I looked at the file date for the kernel source on a mirror. It's
pretty old, so it should be the same as what worked before.
I'm wondering about the ebuild, but I don't how such things work. It
worked fine a couple weeks ago.

Any suggestions about how to figure out the problem?

I imagine that emerging gentoo-sources is best, but could I just
download a 3.7.10 tgz file from www.kernel.org and make one that way?

Adios, DW
Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
assuming your doing the install in the chroot environment?

are you able to emerge any other sources? e.g. vanilla-sources?

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
>assuming your doing the install in the chroot environment?
Yes. The clock is right too. (A flaky year seems to be a factory
defect, but I digress...)

>are you able to emerge any other sources? e.g. vanilla-sources?
No. I had tried gentoo-sources this morning from clean reinstall
attempt. That failed, so I emailed this list. After the response, I
tried emerge vanilla-sources. Same result. Then I tried emerge -tav
vanilla-sources.
This put a lot of messages in the log. It ended with:
--/usr/srce/linux-3.7.10/arch/m68k/kernel/
>>>Failed to install sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-3.7.10, ...
Same result.

I looked at the log and there were one or two arches above m68k, but
nothing after. There was no arch/alpha, or even x86. Looks suspicious.
Bad kernel source archive?

Adios, DW
Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
I'm running an emerge --sync now.

We'll see if I can't emerge gentoo-sources (I'm currently running 3.7.9).

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
emerge gentoo-sources emerge'd 3.9.3 not 3.9.10

Doesn't appear that 3.9.10 is available yet.

alpha-omega linux # emerge --search gentoo-sources
Searching...
[ Results for search key : gentoo-sources ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

* sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
Latest version available: 3.9.3
Latest version installed: 3.9.3
Size of files: 70,535 kB
Homepage: http://dev.gentoo.org/~mpagano/genpatches
3.9 kernel tree
License: GPL-2 !deblob? ( freedist )

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
Not sure about 3.7.10,

http://packages.gentoo.org/package/sys-kernel/gentoo-sources?arches=all&full_cat

shows the correct arch's

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
I got 3.7.10 from www.kernel.org yesterday evening. I didn't really
want to do it a la carte, so to speak, but it looks like I kept getting
defective source from gentoo mirrors. I guess my mind was closed to
that possibility. It worked before, so why would it change?

It took a couple iterations to get the kernel config right, but my alpha
works once more.

>I'm running an emerge --sync now.
I'll be curious to see the gentoo-sources result.

Adios, DW
Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
On 5/24/2013 3:16 PM, Brian Parkhurst wrote:
> emerge gentoo-sources emerge'd 3.9.3 not 3.9.10

3.7.10 is the last one marked stable for alpha on the gentoo packages
site. Mine isn's set up to allow anything unstable.

Adios, DW
Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
I'll attempt to download and install gentoo-source-3.7.10 here. I'm
current genkernel building 3.9.3 for kicks at the moment.

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
emerge of 3.7.10 succeeded, currently attempting a genkernel build.

Re: emerge gentoo-sources fails [ In reply to ]
I've successfully built a kernel. I'll reboot the host later this
evening when I'm home and can kick it if the boot hangs.