Mailing List Archive

Wondering about the USE line in make.conf
Hi everyone,

Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and install Gentoo on my
Alpha XL-366. I was wondering if there were any guidelines about the USE
line in make.conf. In the installation docs, there is an example, and
they say to check out /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc for a description
of possible values, but there's no indcation as to whether we should
just keep it simple, or if we should put everything we think we may use
in there.

At first, I had put everything I thought I would use on my system. My
USE was as follows :

USE="-gtk -gnome -alsa qt kde doc gpm apache2 innodb matrox mysql
mozilla ncurses opengl pcre pdflib perl php profile readline samba sdl
ssl tidy truetype svga vhosts videos wxwindows xml xml2 xmlrpc xsl"

But then, I got some error messages like this when running "emerge system" :

livecd portage # emerge system
(... about 4 hours later ...)
gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -mieee -O2 -mcpu=ev56 -pipe -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall
-g -Iinclude-glibc -include include-glibc/glibc-bugs.h
-I../include -c -o tftpd.o tftpd.c
gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -mieee -O2 -mcpu=ev56 -pipe -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall
-g -Iinclude-glibc -include include-glibc/glibc-bugs.h
-I../include -c -o tftpsubs.o tftpsubs.c
gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -mieee -O2 -mcpu=ev56 -pipe -Wstrict-prototypes -Wall
-g -Iinclude-glibc -include include-glibc/glibc-bugs.h
-I../include rarpd.c -lresolv -o rarpd
gcc ping.o ping_common.o -lresolv -o ping
gcc tftpd.o tftpsubs.o -lresolv -o tftpd
doc
/usr/bin/docbook2html
make -C doc html
make[1]: Entering directory
`/var/tmp/portage/iputils-021109-r3/work/iputils/doc'
jw: No parser available
make[1]: *** [arping.html] Error 6
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/var/tmp/portage/iputils-021109-r3/work/iputils/doc'
make: *** [html] Error 2

!!! ERROR: net-misc/iputils-021109-r3 failed.
!!! Function src_compile, Line 87, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)
!!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status
message.

livecd portage #

From what I can see, it seems to be trying to build extra documentation
before the tools to do it are installed, which would be caused by my
putting "doc" in the USE variable, am I right?

So I went back to a simpler USE, like the following :

USE="-gtk -gnome qt kde"

I then restarted "emerge system", and it's churning along nicely...

Will this cause me problems later on? Should I put my longer USE line
back when I have the basic stuff installed? Or should I just stick to
the basic one I have now?

In general, what are the guidelines to the USE line?

Thanks in advance,

J-S

Re: Wondering about the USE line in make.conf [ In reply to ]
� wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> Well, I finally decided to take the plunge and install Gentoo on my
> Alpha XL-366. I was wondering if there were any guidelines about the
> USE line in make.conf. In the installation docs, there is an example,
> and they say to check out /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc for a
> description of possible values, but there's no indcation as to whether
> we should just keep it simple, or if we should put everything we think
> we may use in there.
>
> At first, I had put everything I thought I would use on my system. My
> USE was as follows :
>
> USE="-gtk -gnome -alsa qt kde doc gpm apache2 innodb matrox mysql
> mozilla ncurses opengl pcre pdflib perl php profile readline samba sdl
> ssl tidy truetype svga vhosts videos wxwindows xml xml2 xmlrpc xsl"
>
> But then, I got some error messages like this when running "emerge
> system" :

> livecd portage # emerge system
> (... about 4 hours later ...)
> gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -mieee -O2 -mcpu=ev56 -pipe -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wall -g -Iinclude-glibc -include include-glibc/glibc-bugs.h
> -I../include -c -o tftpd.o tftpd.c
> gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -mieee -O2 -mcpu=ev56 -pipe -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wall -g -Iinclude-glibc -include include-glibc/glibc-bugs.h
> -I../include -c -o tftpsubs.o tftpsubs.c
> gcc -D_GNU_SOURCE -mieee -O2 -mcpu=ev56 -pipe -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wall -g -Iinclude-glibc -include include-glibc/glibc-bugs.h
> -I../include rarpd.c -lresolv -o rarpd
> gcc ping.o ping_common.o -lresolv -o ping
> gcc tftpd.o tftpsubs.o -lresolv -o tftpd
> doc
> /usr/bin/docbook2html
> make -C doc html
> make[1]: Entering directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/iputils-021109-r3/work/iputils/doc'
> jw: No parser available
> make[1]: *** [arping.html] Error 6
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/var/tmp/portage/iputils-021109-r3/work/iputils/doc'
> make: *** [html] Error 2
>
> !!! ERROR: net-misc/iputils-021109-r3 failed.
> !!! Function src_compile, Line 87, Exitcode 2
> !!! (no error message)
> !!! If you need support, post the topmost build error, NOT this status
> message.
>
> livecd portage #
>
> From what I can see, it seems to be trying to build extra
> documentation before the tools to do it are installed, which would be
> caused by my putting "doc" in the USE variable, am I right?

Actaully you have encounted a well known gentoo bug, if my memory
serves. ssl + doc on emerge system == bad. There have been bugs filed,
and it's reportedly been fixed...twice...But I've seen it recently as
well. IIRC. It causes Perl to include SSL support, which causes
openssl to be compiled ( hence the SSL use flag ). However, the DOC use
flag causes openssl to compile in extra documentation, and openssl's
documention requires perl...and perl isn't built, because perl needs
ssl...and you see where this goes.
Anyway, the stripped down flags look ok, they aren't a huge deal,
especially if you are just messing around w/the alpha.

--
Alec Warner
Spartasoft Secretary ( spartasoft.msu.edu )

Re: Wondering about the USE line in make.conf [ In reply to ]
The following random bytes came from Alec's keyboard :

> Actaully you have encounted a well known gentoo bug, if my memory
> serves. ssl + doc on emerge system == bad.

Interesting... So once perl is built (after emerge system) I should be
able to put my longer USE line back without any problems?

This should probably be mentioned in the /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
file or in the installation instructions...

Thanks for the help,

J-S