Mailing List Archive

Problem installing gentoo linux/genkernel environ on alpha platform
I have been trying to install gentoo linux on a miata-class alpha platform and,
after following the instructions in the gentoo linux handbook, I still can't
seem to achieve a working system.
I am using a livecd burned from the gentoo-alpha-2004_2-20040730.iso download.
I used a stage1 tarball stage1-alpha-20040730.tbz2 to perform the installation,
and all seemed to go according to the gentoo handbook instructions. I chose the
genkernel option, and its creation/build also seemed to match the gentoo
handbook material.
The kernel version is kernel-2.4.21-alpha-r12. The step where the system disk
is made bootable and a bootloader is configured is where I seem to be failing.
I chose to configure/use the aboot bootloader; however, I can't seem to find
any directions, other than some minimal general material in the aboot, abootconf
and aboot.conf man pages, which describe how to set up abbot and boot the
kernel built during the installation.
Am I using the most recent, stable gentoo linux installation distribution for
the alpha platform?
Has anyone successfully built a genkernel from the above distribution and
booted it? If so, how did you set up the aboot environment?
The specific problem I am having is:

boot dkc0 -fl "i"

...stuff leading to the aboot scondary bootloader menu...
jumping to bootstrap code
aboot: Linux/Alpha SRM bootloader version 0.9bpre
aboot: switching to OSF/1 PALcode version 1.22
aboot: booting from device 'SCSI 0 1009 0 0 0 0 0'
aboot: valid disklabel found: 3 partitions.
Welcome to aboot 0.9bpre
Commands:
(the menu)

I give the command (wrapped for readability)

b /boot/kernel-2.4.21-alpha-r12 initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.21-alpha-r12
root=/dev/ram0 real_root=/dev/sda2 init=/linuxrc

the boot begins with loading the kernel after a number of device/driver
configurations but hangs at the point

IP protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP, IGMP
IP: routing cache hash table of 1024 buckets, 8Kbytes
TCP: Hash table configured (established 16384 bind 16384)
NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0.
FAT: bogus logical sector size 0
You didn't specify the type of your ufs filesystem

<...a sample mount command...>

>>>WARNING<<< Wrong ufstype may corrupt your filesystem, default is ufstype=old
ufs_read_super: bad magic number
read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00,block 64, size 1024)
read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00,block 8, size 1024)
kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

The dkc0 disk label has 3 partitions:
a: the swap partition (starting at cylinder 3)
b: the root partition with filesystem type ext2
c: the whole disk partition

I have probably missed/misundertood an installation step or haven't guessed the
correct aboot command so, if someone could provide an example of a working
aboot environment for a working alpha gentoo linux installation, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks for your help
Bill Glessner - System programmer
Central Washington University

Re: Problem installing gentoo linux/genkernel environ on alpha platform [ In reply to ]
What are the contents of the /etc/fstab-file? Looks like the boot is looking for
a reiserfs-partition. Have you set the correct filesystems there?

/Fluff

Citerar Bill.Glessner@cwu.EDU:

> [...]
> You didn't specify the type of your ufs filesystem
>
> <...a sample mount command...>

> ufstype=old
> ufs_read_super: bad magic number
> read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00,block 64,
> size 1024)
> read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00,block 8,
> size 1024)
> kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00
>
> The dkc0 disk label has 3 partitions:
> a: the swap partition (starting at cylinder 3)
> b: the root partition with filesystem type ext2
> c: the whole disk partition
>
> I have probably missed/misundertood an installation step or haven't guessed
> the
> correct aboot command so, if someone could provide an example of a working
> aboot environment for a working alpha gentoo linux installation, I would

Fluff Abrahamsson
TIMELESS SOLUTIONS

T: 070 88 88 708
F: 070 88 88 701
E: fluff@fluff.se
#: 4049844

[Proudly presents: hypodea.com and photochallenge.net]

---
IMPORTANT NOTICE!

The contents of this email are confidential and are for the exclusive use of the
intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) please note that
any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the
information in it is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Please note that,
although this email has been virus-checked, neither Timeless Solutions HB nor
the sender accepts any responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility
to scan the email and attachments (if any). If you believe you have received
this communication in error, please return it (with the title "received in
error") to the sender then delete the email and destroy any copies of it. We
would be grateful if you would also copy the communication to service@fluff.se

Re: Problem installing gentoo linux/genkernel environ on alpha platform [ In reply to ]
The contents of the /etc/fstab are

/dev/sda1 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/sda2 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/sdb1 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom auto noauto,user,ro 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

Bill

Re: Problem installing gentoo linux/genkernel environ on alpha platform [ In reply to ]
Hi,

From the output below, it appears that aboot is working fine given that
the kernel has loaded. This looks like a problem with your ramdisk image
to me. I agree, check your fstab, but on the ramdisk image.

> ufs_read_super: bad magic number
> read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00,block 64, size 1024)
> read_super_block: can't find a reiserfs filesystem on (dev 01:00,block 8, size 1024)
> kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

The device file with major:minor number 01:00 is /dev/ram0 or /dev/rd/0
depending on whether you are using devfs.

-Tony

Tony Hammond
Computing Cluster Administrator
University of Wisconsin at Madison