Mailing List Archive

Re: AlphaStation 200 (Mustang) won't boot 2004.3 liveCD (resolved)
Marnix Arnold wrote:

> . This will probably work just fine with the 2004.3 stages; I don't think
> you are restricted to the 1.4rc1 stages just because you use the 1.4rc1
> liveCD.

I have successfully installed gentoo on this Alphastation 200 using the
1.4rc1 LiveCD and a 2004.3 stage 1 tarball.

> When (not if! ;-) you build your own kernel, you may want to be careful
> around video options initially since your problems appear indeed to have
> to do with video initialization. For instance, try disabling support for
> the framebuffer console at first; just get a minimal kernel to boot on
> your machine and add nice features incrementally. I'd start from the
> alpha-sources (alpha-sources ebuild, which is the 2.4.21 kernel with loads
> of alpha-specific patches).

Well, I built the kernel and still had video problems. I may not have
adequately sniffed out framebuffer stuff. I dunno. I think the
framebuffer works, though -- since I saw it work on the Compaq JumpStart
CD.

Using serial console works good, though. I configured SRM to use the serial
console as well. This is how I want to use the computer long-term, as
well.

Therefore, I'm going to leave the video problem unresolved. I plan to use
this box as a server -- so getting the serial console and ssh working were
the important parts. :-)

Anybody know of an install database where I should post an install report?

--
G a b r i e l M . B e d d i n g f i e l d

Re: Re: AlphaStation 200 (Mustang) won't boot 2004.3 liveCD (resolved) [ In reply to ]

> Anybody know of an install database where I should post an install report?

That 'install database' would be me since I build the livecds :) Please send your working .config to me so I can figure out the differences between that and the 2004.3 kernel.

Regards,
Bryan Østergaard

Re: Re: AlphaStation 200 (Mustang) won't boot 2004.3 liveCD (resolved) [ In reply to ]
On Sunday 12 December 2004 04:28 am, kloeri@gentoo.org wrote:
> > Anybody know of an install database where I should post an
> > install report?
>
> That 'install database' would be me since I build the livecds :)
> Please send your working .config to me so I can figure out the
> differences between that and the 2004.3 kernel.

Well, I didn't figure out the video problem... so I don't know how
valuable my .config will be. I also don't plan to resolve the video
problem. If I do, I'll be sure to send you the .config.

--
G a b r i e l M . B e d d i n g f i e l d