t/compaq-jdk-1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait, version
GLIBC_2
.0 not defined in file libc.so.6.1 with link time reference

Any ideas?

Also this version of glibc build breaks the compaq compiler, specifically
the libcxml library.
However, I've been getting away from using the native Compaq compiler and
toying with other GCC Alpha specific compile time options.

Re: Recent Glibc breaks CPQ-Java? [ In reply to ]
Hi Brian:

Sorry for my delayed response ... i'm quite busy lately trying to finish
some real live (tm) issues.

> I've rebuilt my glibc 2.3.4.20041102-r1 recently and now I'm getting a
> strange error with java-config. (mainly I did this because the gcc
> version upgraded to 3.3.6 ).
>
> Can't load library "/opt/compaq-jdk-1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so",
> because /op
> t/compaq-jdk-1.3.1/jre/lib/alpha/libjava.so: symbol __libc_wait,
> version GLIBC_2
> .0 not defined in file libc.so.6.1 with link time reference
> Could not create the Java virtual machine.
>
> Any ideas?

First of all, i would like to clarify that java related bugs in gentoo
alpha aren't the first in our TODO list. This has a quite simple
explanation: Only java virtual machine actually in portage is
"java-compaq" which is not maintained upstream since 1.3.1, so try to
solve bugs without upstream support and without new 1.4 (or 1.5) java
branch could be very bad idea.

Summarizing: java bugs are always welcome (of course) but response might
be very slow or non-existant.

After this, I have to say that last month i was playing with java
trying to make things work on alpha and i found same problem with
__libc_wait.

I found a patch (in some alpha related malling list) that works fine for
me, if you want give it a look:

- 1. Download the patch
http://dev.gentoo.org/~yoswink/alpha/libcwait.c

- 2. Place where you want, and compile it with:
gcc -shared -o libcwait.so libcwait.c -fpic -O

- 3. Preload the patch writing at the beginning of /opt/compaq-jdk/bin/java
LD_PRELOAD=/path-to-file/libcwait.so
export LD_PRELOAD

I would appreciate a lot that you report the results, maybe we could
include it into the tree if it solves some of our problems.

I hope back to have some free time for Gentoo at the end of this month
to continue playing with java and trying to get 1.4 branch in alpha.

Bye and sorry again for the delay.

Re: Recent Glibc breaks CPQ-Java? [ In reply to ]
I appreciate the feedback. I haven't had the time myself to research and
thought I'd ask if anyone else had seen it. Before delving further into it
and filing a bug report. (I like to try and figure out the solution or at
least part way down the path before filing a bug).

I knew the runtime was the old compaq java and have been trying to locate a
source to a more recent release. Just some of the stuff I've installed on
my alpha now doesn't work as the jvm fails.

I'll try the patch when I get another shot at it and report back soonest.

Brian Parkhurst
brianp@spamcop.net

RE: Recent Glibc breaks CPQ-Java? [ In reply to ]
It appears that and a similar fix for the ctype errors with the compaq
extended math library has resolved this issue.

Thanks again.

FYI.

I've found the following CFLAGS very useful on my Alpha:

CFLAGS=-O3 -mcpu=ev56 -mtune=ev56 -mieee -mno-soft-float -mfp-regs -pipe
-pthread

(the -mno-soft-float -mfp-regs attempt to use the internal FP components of
the Alpha processor and the -mieee corrects for NAN (not-a-number, e.g.
divide by zero) issues).

Anyone have other/better optimizations for ev56 class?