Mailing List Archive

gentoo on a DS25
I would like to keep you updated on what's going here, while I'm
installing gentoo on a DS25...
Booting from CD-ROM does not work at all. A colleague installed a
redhat 7.2 on it and I could boot it, then installing gentoo on
another HD, chrooting in it and all the common stuff in the procedure.
Since I have no network connectivity I downloaded all the files
needed on a CD-RW. It should be added that, once the installation is
complete, I could not run 'emerge' because an error in python (not
able to load libgcc_s.so.1). I had to download python2.3, compile it
into the redhat system and copy into the chrooted gentoo environment.
I was quite confident that gentoo would boot, but from the SRM
environment the DS25 freezes while trying to load the gentoo kernel...
Now I'm trying to move the redhat kernel into the /boot partition of
gentoo but I'm getting errors like:

or

Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Actually I got the second error first, I tried to rebuild a initrd
and then I got the second error...

I have one more doubt: how the /etc/fstab would figure? I mean,
looking at the gentoo handbook I see a *traditional* fstab, like

/dev/sda2 / ext2 etc.

but the redhat fstab is slightly different, meaning that the first
entry is not the device but something like

LABEL=/ / ext2 etc.

Any hint on this?

Thanks again

Davide
Re: gentoo on a DS25 [ In reply to ]
Hi Davide,

there have been similar issues before, try searching the history of the
newsgroup for those messages.
Long story short, try booting and installing Gentoo with a Kernel from
tree 2.4, for easier use, get a Gentoo Installation-CD like 2004.3 .
When I did setup some DS20E, booting and installing with the 2004.3
minimalCD went on nice and smooth, but the 2005.0 didnt even boot up
( when using the Kernel from free 2.6 ).

Hope this helps,

Nils

Re: gentoo on a DS25 [ In reply to ]
Hi all,

> When I did setup some DS20E, booting and installing with the 2004.3
> minimalCD went on nice and smooth, but the 2005.0 didnt even boot up
> ( when using the Kernel from free 2.6 ).

You can try booting the 2.4 kernel that's included on the 2005.x liveCD
too. That kernel is included for MILO-only machines (like mine) but if
it allows you to install with less problems than the 2.6 kernel, great!

J-S

Re: gentoo on a DS25 [ In reply to ]
Hi Nils, thanks for answering

On Sep 17, 2005, at 11:40 AM, Nils o. Janus wrote:

> Hi Davide,
>
> there have been similar issues before, try searching the history of
> the newsgroup for those messages.

Yes, I know it, since the old messages have been posted by a
colleague of mine, who was on vacation in these two weeks... Tomorrow
I'm going to go on with him in installing Gentoo.
Actually I left the DS25 on friday bootstrapping the system (stage 1
installation). I chrooted into gentoo starting from an installed
RedHat 7.2
Tomorrow I'm going to emerge alpha-sources for compiling and
installing the kernel. Let's cross the fingers!

Re: gentoo on a DS25 [ In reply to ]
--- Davide Cittaro <daweonline@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tomorrow I'm going to emerge alpha-sources for
> compiling and
> installing the kernel. Let's cross the fingers!

Don't use alpha-sources. They are way old and
unmaintained anymore. Use plain old vanilla-sources
which will give you a 2.6 kernel.

Jeff D