Mailing List Archive

Some questions about DS25
Hi all, I'm trying to install Gentoo on a DS25 machine and it seems
to be really hard... Anyway, I've just a couple of question:
1- I'm reading the DS25 owner manual where is written about the
os_type to be set. This is the first time I have an alpha to manage,
so I wonder how much is important writing

>>> set os_type Linux
>>> init

as written in the manual. I mean, what does that env variable
*changes*. I ask this beacuse it seems that google is full of

>>> set os_type Unix

and Linux isn't mentioned.

2- I remember of a CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS variable into
the kernel config file, I remeber I read something about its setting
to be able to boot a linux kernel on a DS25. Unfortunately I cannot
find that information anymore. Can anybody help me? Should
CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS be set to y or n? And why?

Thanks in advance

Davide
Re: Some questions about DS25 [ In reply to ]
--- Davide Cittaro <daweonline@gmail.com> wrote:

> as written in the manual. I mean, what does that env
> variable
> *changes*. I ask this beacuse it seems that google
> is full of

> and Linux isn't mentioned.

The SRM only recognizes the values "unix" or "vms".
When running Linux, leave it set to "UNIX".
What this does is actually change the behavior of
calls to palcode for the OS running on top of it.

> Should
> CONFIG_ALPHA_LEGACY_START_ADDRESS be set to y or n?
> And why?

I believe it should be set to "n". The only time you
should need to set it to "y" is if you are running
MILO as your boot loader. The only time you should be
really running MILO these days instead of Aboot is if
your machine doesn't have an SRM console and only has
ARC or AlphaBios (like my XLT machine). Ruffian based
systems might be an exception to this, but I've never
touched one of those and don't remember.

Jeff D