Mailing List Archive

compressed kernel file format?
Ok, I'm sure I'm suffering user brain damage, so help
cure me.

I'm trying to boot my XL 366 (a MILO only machine).
I've got a 2.6 kernel built and I'm trying to boot it
without much success. When I go to boot it, MILO is
telling me "invalid compressed file" (or something
like that; it's not in front of me at the moment)

I followed the instruction in the current Gentoo
Handbook (Alpha edition), which says to do a "make &&
make modules_install" (after a "make menuconfig" of
course). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used
to be something like "make bzimage" on Alpha? Is the
handbook wrong?

What am I doing wrong? (I'm sure it's something dumb)

Thanks,
Jeff D

Re: compressed kernel file format? [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeff,

>I followed the instruction in the current Gentoo
>Handbook (Alpha edition), which says to do a "make &&
>make modules_install" (after a "make menuconfig" of
>course). Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't it used
>to be something like "make bzimage" on Alpha? Is the
>handbook wrong?

Nope, the handbook isn't wrong. 'make bzImage' was used for 2.4.x
kernels I believe.

Just to be sure, check that you're copying the right file to your /boot
partition. it should be /usr/src/linux/arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz .
Other images you may find in the directory structure seem to be
intermediate files, including the one that ends up in the kernel's root
directory (/usr/src/linux), which always struck me as being strange, but
hey, I'm no Linus Torvalds... :-)

I always do this after a kernel compile (I'm sure it's pretty standard
stuff, so it could be made into a script of some sort...) :
cp arch/alpha/boot/vmlinux.gz /boot/vmlinux.gz-<version>
cp System.map /boot/System.map-<version>
cp .config /boot/config-<version>
cd /boot
rm vmlinux.gz # remove symlink to old kernel
ln -s vmlinux.gz-<version> vmlinux.gz
rm vmlinux.gz-old # remove symlink to old old kernel (if that makes
sense...)
ln -s vmlinux.gz-<previous version> vmlinux.gz-old

I always keep entries in AlphaBIOS's boot menu that boot vmlinux.gz and
vmlinux.gz-old. It's proved to be a useful habit... :-) The third boot
option is a straight MILO prompt, for times when I need to boot off the
LiveCD or whatever.

Good luck,

J-S

Re: compressed kernel file format? [ In reply to ]
J-S, et. al,

My compressed kernel problem seems to be something to
do with my MILO! It will load the uncompressed kernel
just fine! Well, it loads it, but it hangs when MILO
tries to jump to the kernel code.... forward progress
anyway.

J-S, can you give me a pointer to the MILO you are
using for your XLT? I've had mine for so long, I don't
know where I got it from anymore.

Could it be that the MILO I have was built with some
version of libz incompatible with current kernels
builds?

Now on to getting it to actually boot.....

Jeff D

Re: compressed kernel file format? [ In reply to ]
Hi Jeff,

>J-S, can you give me a pointer to the MILO you are
>using for your XLT? I've had mine for so long, I don't
>know where I got it from anymore.

I can send it to you privately if you want. It'll be following this
mail. I don't really remember by heart which version I use... So it's
easier to send it to you. :-)

>Could it be that the MILO I have was built with some
>version of libz incompatible with current kernels
>builds?

I doubt it... One thing to check : I have found that MILO does some name
mangling when there are more than one period in the filename. For
example, even though the initrd's filename on the 2005.0 Gentoo LiveCD
is gentoo_2.4.igz, I have to type 'initrd=gentoo_2_4.igz' in my boot
command. Maybe something similar is happening to you? At the MILO
prompt, try doing an 'ls' on your boot partition / directory to see what
MILO sees the filenames as.

Other than that, I don't have any other ideas... Generally, if you use
the filename as seen in an 'ls' from the MILO prompt, the kernel should
start to load, and after that it all depends on the build options and
other parameters in the boot command. With my MILO image, anyways, I can
boot my latest kernels without any problems.

Good luck,

J-S