Mailing List Archive

Re: AS 2000 4/233 -Booted !
Re: AS 2000 4/233 -Booted ! [ In reply to ]
mathewt@lucent.com wrote:

>I used the 1.4rc1_test4 .iso and it was able to boot the machine
>
>Not sure if it sees all the devices (disks) yet, I will have to
>look into that once I have a basic installation going
>
>I would probably have more questions for the list once I start
>getting into the installation and upgrade to 2005.0 packages
>
>best regards, Mathew

Great news!

<Gentoo-doc team spam>

Mathew you can check our upgrading guides if need some help with the
process:

[1] Gentoo upgrading to 1.4
[2] Gentoo upgrading from 1.4 to 2000.5

Also available in several non-english languages if you prefer.

</Gentoo-doc team spam>

Congratulations ;)

Re: AS 2000 4/233 -Booted ! [ In reply to ]
Re: AS 2000 4/233 -Booted ! [ In reply to ]
Once you've partitioned your drive.

copy a stage2 build for you type of hardware (ev5 or ev56 probably). to the
root directory of the new boot drive.

then follow"

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-alpha.xml

The steps listed for stage2 buildout.

You will probably need a working internet connection for this step. You can
download the stages from any gentoo mirror.
Or once booted you could use the Gentoo Alpha universal for a 2005.0 build
to get the stages and skip the upgrade process, since you are working on a
clean system. The biggest trick will be to build a Kernel that supports the
hardware and getting the drive bootlayer layed down.