Mailing List Archive

Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3? [last update]
Hi all again! I'm sorry for this but I would like to give you an
update on what's happening here.
I've done with gcc emerging, at least. I had to compile and install
it manually, add a proper /etc/env.d/gcc config file, let gcc-config
select the new gcc-4.1.1 and then reemerge it. It seems to work fine.
I can go on with emerging an updated system, I hope.

BTW, I'm courious: how many people in this list have a DS25 or at
least an ev68 processor? It seems we are very few people and it is
hard to fix errors...

Cheers

/*
Davide Cittaro
HPC and Bioinformatics Systems @ Informatics Core

IFOM - Istituto FIRC di Oncologia Molecolare
via adamello, 16
20139 Milano
Italy

tel.: +39(02)574303007
e-mail: davide.cittaro@ifom-ieo-campus.it
*/
Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3? [last update] [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 02:57:08PM +0200, Davide Cittaro wrote:
> Hi all again! I'm sorry for this but I would like to give you an
> update on what's happening here.
> I've done with gcc emerging, at least. I had to compile and install
> it manually, add a proper /etc/env.d/gcc config file, let gcc-config
> select the new gcc-4.1.1 and then reemerge it. It seems to work fine.
> I can go on with emerging an updated system, I hope.
>
> BTW, I'm courious: how many people in this list have a DS25 or at
> least an ev68 processor? It seems we are very few people and it is
> hard to fix errors...

Couple of things here..

First, adding -Wa,-mev6 to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS is definitely not needed
and I would expect it break a few things personally.

Second, I've been using gcc-4.1.1-r3 for months on EV68 system(s) with
no problem at all. I'm maintaining all the toolchain stuff on alpha as
so far testing and keywording goes and I do most of my work on a CS20
(dual ev68AL so fairly close to your DS25 regarding specs). I haven't
seen any gcc related problems personally.

So I expect your problems either stems from your CFLAGS or perhaps from
glibc that. Which version of glibc are you using and what USE flags are
enabled?

Regards,
Bryan Østergaard
Re: gcc 4.1.1-r3? [last update] [ In reply to ]
On May 14, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Bryan Østergaard wrote:
> First, adding -Wa,-mev6 to CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS is definitely not
> needed
> and I would expect it break a few things personally.

In fact I've seen that the final attempt of emerging the flag is kept
apart and gcc compiles.

> So I expect your problems either stems from your CFLAGS or perhaps
> from
> glibc that. Which version of glibc are you using and what USE flags
> are
> enabled?

mmm, glibc 2.3.5. About USE flags:

USE="-X -alsa threads mysql ldap"

Since you are here, do you have a .config file for gentoo-
sources-2.6.19-r5 that allows a stable kernel for a DS25? I can't
boot at all. Actually I'm still on 2.4.30 since I never was able to
compile a working kernel on this machine (whereas an ES40 I have here
runs on 2.6.xx).

cheers

/*