Mailing List Archive

Samba and Windows XP Explorer
Hi Guys,

Did anyone figure out why Windows XP explorer seems to exhibit strange behavior when accessing a Samba Gentoo Alpha share? Here are a couple of the problems that I'm seeing:

Creating a folder: XP seems to create a 'New Folder' and 'New Folder 2' folder when using the menus.

Drag and Drop Copy: I can drag a file onto a folder and the file is placed correctly into the folder, but if I drag a file into an open folder window it fails with an error saying that the share is unavailable

I saw some comments earlier, but didn't see a resolution. Any luck?

Re: Samba and Windows XP Explorer [ In reply to ]
Hi Ben,

> Did anyone figure out why Windows XP explorer seems to exhibit strange
> behavior when accessing a Samba Gentoo Alpha share? Here are a couple
> of the problems that I'm seeing:
>
> Creating a folder: XP seems to create a 'New Folder' and 'New Folder
> 2' folder when using the menus.
>
> Drag and Drop Copy: I can drag a file onto a folder and the file is
> placed correctly into the folder, but if I drag a file into an open
> folder window it fails with an error saying that the share is unavailable
>
> I saw some comments earlier, but didn't see a resolution. Any luck?

I've had these same problems, and some others (like when saving a file
from Firefox (Windows machine) to a Gentoo Samba share, Firefox asks if
I want to overwrite the file but it didn't exist before... It looks as
if either Samba or Firefox created a 0 byte file with the same name
right before I clicked OK to the save dialog...)

I haven't found any way to fix the problem.

If you check your syslog, when the problems happen there seems to be an
error logged by Samba stating something like a "signal 11" happened, and
to check the Samba docs about that. In the docs (and in several google
searches I've done on the subject), what it says is basically that a
signal 11 would either be caused by a programming error (bug) or faulty
memory. Now, I tested my memory extensively lately, and I haven't found
any problems... The weird thing is that so many people use Samba daily,
I would have thought that if it was indeed caused by a bug, it would
have been found and fixed pretty quickly.

Right now I'm kinda busy, and this problem is minor for me considering
what I use the machine for. But my next step, when I had some time, was
to get on the samba mailing list and see what they had to say about
this. If you want to go ahead and do that, be my guest... And please
report what you find out here.

If not, I guess in a few weeks time I'll try and go a bit further on this.

Good luck,

J-S

Re: Samba and Windows XP Explorer [ In reply to ]
I've been having the same problems; unfortunately I too haven't been able
to find a solution. I'd be very interested in any fixes!

Marnix.