screen at the end of the whole emerge, instead of after their
> specific packages... That way we'd be sure to be able to read them.
>
> Does anything like that exist? I can't really think of an alternative,
> since I'd really like to use the time while I sleep to do some
> compiling, but then I miss all these important notes...
>
> Thanks,
>
> J-S

See make.conf's PORT_LOGDIR. Will log all the goodies for you. I
believe you need to create the directory before portage will write to it
however.

--
Alec Warner
Spartasoft Secretary ( spartasoft.msu.edu )

Re: Thought about emerge [ In reply to ]
Hello Alec,

> See make.conf's PORT_LOGDIR. Will log all the goodies for you. I
> believe you need to create the directory before portage will write to
> it however.

Yep, that's what I was looking for! Thanks!

J-S