Mailing List Archive

another Portage problem
just emerged the 2.0.51 Portage update. During the
update, I got the message:

* Checking //var/lib/portage for bad/illegal files:
ln: accessing `../../lib/portage/world': No such file
or directory

Anyone think this is a problem?

RE: another Portage problem [ In reply to ]
It was the same problem I had with my server 10 days ago. The new portage
re-did the /var/cache/edb to /var/lib/portage/

Here's a snippet from the gentoo site.

FHS compliance

This new Portage release introduces some file relocations:

* The virtuals file (/var/cache/edb/virtuals) is no longer used. It is
now calculated transparently.
* The world-file is now located inside /var/lib/portage instead of
/var/cache/edb.
* /etc/portage/profile/virtuals is for user configurations only.

Thanks to the relocation of the world-file and dynamic checking of the
virtuals, Portage is now FHS-compliant. For instance, data within /var/cache
can be removed at will - it is actually cache data now.

You can read more:
http://www.gentoo.org/news/20041021-portage51.xml

Brian Parkhurst
brianp@prodigy.net
www.pyrobrian.com

RE: another Portage problem [ In reply to ]
Thanks, Brian. I assume messages like the following
are also related? -

QA Notice: ECLASS 'eutils' inherited illegally in
x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r1

QA Notice: ECLASS 'flag-o-matic' inherited illegally
in x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r1

QA Notice: ECLASS 'toolchain-funcs' inherited
illegally in x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r1

QA Notice: ECLASS 'gcc' inherited illegally in
x11-misc/ttmkfdir-3.0.9-r1

Jeff D