menuconfig, that's under:
Device Drivers-->Input Device Support-->Event Interface

That's not in the Gentoo Alpha handbook. I guess it's a little stale at
this point.
I've got a suggestion for that, if it does get updated, but I'll put it
in separate post.

Thanks for looking in on this.

Adios, DW
Re: Xorg installation- SOLVED! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM, Don Wilburn <bodhisattva@gt.rr.com> wrote:
> Dear Alpha list,
>
> The problem was in my kernel. I had not enabled evdev. Using make
> menuconfig, that's under:
> Device Drivers-->Input Device Support-->Event Interface
>
> That's not in the Gentoo Alpha handbook. I guess it's a little stale at
> this point.
> I've got a suggestion for that, if it does get updated, but I'll put it in
> separate post.
>
> Thanks for looking in on this.
>
> Adios, DW

Ah! Of course!

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm going to make a note to myself to add a
check for CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV in the xf86-input-evdev ebuilds.

So to confirm, is X working for you now? With what graphics card?

Thanks,
Matt
Re: Xorg installation- SOLVED! [ In reply to ]
>>So to confirm, is X working for you now? With what graphics card?

X is working now. The only thing I've really done is install
windowmaker, but it seems functional.

The graphics card is the original Matrox Millenium, using the mga driver.

In the future, I'll probably put the nVidia card back in. It worked
with Debian and FreeBSD alpha a few years ago, so I don't expect problems.

FWIW, my simple mind thought evdev meant "every device." I knew Xorg
wanted to use evdev, but I didn't realize it was in the kernel under
"event."

Adios, DW