Mailing List Archive

Aborted Journal
Hello,

I was doing an emerge --sync on my Alpha XL 366 today, and it started
saying that it couldn't write on the drive because it was read-only.
Looking at dmesg, I saw this :

sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x70000
end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 10060048

[.... lots of other messages like the previous two lines, where only the sector changes ...]

Aborting journal on device sda7.
EXT3-fs error (device sda7) in ext3_new_inode: Journal has aborted
ext3_abort called.
EXT3-fs error (device sda7): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
Remounting filesystem read-only
EXT3-fs error (device sda7) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
__journal_remove_journal_head: freeing b_committed_data

[... a couple more lines like the previous one ...]

What could cause this? I've had this problem before, and if I remember
correctly it lead to a complete data loss on the drive (argh). This time
it seems not to have happened, because I have rebooted the machine and
everything seems ok. But what could cause this, and what can I do to
prevent it (short of not running emerge --sync :-) ?

Thanks in sdvance,

J-S

Re: Aborted Journal [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 20, 2005 at 04:24:09PM -0500, Jean-Sébastien Guay wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was doing an emerge --sync on my Alpha XL 366 today, and it started
> saying that it couldn't write on the drive because it was read-only.
> Looking at dmesg, I saw this :
>
> sd 0:0:0:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x70000
> end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 10060048
>
> [.... lots of other messages like the previous two lines, where only the
> sector changes ...]

Looks like normal hardware errors. I'd make sure to backup any important
data and change the drive.

> Aborting journal on device sda7.
> EXT3-fs error (device sda7) in ext3_new_inode: Journal has aborted
> ext3_abort called.
> EXT3-fs error (device sda7): ext3_journal_start_sb: Detected aborted journal
> Remounting filesystem read-only
> EXT3-fs error (device sda7) in ext3_reserve_inode_write: Journal has aborted
> __journal_remove_journal_head: freeing b_committed_data
>
> [... a couple more lines like the previous one ...]
Normal behavior in case of harddrive errors. There's a slight chance
this could be caused by a bad driver but then it'd probably always have
been a problem.

> What could cause this? I've had this problem before, and if I remember
> correctly it lead to a complete data loss on the drive (argh). This time
> it seems not to have happened, because I have rebooted the machine and
> everything seems ok. But what could cause this, and what can I do to
> prevent it (short of not running emerge --sync :-) ?

Regards,
Bryan Østergaard
Re: Aborted Journal [ In reply to ]
Hello Brian,

>Looks like normal hardware errors. I'd make sure to backup any important
>data and change the drive.

Is that really the only option? This is my home server, and I don't
really want to change the drive if I don't have to. Could I just run
badblocks and mark the faulty sectors as bad, or something like that?

If not, I guess I'll see what I can do about a new drive. It just seems
that any drive I get off ebay will carry a risk of having problems too,
and "new" drives from retail are just too expensive (the server cost me
25$ originally, so I can't really justify putting a 350$ drive in it).

Thanks,

J-S