If a jfs-capable CD gets built, could somebody post a notice to this
list? Thanks.

Adios, DW
Re: Alpha boot CD has no jfs tools [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 3:33 PM, Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@gt.rr.com> wrote:
> The install CD for alpha has a module for jfs, but no utils for such a
> filesystem.
> Could the Gentoo boot ISO builder please include them next time?
>
> Mine is from May. I'm guessing it's still the case.
>
> I built a working jfs partition using my ext3 installation. The jfs version
> won't even mount from a Gentoo CD boot.
> My jfs version seems really flaky trying to emerge things. I don't think
> it's hardware. It may not make make a bit of difference, but I'd like to
> redo it from scratch with a "factory" install cd.
>
> If a jfs-capable CD gets built, could somebody post a notice to this list?
> Thanks.

Some particular reason you want to use JFS? I don't think I've ever
used it, much less on alpha.

Probably best to file a bug to ask for jfstools to be included.
Re: Alpha boot CD has no jfs tools [ In reply to ]
On 6/12/2013 1:43 AM, Matt Turner wrote:
> Some particular reason you want to use JFS?
My two regular old computers have a partition with Slackware installed,
one from 2005 and the other 2006. Both are JFS and have not been killed
by power outages or hard resets. I see JFS as "reliable," more so than
EXT3. Once I figured out that aboot didn't care my root partition was
JFS, I was happy. The BSD disklabel has enough slices to squander one
for a boot partition.
I don't think JFS wins any particular performance category, but I think
it's regarded as good all around. I'll put a couple subjective reasons
at the end.

> Probably best to file a bug to ask for jfstools to be included.
Can you point me in the direction of where to file such a bug report?

I figured the alpha developer list is really small and whoever makes the
alpha install CD image would be on this mailing list. I'll download the
latest install image and check first. If jfs is still lacking, I'll try
reporting a bug.

Subjective reasons:
JFS came from IBM. They probably had some quality people developing JFS
for IBM products.
Hans Reiser is a convicted murderer. I don't want ReiserFS on my
computer.
I had a small amount of stock in SGI. They went bankrupt and cost me
money. So, by association, I hate SGI->Irix->XFS. Who needs XFS?
The Gentoo alpha install CD has utils for ReiserFS and XFS. Seems
strange to neglect JFS.
Thanks for the reply.

Adios, DW
Re: Alpha boot CD has no jfs tools [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM, Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@gt.rr.com> wrote:
>> Probably best to file a bug to ask for jfstools to be included.
> Can you point me in the direction of where to file such a bug report?

http://bugs.gentoo.org/

It's less likely to be forgotten if we have a bug to remind us. :)