so which kernel and compiler versions did you use.

BTW, I have an LX164.

Thanks
Re: NFS Server [ In reply to ]
gentoo@huskydog.org.uk (Richard Simpson) writes:
> Has anyone else had trouble with NFS serving since upgrading to a recent
> kernel or compiler?
> [...]

Actually I'm having the same issue (using stuff exported by an alpha and
mounted on a pc). When that happens, just issuing a mount command to a non
existing mountpoint will make nfs recover: assuming alpha exports /foo, if
the pc has alpha:/foo mounted somewhere and hung, just executing
mount alpha:/foo /somedirthatdoesntexist will make nfs works again. I've
posted on lkml and on linux-nfs but never got any reply.

--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer mchouque@free.fr
Re: NFS Server [ In reply to ]
Richard Simpson wrote:

>Has anyone else had trouble with NFS serving since upgrading to a recent
>kernel or compiler?
>
>I just tried upgrading to vanilla-sources 2.6.15.1. All seemed well, until my
>diskless mythtv system started crashing. It would appear to be an NFS
>problem. NFS works fine for a while, but after 10 to 15 minutes it locks up.
>This may be a function of the amount of data transfered. I also see problems
>when I mount NFS exports from the Alpha on my i386 SuSE 10.0 system.
>
>Fearing a problem with the kernel version I tried to build a new version of
>the old kernel (2.6.12.5), since I needed to add RAID. Bizarely and
>worryingly, this gives the same error. This suggests that something else has
>changed and the only thing I can think of is the compiler, which I have
>probably upgraded since I built the working kernel.
>
>Has anyone got a reliable Alpha NFS server with a recently built kernel and if
>so which kernel and compiler versions did you use.

I've seen exactly this problem on -2.6.15.1.

I downgraded back to 2.6.11.8 and all seems well again,
but I haven't done any stress-testing (yet).

Andrew.
Re: NFS Server [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 27 May 2006 15:11, Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer wrote:
> just executing
> mount alpha:/foo /somedirthatdoesntexist will make nfs works again.

Thanks, that has fixed the problem. Since my exports are being mounted by my
diskless mythtv system, I can't easily log in to do the remounts. I have
therefore written a little script which simply performs remounts at regular
intervals.

I will try with an older kernel and then post a bug report to the Gentoo bug
tracker.

Thanks,

Richard Simpson
Re: NFS Server [ In reply to ]
gentoo@huskydog.org.uk (Richard Simpson) writes:
> Thanks, that has fixed the problem.

Sweet.

> Since my exports are being mounted by my diskless mythtv system, I can't
> easily log in to do the remounts. I have therefore written a little
> script which simply performs remounts at regular intervals.

Ugly but if it works...

> I will try with an older kernel and then post a bug report to the Gentoo bug
> tracker.

Ok thanks.

--
Mathieu Chouquet-Stringer